Search similar:

uniqs

Robert_in_MD
@verizon.net

Robert_in_MD to DaDrgon

Anon

to DaDrgon

Re: How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge

As I posted elsewhere (»Re: Just moved, got my FIOS (on ethernet), have questions ...), this is what I did and it works.

1) I released the IP from the ActionTec MI424WR.
2) Unplugged the router and reset it to factory defaults.
3) Plugged it in and it obtained IP from the ONT.
4) Changed the default password.
5) Unplugged the set-top boxes (cord from the back, not from the wall) and replugged after 60 seconds.
6) ActionTec had DHCP server and it got the boxes.
7) Turned off wireless

8) I ran cable from LAN port on ActionTec to WAN port on my D-Link. My D-Link LAN address is 192.168.0.1 while the ActionTec is the default of 192.168.1.1
9) In the WAN settings page on the D-Link, changed it to Static IP address and it obtained 192.168.1.5 from the ActionTec.
10) In the WAN settings page on the D-Link, entered ISP Gateway Address and Primary DNS Address both to 192.168.1.1.
11) D-Link DHCP server assigns IPs to things on my network as before.

My network is online via the D-Link and the set top boxes get their info through the ActionTec. Verizon can do what it wants to the set top boxes via the ActionTec but they won't get into my home network.

I can access me D-link router via 192.168.0.1 in my browser and the ActionTec via 192.168.1.1

Speed before I did this:

Speed after I did this:

logmonkey
join:2008-01-07
Portland, OR

logmonkey to DaDrgon

to DaDrgon
Hi I was wondering if anyone has tried to set up a coax to Ethernet bridge near your entertainment center to work with the Actiontec.

I have my theater in a place where I can't use wireless or powerline adapters to get a good enough signal to stream HD. Since I have an Actiontec I was looking into the possibility of connecting a coax to Ethernet bridge in my theater to use to connect my NMT and soon to be purchased Tivo.

Has anyone seen this done? Is it possible?

Thanks!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by logmonkey:

Hi I was wondering if anyone has tried to set up a coax to Ethernet bridge near your entertainment center to work with the Actiontec.
This is straight-forward. This post
»Re: Using 2 Actiontec routers on the same network
describes using a second Actiontec at a remote location where only coax is available. Although the post discusses using a second Actiontec, the same thing is possible using a NIM-100 MOCA bridge.

You can usually find used Actiontec and/or NIM-100s on ebay.
»search.ebay.com/search/s ··· tegory0=
»search.ebay.com/search/s ··· tegory0=
logmonkey
Portland, OR

logmonkey

Cool, Thanks MoreFiber.

I've been doing some research and found some HPNA & HCNA products. Are these the same standards or compatible?

My biggest problem is deciding whether I should invest the additional money or just stick with my poor powerline with the logic that some connectivity is better than none.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

HCNA is not the same as MOCA. HCNA uses the frequency spectrum below 30Mhz and is capable of 16 or 32 Mbps under best conditions. IMHO, HCNA is dead in the water.

MOCA runs above 950Mhz and supports data rates up to 270Mbps.

Used Actiontecs are selling on Ebay for $30, while the less capable, but no longer manufactured, NIM-100s are going for about $50.

The NIM-100 provides a simple MOCA to cat5 bridge. That function is built into the Actiontec. My suggestion is to spend $30 for a used Actiontec and use that as a MOCA to cat5 bridge for your Tivo.
sxotty
join:2006-12-08
College Station, TX

sxotty to DaDrgon

to DaDrgon
I just wanted to say I followed the directions and they worked perfectly, but then the power went out and I had a very strange problem.

I could no longer log into my dlink router, instead it went to the login page of the Actiontec. I then logged in succesfully to the actiontec, but did not remember what to do to get it working as a bridge and could not access the internet.

Swapped the ethernet cable to actiontec (leaving dlink out) and then got on the internet to get instructions again. I have yet to swap it back over, but it just seemed like a weird issue and I wondered if anyone had an idea why this would occur.
logmonkey
Portland, OR

logmonkey to More Fiber

to More Fiber
I've been reading that most, if not all, installations are ONT to COAX to Actiontec. I, however, have both COAX and CAT5 going to the ONT.

That being the case are there any changes to the instructions I've seen posted?

Also this seems to be the only forums (according to Google) on FIOS, MoCa, and the actiontec router. Any other good forums or sites for info?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

said by logmonkey:

I, however, have both COAX and CAT5 going to the ONT.

That being the case are there any changes to the instructions I've seen posted?

Also this seems to be the only forums (according to Google) on FIOS, MOCA, and the Actiontec router. Any other good forums or sites for info?
The ONT breaks out 3 different "services".
1) Telephone is on POTS.
2) Video (except VOD) is always on coax.
3a) Internet over coax (standard), OR
3b) Internet over cat5 (but not both).

So if you have FIOS-TV and internet, then you have #2 plus 3a or 3b. Only 3b involves both a cat5 and coax connection to the ONT. You can verify that the cat5 connection is the active connection by logging into the Actiontec. The main status page should show "coax status: connected" for (3a) or "ethernet status: connected" (3b).

If the status page shows "ethernet connected", then you don't have to worry about any of the bridging instructions.
If the status page shows "coax connected", then your WAN connection is over the coax, and you need to either switch the WAN connection to cat5, or follow one of set sets of instructions for bridging.

The following post has instructions for connecting your own own router once you have a cat5 connection:
»Re: Smoothwall
Follow the instructions starting with:
At this point, you should you have the Actiontec & STB's working on a cat5 connection. If not, stop and resolve the issue before proceeding.
logmonkey
Portland, OR

logmonkey to M509272

to M509272
said by M509272:

.... I probably disabled the AT WAN port with my tinkering.
Thanks for the previous instructions M. So does this mean the switch on the Actiontec is autosensing uplink?

I moved my AT "behind" my Dlink, but still had NAT problems because of all my STB's. I did not know that I could have bypass the WAN port and saved hours of research. I ended up TELNETTing to the router and disabling the firewall and NAT from the command line.

Phybertek
@sbcglobal.net

Phybertek to DaDrgon

Anon

to DaDrgon
Sxotty, when u lost power both the Actiontec and the Dlink went back to their default WAN IP addresses of 192.168.1.1 and the packets would no longer traverse from the Actiontec to the Dlink. The fix is to change the WAN IP on the Dlink per the instructions by leaving it by itself and powered up and connecting your PC to a lan port and changing the default WAN IP in the Dlink per the instructions.

drggfish
@verizon.net

drggfish to DaDrgon

Anon

to DaDrgon
Hi - I got Fios installed about 6 months ago. I have been reading this thread and was wondering if it was still applicable? I only have coax into the ActionTec - I currently run ethernet from the Actiontec to my PC for one computer and use wireless on my laptop. I want to be able to use my own router (Cisco 3640) and am considering trying what is explained in this thread. If I hose it up -can I set the Actiontec back to original configuration by doing these steps in reverse? Also, what is the WAN link on the Actiontec for? I thought WAN links were serial - this looks like an RZ45 connector to me.
Thanks

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by drggfish :

I have been reading this thread and was wondering if it was still applicable? I only have coax into the Actiontec.

If I hose it up -can I set the Actiontec back to original configuration by doing these steps in reverse?

If you have FIOS-TV, and want to bridge the Actiontec, you will want to follow this thread:
»Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

There are some downsides to configuring the Actiontec as a bridge. For one, it will lose the configured bridge on a power failure.

If you hose up the Actiontec in trying to bridge it, just do a hard reset on the Actiontec by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds.
said by drggfish :

I want to be able to use my own router (Cisco 3640) and am considering trying what is explained in this thread. Also, what is the WAN link on the Actiontec for?
The Actiontec supports two type of connections to your ONT.
1) Coax, which is what you have, and is VZ's standard install
2) cat5 ethernet.

If you want to run your own router, you would be better off switching to a cat5 ethernet WAN connection to the ONT. Instructions can be found here:
»/faq/15981

drggfish
@verizon.net

drggfish to DaDrgon

Anon

to DaDrgon
Hi = I have been reading this post and was wondering why you can't just connect an additional router to one of the ActionTec ethernet ports using a crossover cable- will this not work?
Also - what is the "WAN" port for on the Actiontec?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by drggfish :

Also - what is the "WAN" port for on the Actiontec?
In reality, there are two paths that data can take to get into the Actiontec from the Wide Area Network (WAN) geting to the devices on the Local Area Network (LAN).

The Actiontec has a WAN port on the coax, and it has a WAN port on the ethernet. Only one can be used at a time. You indicate your router is only hooked up with coax, so your WAN port is currently on the coax line. Therefore, the other WAN port on your Actiontec is not used.

That said, there is a coax LAN as well, and these signals ride on the same coax wire as the coax WAN signals. The difference is the signals are carried on different RF frequencies so both signals can exist without interference.
birdfeedr

birdfeedr to drggfish

MVM

to drggfish
said by drggfish :

I want to be able to use my own router (Cisco 3640) and am considering trying what is explained in this thread.
Easiest method for you is to bridge and see if that solves your connectivity needs. With bridging, it is only a matter of configuring both routers. With changing your WAN port to ethernet, you also have to run new wire between the ONT and the router.

It sounds like you do not have TV, is that true? If you do have TV, then choose one of the links in More Fiber's post. Otherwise, continue with instructions in this thread.

You *can* connect your Cisco to the Actiontec, either WAN-to-LAN or LAN-to-LAN. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. But unless you bridge, you're still stuck with the limitations of the Actiontec.

I'm curious. Besides using your 3640, what is your objective? Are you having problems with the Actiontec?

I've changed to a non-standard installation because I want to, not because I need to. Hey, it's my network, let me learn something new. At least that's my feeling.
drggfish1
join:2008-06-21
Chantilly, VA

drggfish1

Birdfeedr - I do have tv and obviously don't want to hose that up (my wife and 6 year old would kill me).
Objective - I am trying to learn some router security fundamentals on my own and want a clean connection to the "Network" without any firewall, etc from a router other than one I configure. I want to have my Cisco as my gateway and be able to work with the Cisco IOS and IPS functionality.
Does this make sense?
Thanks

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to drggfish

MVM

to drggfish
said by drggfish :

Hi = I was wondering why you can't just connect an additional router to one of the Actiontec ethernet ports using a crossover cable- will this not work?
The easiest way to connect another router is to simply install it behind the Actiontec, creating a second subnet. The down-side of this is that you are still going through the Actiontec, and subject to issues in Actiontec, such as the small NAT table. This also creates a situation where devices behind your router are "double NAT-ed" and any port forwarding needs to be down in both routers.

The "cleanest" installation for what you want to do with the Cisco is with a direct ethernet connection from the Optional Network Terminal (ONT) to your router as both birdfeedr See Profile and I have already explained.

By the way, you probably don't need a crossover cable. Most recent switches and routers support MDI-X, also called auto-sensing.

Follow the steps in the FAQ I posted above. Verify that everything works where indicated, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

johnazuretechorg
@verizon.net

johnazuretechorg to DaDrgon

Anon

to DaDrgon
I followed the instructions to the letter... .only problem is, my router still pulls a private IP address from the Actiontec.... ie 192.168.1.x

Any suggestions?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

You might have better luck following this thread.

This thread disables DHCP server in the Actiontec, while DaDragon See Profile's post at the start of this thread does not.

Take it one step at a time. Check your work as you go. Do not skip any steps.
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

jca2050 to DaDrgon

Premium Member

to DaDrgon
Using the steps from the OP, would it be possible to obtain my internet IP on my computer through the Actiontec? So MY ip will be 72.* that goes straight to the internet?
jca2050

1 edit

jca2050

Premium Member

I just setup up my Actiontec as a bridge and tried obtaining an IP from Verizon directly to my computer but it didn't work. I plugged in my wired D-Link router to the Actiontec and set it up and the D-Link router can obtain an IP from Verizon. Why can my D-Link router obtain one but I can't?
sperk8
join:2006-02-18

sperk8 to DaDrgon

to DaDrgon
where is the RJ45 jack on the ONT? I have a big box called a telephone network adaptor then a smaller white box below that with no name which I guess is the ONT (it has a large black battery in it and has a very thin cord running out of it and into the house where it connects with another nameless box that apparently connects wirelessly to the Actiontec). Anyway, if this is the ONT it has no visible RJ45 jack, in fact that thin wire connects somewhere behind the unit but it's flush to the wall and I can't see the connection.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

JohnA4

Premium Member

Open .. the .. door (cover) on it.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber to sperk8

MVM

to sperk8
said by sperk8:

where is the RJ45 jack on the ONT? I have a big box called a telephone network adaptor then a smaller white box below that with no name which I guess is the ONT (it has a large black battery in it and has a very thin cord running out of it and into the house where it connects with another nameless box that apparently connects wirelessly to the Actiontec).
The box with the battery is your Battery Backup Unit (BBU).

The ONT is usually mounted outside, but can also be mounted inside:

Inside BBU and ONT

The BBU is on top, the ONT on the bottom. You also have a Power Supply (PS) unit that plugs into your AC.

As JohnA4 See Profile points out, the customer connections to the ONT are inside the outer door (removed in above picture):

Tellabs 611 ONT

VZ uses several different models of ONT, that vary in features and appearance, but they all have the same basic connections:
•POTS
•RJ45 for cat5 WAN (not used with MOCA installs)
•F connector for RG6 coax (TV and MOCA WAN)

In the above picture, the RJ45 jack is on the left, the RJ11 POTS jacks are in the center and the coax connector is on the right.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to DaDrgon

Mod

to DaDrgon

(topic move) [Split] How can I use ASA firewall - c0ldshadow

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 5 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Split] How can I use ASA firewall - c0ldshadow
MxChris3
join:2004-11-10
Sarasota, FL

MxChris3 to DaDrgon

to DaDrgon

Will bridging the Actiontec break any TV features like the menu, onscreen display, VOD etc.?

I've been trying to get this Actiontec router working with my XBOX/Microsoft Wireless adapter for the longest time to no avail, this seems like the best solution if I don't lose those TV functions.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by MxChris3:

Will bridging the Actiontec break any TV features like the menu, onscreen display, VOD etc.?
If you follow this bridging Guide, your VOD and guide data should not be affected:
»(FAQ #15871 no longer exists)
Expand your moderator at work
syona
join:2008-08-31

syona to DaDrgon

to DaDrgon

To all of you having trouble setting this up, trust me, this will work. I have called Verizon about 3 times, DO NOT let them tell you this config is not supported, because it is. Bridging the coax broadband connection and ethernet connection is the key to getting your third party router an external IP address. THE KEY is either unplugging the actiontec router and waiting for the DHCP lease to expire, or calling them to manually break the lease. You also have to be sure the router is no longer trying to grab an IP. I suggest setting this config up while the coax is disconnected, and then plug everything in after you are completely done.

Again, to reiterate, do not let them tell you something cannot be done, this tutorial definitely works if you only have FiOS internet connected to the ONT via coax. For those with TV, I am not sure.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by syona:

DO NOT let them tell you this config is not supported.
To imply that VZ supports this configuration is misleading.

VZ will release the DHCP lease when you ask. As you discovered, sometimes you have to be persistent.

However, they will NOT provide technical support with this configuration.
•They will not answer questions about or troubleshoot this configuration.
•If you have any problems with the Actiontec, they will have you do a HARD reset of the Actiontec, restoring it to factory defaults before they will troubleshoot any issues.

Users with FIOS-TV that want to bridge the Actiontec and keep VOD and guide data should follow the instructions here: