Search similar:

uniqs
cup_prof
join:2007-01-22
Clarion, PA

cup_prof

Mac + AtlanticBB = Frustration

Howdy!

I just climbed onto the Atlantic Broadband wagon a week or so ago. I live in a very rural area and was SO thankful when Atlantic Broadband came. However, I'm having troubles....

The tech guys installed the equipment and got my older mac (OS 9.2) to work. They explained nothing, they said it's working, and they left... and it is working.... quite well. But, I have a newer Mac laptop with OS X (10.4) and have no idea how to connect it. Can anyone help? I'd like to use it online instead of the older machine.

I've set the network settings to DHCP, just like on the older Mac, but I cannot connect to the Internet with the newer OS. It's almost like the cable modem was configured to talk to an older system, but ignores the newer one.

Sorry to ramble.... I just need answers, and their tech support isn't supplying them.

Peace,
Egghead

EagleMaster
People Need A Life Other Than Internet
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Glen Richey, PA

1 edit

EagleMaster

Premium Member

Have you rebooted the modem with the newer mac connected?

sometime depending on equipment your connected to it may take about an hour or so to clear the arp cache on that router.
cup_prof
Clarion, PA

cup_prof

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did reboot the modem after connecting the OS X Mac. But, no luck.....

EagleMaster
Premium Member
Glen Richey, PA

EagleMaster to cup_prof

Premium Member

to cup_prof
you don't have a router in the setup. If not call them and have them make sure the modem is seeing the new computer. or if you can hookup the modem to the new mac and reboot everything. and then try going to 192.168.100.1 and see if the modem is seeing your new mac.
cup_prof
Clarion, PA

cup_prof

Tried the router too... a wireless Linksys. I can connect any and all machines to the router and using the 192.168.1.1 IP address I can configure the router. But, the router, when using the DCHP configuration, cannot connect through the cable modem. The old system 9 mac, when connected to the cable modem works just fine with DCHP turned on.

I eliminated the router from my setup hoping I could connect one machine, just one machine... a new mac... to the cable modem. I'm still just stuck with an old System 9 mac that is connected, but nothing newer seems to work....

:-(

I really appreciate your replies. Thanks very much EagleMaster.

P.S. Does your screen name have anything to do with a nearby University, the Golden Eagles?

EagleMaster
Premium Member
Glen Richey, PA

EagleMaster to cup_prof

Premium Member

to cup_prof
No it doesn't. Here is what you do then. What router are you using? If it's a linksys there is a mac clone tab change the mac address there to the one on your mac that works.
cup_prof
Clarion, PA

cup_prof

EagleMaster,

Your help is greatly appreciated. Once I got the MAC address cloned, everything worked perfectly. Not real sure why I wasn't thinking about that in the first place.

Thanks very much for your time!

EagleMaster
Premium Member
Glen Richey, PA

EagleMaster to cup_prof

Premium Member

to cup_prof
not a problem. always glad to help.