share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Question on USPS tracking number

I've have two shipped items (email sent to me) with the tracking numbers and they both say "There is no record of this item." But most tracking numbers says something like it lets them know that it's going to be picked up.

and one of my tracking numbers seems to be a bit too long while the other is shorter.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

USPS tracking numbers are generally useless for tracking package status other than after it's already delivered.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
yeah I know that but on some days I don't check my Box or im away from home when the mail is delivered.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to PetePuma
i would go one step further and say they are 100% useless.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
so can someone help me with my question?

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru
I find that when using tracking numbers with USPS it can take a full day for the information to be updated on their web site. Typically, it will only say that the package was dropped off at some post office. I have never seen where it will indicate an actual delivery date.

As for why one is longer than other, maybe the other is sent by another method or it was a typo.

Also, people can have the packing slips ahead of time, from USPS, and can give you the number, but it doesn't mean they've actually taken it to a post office.
--
»www.wwiivehicles.com

World War II Vehicles and Advanced Squad Leader

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to Subaru
Call the post office... Of course - you have not asked a question in your first post which may be part of the problem...

»hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bin/h···opview=1

Chuck22
Premium
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru
I find it usually takes the USPS about 48 hours before they first update the tracking status. (Sometimes even longer than that!) The last shipment I received via USPS was in my hands before they had updated the online tracking! Go figure...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
now I have 2 working numbers just waiting for the last one.

Crabby8

join:2006-01-22
Excelsior, MN

3 recommendations

As a mailman...let me give you the skinny on delivery confirmations:
Almost all eBayers (many other shippers, too) use "click and ship" which allows them to print out the label at home. The confirmation # is then forwarded to the Post Office, hence: "no record" response.
It Just means that the tracking number has been issued. It doesn't mean it's even left the guys kitchen table. If it's Priority Mail, the carrier will pick it up on his route that day.
On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans. From there it goes to Post Office Info Hell, to be uploaded to the website.
Sorry about being so long-winded. I hope this sheds a bit of light for you.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Subaru
I have never once seen USPS tracking numbers mean anything. I have tried to track shipments many times and it either says "no information available" or item already delivered. It never shows you the status of the package... It never gives you an estimated delivery date. It only shows you what you already know... that you have received the package.

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3
said by Sly:

I have never once seen USPS tracking numbers mean anything. I have tried to track shipments many times and it either says "no information available" or item already delivered. It never shows you the status of the package... It never gives you an estimated delivery date. It only shows you what you already know... that you have received the package.
Ditto. As the mailman said, in so many words, USPS tracking numbers are utterly useless.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Crabby8
said by Crabby8:

On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans.
I've always suspected something like that... I thought that the carrier marks it "delivered" when he/she gets it as part of their "load" in the morning. Reason I say this is I've had them marked 'delivered' at 8-9am and my mail NEVER arrives before 11am or so.
--
This is my .sig. I like it bold.

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to Crabby8
said by Crabby8:

As a mailman...let me give you the skinny on delivery confirmations:
Almost all eBayers (many other shippers, too) use "click and ship" which allows them to print out the label at home. The confirmation # is then forwarded to the Post Office, hence: "no record" response.
It Just means that the tracking number has been issued. It doesn't mean it's even left the guys kitchen table. If it's Priority Mail, the carrier will pick it up on his route that day.
On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans. From there it goes to Post Office Info Hell, to be uploaded to the website.
Sorry about being so long-winded. I hope this sheds a bit of light for you.
On the contrary, I also sell on eBay and use USPS Click-and-Ship. EVERY TIME I purchase a label and the website asks me if the label printed correctly, I click YES. This tells them to tap my credit card, and the tracking number will show "The USPS was notified electronically on month date, year to expect your package for mailing...".

Perhaps there are other unscrupulous folks clicking "NO", and cheating USPS out of postage revenue??
--
Life is a journey; death is a given.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
I suspect that the tracking # assigned won't process if it shows up on a package.
--

aguynamedavi

join:2002-05-22
Fremont, CA
reply to Subaru
USPS tracking number will only show its delivered. It does not show any status of where the package is currently located.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Yes, I think that's why so many people in the thread have already stated how USPS' tracking system "sucks".
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to aguynamedavi
said by aguynamedavi:

USPS tracking number will only show its delivered. It does not show any status of where the package is currently located.
yes I already know that, thank you.

iMiKE23

join:2003-01-26
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Crabby8:

On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans.
I've always suspected something like that... I thought that the carrier marks it "delivered" when he/she gets it as part of their "load" in the morning. Reason I say this is I've had them marked 'delivered' at 8-9am and my mail NEVER arrives before 11am or so.
They should not be scanning any packages especially scanning packages that are claiming delivery at that time. I know of a couple of carriers who do that. I just wait until I arrive at the street, scan all the parcels that are destined for that street, put it in my pouch and deliver it.

Also about the antique scanners, sometime the information does not download properly, I know this because every morning we get our scanners it should display the date and time of the download, sometimes it doesn't show. Word has it we will be getting new scanners which is good, the bad thing is it will be bigger.

I hope you do receive your packages.

aguynamedavi

join:2002-05-22
Fremont, CA
reply to Subaru
Also USPS will not deliver it unless someone is there to receive the package or your mailbox is big enough for the packages

damn
Premium
join:2002-10-23
nyc
reply to Subaru
USPS Delivery Confirmation service is not tracking. It's just that, Delivery Confirmation.

djlloyd
Premium
join:2002-12-18
Goose Creek, SC
said by damn:

USPS Delivery Confirmation service is not tracking. It's just that, Delivery Confirmation.
Ditto, I have hundreds of Confirmed Deliveries, the system works!

--
Respectfully, Dennis --- A US NAVY NUCLEAR SUBMARINE VETERAN.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

i would go one step further and say they are 100% useless.
If you're a seller, I 100% disagree with that. that tracking # lets you know it was delivered so your buyer can't say "Wheres my stuff?" when he actually has it in his hands.
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I've have two shipped items (email sent to me) with the tracking numbers and they both say "There is no record of this item." But most tracking numbers says something like it lets them know that it's going to be picked up.

and one of my tracking numbers seems to be a bit too long while the other is shorter.
The printers used by US Post Office are unable to print out O's different from zero's (0). The leading digits you think are zero's are really O's.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by tkdslr:

said by Subaru:

The printers used by US Post Office are unable to print out O's different from zero's (0). The leading digits you think are zero's are really O's.
Email.. Copy & paste.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

Check out my Gallery!
»/pics/dimaging/400265

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online

2 edits
Hi,
I have delievery confirmataion on a package now. It gives me todays date a a location that is specific. I't is about 24hrs(maybe longer old).Its dated the 23rd.
It has tobe mailed.I had mine on my desk for the weekend once.
Lee
here are the basic contents
"

Label/Receipt Number: 9102 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxx

Your item was processed and left our FOREST PARK, IL 60130 facility on January 23, 2007. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to Subaru
OT: Although the OP is asking about USPS, I just want to point out to everyone that UPS is just as useless. The only info the website will give you is ETA. WHile it's on a train going from one side of the country to the other, NOTHING is updated....
I know, I used to work for them, and I couldn't even get more info on MY OWN packages.
--
"The most affectionate creature in the world is a WET dog"---- Ambrose Bierce

whocares0
Premium
join:2003-07-26
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

=========================================
hello "Subaru",
I use that service(s) at USPS all the time also,send $ or important papers using either CONFIRM delivery or Certified Mail, to track when an iterm is delivered.
so lets annswer your 2 different concerns,
--------------------------------------
#1,There is no record of this item
This is usually because from the time you drop the itwm off at your post office, it may take up to 24 hrs for the tracking # to get into the USPS computers, it is not recorded right away where you mailed it,it is recorded when its gets to you city's MAIL postoffice & entered into the computers

#2,one of my tracking numbers seems to be a bit too long while the other is shorter.

The tracking number WILL ALWAYS be 20 numbers and or letters,also it will always be on the LEFT side (pre printed) on your green & white recp't you recieved from the post office.

example,
0306 0320 0004 6282 5311
»trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSIntern···quiry.do

TO CylonRed & others that say is service is useless,

the reason for this service is so a seller of an item or maybe people that don't want to offer someone or a customer a reply once they have their $$$,
but this way by sending with a tracking number,the person recieving the mail can't LIE & SAY,I NEVER GOT THE PAYMENT or mail thats why this service is used...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

OT: Although the OP is asking about USPS, I just want to point out to everyone that UPS is just as useless. The only info the website will give you is ETA. WHile it's on a train going from one side of the country to the other, NOTHING is updated....
I know, I used to work for them, and I couldn't even get more info on MY OWN packages.
yeah they only update it when it gets to one hub to the other.

Fedex is pretty good (its been awhile since I saw this) but sometimes as soon as your package is delivered SOMETIMES within 5 Min it will show as delivered.

UPS is ok.. I have 3 packages coming via USPS and one from UPS.
--

Check out my Gallery!
»/pics/dimaging/400265

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to whocares0
said by whocares0:

said by Subaru:

=========================================
hello "Subaru",

#2,one of my tracking numbers seems to be a bit too long while the other is shorter.

The tracking number WILL ALWAYS be 20 numbers and or letters,also it will always be on the LEFT side (pre printed) on your green & white recp't you recieved from the post office.

It's way longer then 20 numbers...

it's 44 numbers here...
--

Check out my Gallery!
»/pics/dimaging/400265