Crabby8
join:2006-01-22
Excelsior, MN

3 recommendations

Crabby8 to Subaru

to Subaru

Re: Question on USPS tracking number

As a mailman...let me give you the skinny on delivery confirmations:
Almost all eBayers (many other shippers, too) use "click and ship" which allows them to print out the label at home. The confirmation # is then forwarded to the Post Office, hence: "no record" response.
It Just means that the tracking number has been issued. It doesn't mean it's even left the guys kitchen table. If it's Priority Mail, the carrier will pick it up on his route that day.
On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans. From there it goes to Post Office Info Hell, to be uploaded to the website.
Sorry about being so long-winded. I hope this sheds a bit of light for you.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Crabby8:

On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans.
I've always suspected something like that... I thought that the carrier marks it "delivered" when he/she gets it as part of their "load" in the morning. Reason I say this is I've had them marked 'delivered' at 8-9am and my mail NEVER arrives before 11am or so.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

Irun Man to Crabby8

Premium Member

to Crabby8
said by Crabby8:

As a mailman...let me give you the skinny on delivery confirmations:
Almost all eBayers (many other shippers, too) use "click and ship" which allows them to print out the label at home. The confirmation # is then forwarded to the Post Office, hence: "no record" response.
It Just means that the tracking number has been issued. It doesn't mean it's even left the guys kitchen table. If it's Priority Mail, the carrier will pick it up on his route that day.
On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans. From there it goes to Post Office Info Hell, to be uploaded to the website.
Sorry about being so long-winded. I hope this sheds a bit of light for you.
On the contrary, I also sell on eBay and use USPS Click-and-Ship. EVERY TIME I purchase a label and the website asks me if the label printed correctly, I click YES. This tells them to tap my credit card, and the tracking number will show "The USPS was notified electronically on month date, year to expect your package for mailing...".

Perhaps there are other unscrupulous folks clicking "NO", and cheating USPS out of postage revenue??

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I suspect that the tracking # assigned won't process if it shows up on a package.

iMiKE23
join:2003-01-26
Los Angeles, CA

iMiKE23 to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Crabby8:

On the delivery side...Your carrier delivers your package and scans it as "delivered" but the information remains inside our antique scanners until we finish our route, return to the office and download our days scans.
I've always suspected something like that... I thought that the carrier marks it "delivered" when he/she gets it as part of their "load" in the morning. Reason I say this is I've had them marked 'delivered' at 8-9am and my mail NEVER arrives before 11am or so.
They should not be scanning any packages especially scanning packages that are claiming delivery at that time. I know of a couple of carriers who do that. I just wait until I arrive at the street, scan all the parcels that are destined for that street, put it in my pouch and deliver it.

Also about the antique scanners, sometime the information does not download properly, I know this because every morning we get our scanners it should display the date and time of the download, sometimes it doesn't show. Word has it we will be getting new scanners which is good, the bad thing is it will be bigger.

I hope you do receive your packages.