how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Enlightener

join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

VDSL broadband will be slower then ADSL broadband

AT&T isn't really offering faster internet with VDSL, they are offering the same or slower speeds.

Take the Elite, sure 6/1 sounds great until you read:

"High Speed Internet maximum speed achieved depends on customer location, line condition, and concurrent use of other AT&T U-verse services."

That's right... we all know there is a bandwidth crunch in that 25mbps and when they start trying to jam that second HD stream in there your internet allocation is going to suffer. Of course the reverse isn't true.... they aren't bothering to let you have MORE then 6MB when you aren't using the full 25MB.

cwh

join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX
said by Enlightener:

AT&T isn't really offering faster internet with VDSL, they are offering the same or slower speeds.

"High Speed Internet maximum speed achieved depends on customer location, line condition, and concurrent use of other AT&T U-verse services."

That's right... we all know there is a bandwidth crunch in that 25mbps and when they start trying to jam that second HD stream in there your internet allocation is going to suffer. Of course the reverse isn't true.... they aren't bothering to let you have MORE then 6MB when you aren't using the full 25MB.
I think it is a bit early to assume that u-verse is stuck at 25meg. Just recently the CFO stated that uverse would be getting 60-70% speed increase in 2007, which would move 25 to 40. I would also think it is too early to say ATT is not going to implement a powerboost/faster speeds in feature in the future.

And I dont think I have every had my TV requirements affect my download speed.

Enlightener

Cedar Park, TX
Do you have any idea how many years I had to wait to get 6MB DSL when there was no technical reason that they couldn't sell it to me?

cwh

San Antonio, TX
said by Enlightener:

Do you have any idea how many years I had to wait to get 6MB DSL when there was no technical reason that they couldn't sell it to me?
I have lived in broadband blackholes before and it sucks, but I dont see how it is relevant to the current topic. IF ATT is going to keep u-verse competitive they are going to have increase speeds and my guess it wil be sooner rather than later as the competition is fairly stiff with cable.

dentman42
Premium
join:2001-10-02
Columbus, OH
reply to Enlightener
said by Enlightener:

Oh, they're offering faster upstream with VDSL? I thought the up was capped at 768. Maybe there would be a slight advantage. After all, it's the upstream we all need increased.

Enlightener

Cedar Park, TX
reply to cwh
It's completly relevant. I wasn't in a real black hole, I was in an AT&T black hole. I was sitting just a few thousand feet and I couldn't get 6MB because they wouldn't sell it. This was despite the fact that others were grandfathered on 6MB for years.

It goes to show that AT&T takes its sweet time offering upgrades to a product even when it's perfectly capable of delivering at this very minute.

cwh

San Antonio, TX
said by Enlightener:

It's completly relevant. I wasn't in a real black hole, I was in an AT&T black hole. I was sitting just a few thousand feet and I couldn't get 6MB because they wouldn't sell it. This was despite the fact that others were grandfathered on 6MB for years.

It goes to show that AT&T takes its sweet time offering upgrades to a product even when it's perfectly capable of delivering at this very minute.
Well maybe you could do better job managing the dsl network that connects all those millions of people. It sucks that you could not get better service, but it does take time to service to everyone.

My guess is that at some point they decided 6meg service was not reliable enough to warrant new installs till other upgrades were done.

VDSL is going to be a huge upgrade to their network and is going take time to get it widely available, but it is happening.

cwh

San Antonio, TX
reply to dentman42
said by dentman42:

said by Enlightener:

Oh, they're offering faster upstream with VDSL? I thought the up was capped at 768. Maybe there would be a slight advantage. After all, it's the upstream we all need increased.
All the broadband packages on u-verse get 1 meg up.

Enlightener

Cedar Park, TX
reply to cwh
VDSL is an incremental upgrade. Fiber would be huge.

Also don't presume that I couldn't do a better job. There are alot of people in these forums that don't work for AT&T that know a hell of a lot more about information technology then most AT&T employees.

cwh

San Antonio, TX
said by Enlightener:

VDSL is an incremental upgrade. Fiber would be huge.
When you consider the loop shortening that is required, is far more than an incremental upgrade.

Also don't presume that I couldn't do a better job. There are alot of people in these forums that don't work for AT&T that know a hell of a lot more about information technology then most AT&T employees.
Maybe you could, but you still have to balance more user demands than yourself as well address as limited resourced on manpower and capital to get the job done. It is not a trivial task.

Enlightener

Cedar Park, TX
It's incremental to go from CO to RT to VRAD. Huge would be dumping the loop completly and going to fiber. Verizon doesn't seem to be having a problem getting the job done.

cwh

San Antonio, TX
said by Enlightener:

It's incremental to go from CO to RT to VRAD. Huge would be dumping the loop completly and going to fiber. Verizon doesn't seem to be having a problem getting the job done.
still about 45,000 miles of new fiber...more than a trivial or incremental amount of fiber if you ask me.