uniqs
cwh
join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX

cwh to Enlightener

to Enlightener

Re: VDSL broadband will be slower then ADSL broadband

said by Enlightener:

It's completly relevant. I wasn't in a real black hole, I was in an AT&T black hole. I was sitting just a few thousand feet and I couldn't get 6MB because they wouldn't sell it. This was despite the fact that others were grandfathered on 6MB for years.

It goes to show that AT&T takes its sweet time offering upgrades to a product even when it's perfectly capable of delivering at this very minute.
Well maybe you could do better job managing the dsl network that connects all those millions of people. It sucks that you could not get better service, but it does take time to service to everyone.

My guess is that at some point they decided 6meg service was not reliable enough to warrant new installs till other upgrades were done.

VDSL is going to be a huge upgrade to their network and is going take time to get it widely available, but it is happening.
Enlightener
join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

Enlightener

VDSL is an incremental upgrade. Fiber would be huge.

Also don't presume that I couldn't do a better job. There are alot of people in these forums that don't work for AT&T that know a hell of a lot more about information technology then most AT&T employees.
cwh
San Antonio, TX

cwh

said by Enlightener:

VDSL is an incremental upgrade. Fiber would be huge.
When you consider the loop shortening that is required, is far more than an incremental upgrade.
Also don't presume that I couldn't do a better job. There are alot of people in these forums that don't work for AT&T that know a hell of a lot more about information technology then most AT&T employees.
Maybe you could, but you still have to balance more user demands than yourself as well address as limited resourced on manpower and capital to get the job done. It is not a trivial task.
Enlightener
join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

Enlightener

It's incremental to go from CO to RT to VRAD. Huge would be dumping the loop completly and going to fiber. Verizon doesn't seem to be having a problem getting the job done.
cwh
San Antonio, TX

cwh

said by Enlightener:

It's incremental to go from CO to RT to VRAD. Huge would be dumping the loop completly and going to fiber. Verizon doesn't seem to be having a problem getting the job done.
still about 45,000 miles of new fiber...more than a trivial or incremental amount of fiber if you ask me.