ISP in Edmonton
Looking for suggestions for a DSL service (pref dry loop, >30Gb cap) in Edmonton. Anyone ever used Nucleus or Uniserve/Interbaun?
6 megs with telus 60 gigabyte cap per month. I still say the cost of living out there is everything is free. Except internet service in canada. Toronto hydro has cheated toronto setting the price at $29.95 per month. I figured on the range $9.95 to $14.95. You see the markup on internet service in canada?
|reply to metavore |
I only know of a few isps which offer dry loop;
1) lightspeed »www.lightspeed.ca/resadsl.html $34.95/mo for 1500/512, 30 Gb limit + $10-$15/mo dry loop fee + $4.95/mo access fee
2) netidea »www.netidea.com/internet/high-speed/plans $38/mo for 1500/512, 10 Gb limit + $10-$15/mo dry loop fee
3) telus - $40.95/mo for 1500/512 + 30 Gb limit or $50.95/mo for 3000/640 + 60 Gb limit, no dry loop fee and they dont enforce the bw limits - $5/mo off if you have telus mobility or long distance and another $5/mo off if you contract 1/2/3 years with them. Best choice if you want dry dsl. Their 6 Mbps plan is available to the very very few people.
The ones that don't offer dry loop;
1) netscape »join.netscape.ca/products/products_hs.php $39.95/mo for 1500/512, unlimited bandwidth
2) uniserve »www.uniserve.com/?page=products/···eed/west $34.95/mo for 1500/512, 30 Gb limit
3) nucleus »www.nucleus.com/highspeed/rates-···res.html $34.95/mo for 1500/512, 30 Gb limit
4) primus (resellers of uniserve) »primus.ca/en/residential/interne···erta.htm $24.95/mo for 1500/512, 50 Gb limit
All dsl connections are non-pppoe, and the upstream you'll get on 1.5 is 512, not 640 like they tend to advertise. I've also heard teksavvy offers dsl out west but at $125 setup fee and $49.95/mo without the dry dsl, no unlimited bw option and routing thru ontario (+60ms lag) it's not to be considered.
Nucleus dry loop is add'l $9/mo (if anyone else was interested).
Thanks for the many details. Some I hadn't heard of, there.
So, Telus or maybe Nucleus for dry loop.
What a difference in speed and limits; e.g. 3000/640 unlimited can be had for ~$35 in ON.
One could really only afford either the phone line or the DSL service in edm.