Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

2 edits

geek

Premium Member

Finger Pointing

AT&T picked Microsoft to be their provider for an IPTV solution. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with AT&T not Microsoft to ensure that the solution fits their (AT&T's) IPTV needs.

Sounds like some poor analysis was done at AT&T and they are pointing their fingers at Mr. Softee.

Analogy:
I've got a fire I need to put out. I need a hose to move the water. I pick a 1/2 inch hose. The fire rages out of control. Who is responsible?
1. Me (AT&T) for picking too small of a hose?
2. The maker of the hose (Microsoft) because it doesn't supply enough water?

I think you'll put the blame with #1 because I picked a bad solution to the problem.

anonone
@randolph.af.mil

anonone

Anon

The size of the hose does not matter if the pump does not work.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

said by anonone :

The size of the hose does not matter if the pump does not work.
Classic!
MASantangelo
Premium Member
join:2004-07-19
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo to anonone

Premium Member

to anonone
But Microsoft wasn't the maker of the pump...

RayW
Premium Member
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

RayW to geek

Premium Member

to geek
said by geek:

AT&T picked Microsoft to be their provider for an IPTV solution. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with AT&T not Microsoft to ensure that the solution fits their (AT&T's) IPTV needs.

Sounds like some poor analysis was done at AT&T and they are pointing their fingers at Mr. Softee.
Mind posting links to the specs from AT&T that lead you to make that statement? Most of the articles that point fingers seem to point toward microsoft not being able to provide, which makes sense since historically microsoft requires many iterations (prime example, the antitrust case where m had to go through many iterations to to get IE an integral and non-removable part of windows) to get working code out.

anonone
@randolph.af.mil

anonone to MASantangelo

Anon

to MASantangelo
said by MASantangelo:

For his analogy to work, ATT picked the size of the pipe and chose MS to build the pump. The pipe is in place, however the pump has problems functioning at times. MS is responsible for the STB code and a large portion of backend IPTV code as well.

Even verizon had problems with the MS pump and they were using a very large pipe.

phattieg
join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL

phattieg to anonone

to anonone
I would have a classical reply to that one simply because you set yourself up for it, but I won't say it here. :-D

Thats what she said.--
SIPPhone/Gizmo # 17476200648 / PIMPNET Chatline / Ran by Asterisk & Slackware 10.1.

TechieZero
Tools Are Using Me
Premium Member
join:2002-01-25
Lithia, FL

TechieZero to geek

Premium Member

to geek
It's not the size of the hose but how you use it.

FLea973
Premium Member
join:2001-02-27
Morristown, NJ

FLea973 to anonone

Premium Member

to anonone
said by anonone :
said by MASantangelo:

For his analogy to work, ATT picked the size of the pipe and chose MS to build the pump. The pipe is in place, however the pump has problems functioning at times. MS is responsible for the STB code and a large portion of backend IPTV code as well.

Even verizon had problems with the MS pump and they were using a very large pipe.
I am no AT&T or Microsoft booster.. but even THIS needs to be deflated... Yes AT&T chose the pipe... but they ALSO chose the pump... is it MicroSoft's problem that the pump is inadequate? No - AT&T chose the wrong one. If Microsoft was the only choice there might be an issue.. but as they aren't.....

Evergreener
Sent By Grocery Clerks
join:2001-02-20
Evergreen, CO

1 edit

Evergreener to RayW

to RayW
Microsoft sold ATT something that they haven't been able to deliver (and not just to ATT either).

Obviously ATT didn't do their due diligence, since there are viable IPTV solutions deployed around the world. However that doesn't mean Microsoft didn't screw the pooch on this one. Microsoft has tried to build everything on their own instead of integrating with existing 'best of breed' components and deliver something on schedule that actually works.

After getting burned by SA (now owned by Cisco) and GI (now owned by Moto) with their closed and vertically integrated systems, at least most of the cablecos learned to not only bring in two vendors and have them compete for a larger share of the business, but also to require a certain level of interoperability between key components.

RayW
Premium Member
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

RayW

Premium Member

Especially if one is Microsoft.
ashworth7
join:2001-10-06
Pittsburgh, PA

ashworth7 to anonone

to anonone
Yes VZ realized probs with the code and were smart enough to take care of it themselves..... At least VZ is doing the IPTV right (FTTH,writing code etc). ATT will continue to struggle to bring TV to the masses with bandwidth limitations and software issues related to the limited bandwidth.
GhostDoggy
join:2005-05-11
Duluth, GA

GhostDoggy to geek

to geek
Yes, this is finger pointing. Microsoft is not the only provider in IPTV platform solutions, but AT&T put all their rotten eggs in the one basket. You would think that they would have conducted redundant implementations with the same market and utilized at least one city as a test bed to see which solution provider delivered better.