Re: Spotlight On! [Tag your it]

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

2 recommendations

reply to waynegilbert
OK The photography bug has hit me BIG TIME! One of the many reasons I am not active on BBR anymore. I take all our family pics now. If you want to see some of my pics, you can visit my gallery at »simplykristi.smugmug.com/ Sorry, the family pics are private! But you can see some of my other photos.
Expand your moderator at work

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

12 recommendations

reply to Maccawolf

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C740UZ
6.3mm 1/160th F2.8 ISO200

Gee...thanks Wendi!

Ok, my name is Michael. I am 48 years old, born in Brooklyn, raised in Westport, Connecticut, and finished high school in Mt. Prospect, IL. I entered the Navy two weeks after high school graduation in 1977 and stayed in until 1983. I became a printing press operator shortly after my separation from the service. After a few years of printing, it became obvious that I had a way with the machines, so I became an installer. By 1987, I was assembling printing presses throughout the country.

I enjoyed the single life until October 2000 when I was married in my wife's hometown of JiangJin, China. We met in San Francisco at the St. Francis Yacht Club, where my father had a lunch gig for many years. He was a jazz piano player, and the one day he allowed me (or any of his kids) to watch him play ("I'm working goddamit") happened to be the same day my wife's company in town from Beijing came for a luncheon. She and a couple of co-workers requested a song (The theme from The Love Story) and after the song, I noticed my father giving me a look. I walked over and said "what"?
He asked me "what the hell is wrong with you? You are 40 years old, never married, no kids, there are 4 beautiful Chinese women over there at that table giving you the eye, and they dig the old man. Get your ass over there and talk to them!" So, I did, and ended up married to one of them.
One year later we had a baby girl which many of you have seen. Her name is Lia Pearl, and she is now 5½ years old. And believe me, she lets me know it when I forget to mention that "½". This little precious child of mine is my world. I never thought I would need a child to feel complete with my life. Now I can't imagine my life without her.

We started a business just after my baby was born. We import mostly hand-made goods from China, however in the last couple of years it has been my desire to seek out the quality items made in China. Believe it or not, they make some of the finest quality goods that you can find on the planet. The only way to see this for yourself, is to make a trip to China, and remain clear of the touristy parts.
We have a small store near our home, and I also drive to many craft shows and flea markets throughout the midwest to display and sell these items. You name it, I can get it.
I am away from home from Sundays through Thursdays during the summer months, with an occasional two week trip. It's tough being away from my child, but we talk each day and she knows why daddy has to take off each week. Every few weeks they will join me, which makes it nicer for me, but every week would be too tough on them. Arnie too - four days on a leash is very difficult for a Border Collie used to having all the land he would want to chase animals and stretch his legs. His real job, is taking care of my daughter. He will not allow her beyond our driveway gate, just like our last Border Collie, Barney. I never taught either one to do this - it was instinctive to them. Arnie is a happy dog, but very serious when it comes to Lia Pearl. He will stand next to her whenever a stranger approaches and stare at that person. I'll have to get a picture of that someday.

Well, I guess that's about it. I really lack the time to search for the next person to tag, so I will leave that up to the OP. It's his thread, so he can do it.

Here's my picture, taken a few minutes ago with the timer. It clicked before I smiled....sorry.
Yes, I still wear bell-bottoms. I'm an aging hippie.
Thanks for reading.

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

3 recommendations

THanks Michael.

Hey, give them jeans back to your wife and STOP WEARING HER CLOTHES.
--
"The most affectionate creature in the world is a WET dog"---- Ambrose Bierce

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

2 recommendations

Actually, it's her goal to eventually fit into my pants.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to simplykristi
Wow! You sure have been busy and with some really fun images too. Love the animals as well as many more.

Quiglag
God is Love
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Ontario, CA

11 recommendations

reply to waynegilbert
Click for full size
OLYMPUS u10D,S300D,u300D
5.8mm 1/80th F3.1 ISO80

I tag myself.

My name is Chris. I am 24, born in northern California, but we moved to SoCal a year later, where I still live today. I have had an interest in music my whole life, and in elementary school started playing the song flute; it was something the whole school did to introduce music to us. After that I was hooked. I started to play the trumpet in the elementary school band, and continued up through high school. I was in the marching band, concert band, Jazz band.

When I was young I got a little keyboard from selling tickets in cub scouts. Slowly throw the years moved up to bigger and bigger versions, but never took a lesson. The last 5 years I really started to play keyboard more and more, making up my own songs, and playing stuff I heard on the radio. I tried to record some of my stuff, but I couldn't get the midi to work right. I will have to try again and get it working. Last month I finally started to take piano lessons.

I didn't know what I wanted to do out of high school, so I ended up working with my dad doing finish carpentry. The company installs high end commercial woodwork(cabinets, doors, millwork). You might have seen some of our work if you have been to the new Claim Jumper Restaurants in Illinois, Oregon, or Arizona. Most of the work we do is in resorts, and hotels. I like the work that I do, and am proud of it, but I cant stand waking up so early in the morning. Don't hold me to it, but I am looking into the possibility of starting a Pentax lens rental company. I know a lot of Pentax users would like a place to be able to rent from.

Probably like most of you, I came to BBR because of the Internet stuff they offer, and spotted the photos on the front page. I have always been interested in cameras, and photography, but didn't really get started until I got my first digital camera a few years ago. It was a P&S, but all of your work inspired my to get better at photography, and this year I bought a DSLR.
--
\o/ My Website | Check Out My Gallery

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to waynegilbert
Great going Chris. Nice interests you have and thanks for letting us get to know you.

We all here try to improve our skills and share our work with others so just join in and have fun.
--
****aka The WIZARD **** A Founding member Seti BBR Team Starfire****

Where is Rob A?
Premium
join:2006-03-23
Eagle River, AK
reply to Quiglag
said by Quiglag:

I tag myself.

Don't hold me to it, but I am looking into the possibility of starting a Pentax lens rental company. I know a lot of Pentax users would like a place to be able to rent from.
You are going to want a college business degree with a possible photography minor to do something like that and be profitable.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Or a lot of drive, determination, and the ability to research what business models have worked for others.

Quiglag See Profile good luck with the endeavor!
--
Any Soldier
Don't judge a picture by its camera. My Gallery

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to waynegilbert
Snuck out or so they thought.

FirDarrig

I do not know how you got away with it but you were never tagged for the tag your it thread. But you are now so there!
--
****aka The WIZARD **** A Founding member Seti BBR Team Starfire****

brak22
Premium
join:2006-04-13

2 recommendations

Hey all, I noticed that SueS hasn't been tagged yet... I just pm'd her so hopefully she'll join the fun

Wyattx17
Wyatt
Premium
join:2004-04-21
Stockton, CA
reply to Quiglag
said by Quiglag:

You might have seen some of our work if you have been to the new Claim Jumper Restaurants in Illinois, Oregon, or Arizona.
I love Claim Jumpers!

bmfan
Premium
join:2005-03-15
Saint Helen, MI

1 recommendation

reply to waynegilbert
this is the coolest thread ive ever seen at BBR
--
Trust is the condition necessary for betrayal

TigerNutz
Laissez les bons temps rouler
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Little Rock, AR

1 recommendation

said by bmfan:

this is the coolest thread ive ever seen at BBR
have you posted your contribution?

if not, please do!

bmfan
Premium
Saint Helen, MI

5 recommendations

Ooo does that mean i'm tagged ! hehe

Ok, Im boring but here goes....

My name is Ron, Im 32 years old. Born in Wisconsin raised in Michigan. After a brief stay at MSU, I got a job working for a Outdoor recreation equipment manufacture. we made canoe & kayak paddles, but were the main distributors for the kayaks, boats, boat motors.. etc.... i eventually worked My way up and started designing the paddles, going on the trade shows etc.... I was engaged to be married. everything was great ! Then I was diagnosed with cancer, and there went the job and the woman. After battling that and the depression that followed, after some years I am finally getting back out into the world, Have met a wonderful woman. who is also a cancer survivor, meet her by chance. and after one night of talking that was that.. however her cancer has returned, and we are dealing with that the best we can. the cost of it is the hardest part right now. having been through it myself I thought I knew what to expect, but going through it yourself and watching someone you care about go through it are two entirely different things ! but even with all that going on it's still the happiest time in my life

ohh I have to add a pic hmm... Ok this is a few years old, and technically its not even a pic, i stuck my head in the scanner
--
You make a living by what you get, But you make a life by what you give.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
said by bmfan:

ohh I have to add a pic hmm... Ok this is a few years old, and technically its not even a pic, i stuck my head in the scanner
Good enough, and a good idea, lol. And for any newcomers that happen upon this, it's pretty much an open thread now, so feel free to add your own.

bmfan
Premium
Saint Helen, MI
it seems like a good idea till your blinded by the scanner light

pkalona
Wannabe GWC
Premium
join:2002-06-29
San Carlos, CA
said by bmfan:

it seems like a good idea till your blinded by the scanner light
My avatar is a scan of my face I did around 13 years ago. I only had a black and white scanner. Of course my eyes are shut so as not to be blinded.
Expand your moderator at work

OldEODDude
Premium
join:2007-02-13
Northern PA

1 edit
reply to waynegilbert

Re: Spotlight On! [Tag your it] TEST

Nevermind. This post worked.

Wyattx17
Wyatt
Premium
join:2004-04-21
Stockton, CA
reply to waynegilbert

Bump

waynegilbert
Blessed
Premium
join:2004-09-26
Brooklyn, NY
reply to waynegilbert
Yeah it would nice be to see out newer folks post her
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/waynegphfx/

OldEODDude
Premium
join:2007-02-13
Northern PA

2 edits

4 recommendations

reply to waynegilbert
Okay, I'll bite.

I'm Dave, I've been married 22 years and have two young girls.

I'm a retired Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal (E O D) --military bomb squad--technician. I retired from the military, not the work force.

I am the extended family's computer geek... And did that even when I was stationed 3000 miles away. Thanks to Bill Gates for 'Remote Assistance'--really!

After the Air Force I went to work for Adelphia doing internet tech support and was there for the transition to Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner). Was laid off when TWC closed Coudersport PA operations. I worked in a factory until very recently.

I play the guitar and struggle with the mandolin. I enjoy hiking, hunting and fishing.

I must admit that I do use bait on my hook. I suppose if I were a professional fisherman I would stand knee deep in icy water for weeks on end trying to grab a fish with my bare hands--that way we would all know that I earned my meal the natural way.

But I digress.

Who's next?

Dave
--
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."