spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haertig

join:2000-12-31
Broomfield, CO

Using WPA, sometimes says connected "unsecured"?

I'm new to wireless. Occasionally I see a taskbar bubble popup that says I'm connected, but "unsecured". This should not be the case.

I'm using a Buffalo WHR-G54S router (Buffalo firmware 1.40) and a Toshiba A105-S4384 laptop with integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. I may eventually flash dd-wrt onto the router, but for now it's running out-of-the-box Buffalo firmware.

The router is setup for WPA-PSK(AES) encryption. I used a 63 character shared key to setup the router and laptop. The laptop (WinXP MCE) is setup for one preferred network (mine) and also set NOT to "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks".

The taskbar bubble sometimes appears and says:

quote:
Wireless Network Connection is now connected.

Connected to: my-very-unique-ssid (unsecured)

Signal Strength: Excellent

Immediately I go and "View Available Wireless Networks" and it shows me connected to my preferred network, and lists this network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)"

My SSID is very unique and shouldn't be getting confused by anything else in the neighborhood. I occassionally see two other networks in range - both secured - and both with pretty generically named SSID's.

So what's with that "unsecured" text that sometimes appears in the bubble popup? I'm new to wireless, but I think I have this all setup correctly and securely. But when something pops up and says "unsecured", I worry.

Thanks in advance for any help or explanations.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

Here are old threads about the same issue...

»Connecting unsecured?

»secured but unsecured??? Help

...unfortunetly without a solution AFAIK...
--
"When all else fails, read the instructions..."

haertig

join:2000-12-31
Broomfield, CO

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like this is just a Windows-being-Windows thing. Not a real problem. I was more worried about it possibly being a router (firmware) problem. If the router is indeed allowing unauthenticated connections, then that is very very bad. I'll try to keep digging into this some more (although these forums are about the best source of information, so I don't immediately know where else to investigate!) If I'm still uneasy after whatever more research I can do, I'll flash the router to dd-wrt and hopefully be done with the "problem".

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to haertig

Yeah, it has to do likely with bad/poor/old drivers (or driver support), that was likely rolled out pre-SP2.

Drivers that have been around since after SP2 integrate with window's WZC client much better in reporting the security, signal, and current connection speed information.

The bottom line here is that:
•Your wireless network requires WPA-PSK AES to connect.
-therefore-
•If you are connected, regardless of what windows says, you're using WPA-PSK, and are thus secure.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.