Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mobbo

join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX
reply to Aleck79

Re: The Speed of Light is Still the Major Bottleneck

LOL I totally feel ya. I used to work at a datacenter here in Dallas and we received a complaint from a guy in the UK that his ping was in the 100's... which, after doing calculations, turned out the be the best possible ping limited only by the speed of light.

As usual with about 99.9% of customers, he didn't grasp the concept even after we did the math.

So naturally I told him to put in a support ticket with God asking to speed up the speed of light. That should fix the problem.

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD
Stupid Speed of Light...

Cant you go any friggin' faster? I mean Im PAYING for this!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
said by FiL:

Stupid Speed of Light...

Cant you go any friggin' faster? I mean Im PAYING for this!
Actually yes you can by warping the space time continuum. What better reason to warp space then to be able to play a game.

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD
Cold Case solved...

How much a month does time-folding cost?

It ain't no floozy ISDN-from-Nigeria scam, is it?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
reply to mobbo
said by mobbo:

LOL I totally feel ya. I used to work at a datacenter here in Dallas and we received a complaint from a guy in the UK that his ping was in the 100's... which, after doing calculations, turned out the be the best possible ping limited only by the speed of light.

Dallas to London is 4753 miles; light takes 8ms to travel 1000 miles so a round trip for light is 76ms.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
reply to FiL
said by FiL:

Cold Case solved...

How much a month does time-folding cost?

It ain't no floozy ISDN-from-Nigeria scam, is it?
I trust you so I will fold time for you. Please wire 10,000 US dollars to my private Swiss bank account to cover the paper work.

LilYoda
Feline with squirel personality disorder
Premium
join:2004-09-02
Mountains
reply to batterup
Add serialization delays for at least 4 devices on the way, and you're getting in the hundreds...

100ms transatlantic sounds real good to me... I regularly see them around 150 to 200ms with all the hops in the way...
--
"the two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity." (Harlan Ellison)