uniqs
share rss forum feed

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1

people thew away freedom for a quick fix

Anyone who was against franchising is going to crying one day, when service levels aren't up to par. People said "oh. 10m, i don't care about my consumer safety laws, just give the bandwidth.!" Wait until they cant get on service when they need it.

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ

Just the telco and cableco shills. By that time, however, they will have slunk away, back into the mists and vapors from which they came.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to DaveDude

said by DaveDude:

Anyone who was against franchising is going to crying one day, when service levels aren't up to par. People said "oh. 10m, i don't care about my consumer safety laws, just give the bandwidth.!" Wait until they cant get on service when they need it.
The town can't do anything about service. The town can only wait until franchise agreement expires then get concessions. The could be 10 years down the road.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·ViaTalk

said by batterup:

said by DaveDude:

The town can't do anything about service. The town can only wait until franchise agreement expires then get concessions. The could be 10 years down the road.
Not true, in the franchise agreement there are usually terms of service agreements, which means service cant be down for more then 2 days, otherwise a credit must be issued. This is what my previous town had in there agreement.
--
Go courageously to do whatever you are called to do. fear nothing. - St. Francis de Sales

package

@lsllp.com

said by DaveDude:

said by batterup:

said by DaveDude:

Not true, in the franchise agreement there are usually terms of service agreements, which means service cant be down for more then 2 days, otherwise a credit must be issued. This is what my previous town had in there agreement.
Throwing freedom away is a bit of hyperbole to say the least. There has been no indication that the FCC rules will take away the ability of local jurisdictions to require minimum levels of service, or to require credits for extended outages. Also, these franchises are for CATV only, and not Internet service, which is unregulated.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

quote:
There has been no indication that the FCC rules will take away the ability of local jurisdictions to require minimum levels of service, or to require credits for extended outages.
No that comes later, after one-stop lobbying allows telcos to make the state-level guidelines utterly toothless...

Then in ten years, your marketing department (after blaming a lack of competition on Aardvarks or whatever else) can again tell the people that true competition will come if we do X.

(X=another rule change aimed solely at maximizing revenue at the cost of the consumer)