Bahamut X
Premium Member
join:2000-12-09
Fort Worth, TX

Bahamut X to crane

Premium Member

to crane

Re: CpuFsb software -- your opinions please

I'll give it a try later... I am going to focus on my next project... The AMD Duron I just got my grubby little hands on!!!

xxxSPACExxx
In Deep
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29
3rd Planet

xxxSPACExxx to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
*****BOOM*****

Deus
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Brooklyn, NY

Deus to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
Coriolis I assume by your chart that you were successful in overclocking your Dell Dimension XPST400. I assume that my T600 uses the same bios chip. I know the chipset we have is the same so I'm going to ask what settings did you use to overclock? I haven't gotten the cpucool program yet so I don't know what specifically to ask you. Whatever you give me will be helpful though. I'm going to check the Dell forums to look at the T series which used the i820 chipset. They used the 133mhz bus and had slots cpus hopefully which will be very similar to ours. I will also post on the Dell forums to see if the cpu fan we have run at the same rpm as the 133mhz systems. If they do there's hope that the stock heatsink and fan will suffice.

Humm 124mhz fsb will make my system almost a 750mhz chip... Woohoo. Well I'll be back with a follow up post.

xxxSPACExxx
In Deep
Premium Member
3rd Planet

xxxSPACExxx to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
SoftFsB doesn't work for me. I'll try this one.

Coriolis3
Premium Member
join:2001-03-09
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3 to Deus

Premium Member

to Deus
Not sure what your question means: "so I'm going to ask what settings did you use to overclock?" Do you mean BIOS settings? I couldn't OC through the BIOS thanks to Intel's locked multiplier.

This is why I had to use CPUFSB -- all it does is flash a new PLL (Phase Lock Loop) to the clock generator -- this is what specifies your FSB and PCI speed.

For any particular PLL, there is a range of possible FSB/PCI combinations. So I first had to find out what PLL my clock generator uses, I fed that info to CPUFSB, then I ramped my FSB/PCI starting at 100/33.3 MHz up to 133/44.4 MHz.

Worked great, except for the instability at 133.3 MHz. I'm hoping some additional cooling will help, but I won't get my Alpha 3125 HSF until next week.

Iron Chef
Premium Member
join:2001-05-28
Alpharetta, GA

Iron Chef to Bahamut X

Premium Member

to Bahamut X
said by Bahamut X:
Well I believe then that it is ICS, but with a bit more updated logo...

I see ICS in a box and the following out to the side of it:

9250BF-16
CA020032

could this be it?

I have this same one, is it available in cpufsb?

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

I couldn't find it in the version I have. The closest I could get to it was ICS 9250-16A through D.

But when Bahamut X tried it he just crashed. Not sure which one he used, I'm guessing the 9250-16B.

Bahamut X
Premium Member
join:2000-12-09
Fort Worth, TX

Bahamut X to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
I used the one that showed a 133 min. FSB, as my PIII 600 EB starts at 133..... Never could jack that damn thing up....

Deus
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Deus to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
Fsb copy.zip
7,233 bytes
(Fsb copy.bmp)
*Edit*The picture shows what I need help with.

I meant what did you put in for the choice of mainboard type, bus speed, pci speed,etc.? I know the Dell systems use oem intel motherboards and I'm not sure what is my mainboard type. Is it the Seatle BX-2?

My pll is as follows, as shown on the chip:
W149H
8718 1943KA

Also how and where do you go in the CPUCool to overclock? I don't know how to use the program properly as you can tell. One more thing do I have to have CPUCool loading with windows for the overclock to work? If anything happens, is there a way for me to return back to my original settings I have now?

Thanks. If I'm not clear I'll be glad to clear things up again.

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

You have the same PLL as me. It's actually an IC Works, but they were bought out by Cypress, so it's probably listed as the Cypress W149 (usually the H is dropped).

My mobo is the Intel SE440BX-3 (Seattle), but it's not listed in CPUFSB. Also I'd recommend against using the "mainboard and type" option -- mobo manufacturers tend to change thier PLLs without notice. It's best to get the info, as you've done, and specify it.

Unfortunately I can't help you with CPUCool -- haven't tried it yet. I've only used CPUFSB. Here's the link to get CPUFSB:
ftp://ftp.setcom.bg/02/cpufsb2110.zip

If you want to give it a try, I'll post a screen shot of my setup -- since we have the same PLL it should be a peice of cake.

Also, can you provide a link to CPUCool. I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Thanks!

Deus
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Deus to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
Here you go: »www.podien.onlinehome.de ··· COOL.HTM

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I can start studying for my mid-terms. Also post the screenie of you setup. I'm going to follow it exactly as I see it.
[text was edited by author 2001-11-18 19:04:22]

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3 to Deus

Premium Member

to Deus
Having just looked at your picture (took a while since it was zipped) -- it looks almost identical to CPUFSB. All you need to do is click the arrow button in the "Frequency to set" window, find the FSB/PCI combo you want, and click the "Set Frequency" button. Your speed will change immediatly. If you have SiSoft Sandra or something, you can test to see if it set correctly.

You probably want to first set the FSB/PCI tou your current setting (eg. 100/33.3). Click the "Set Frequency" button. If your PC doesn;t crash, you got the PLL right. Then just ramp it up slowly, allowing 10-15 minutes between settings. Use something CPU intensive to test each setting.

rbnice1 posted a link in this forum yesterday t a site with a program called "Toast". Supposed to be a good torture test.

Good luck studying!

Deus
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Deus to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
I assume you need to have CPUFSB startup with windows for it to stay overclocked right? Each time I load windows the original settings are returned.

I had a successful overclock of 751mhz with my 600 coppermine chip. The exhaust air got really warm to touch. It really concerned me and I'm probably going to do a modest overclock of 15mhz. Unless I get a case fan with venting I don't think I'd be running on the 124mhz fsb very long.

Coriolis I was wondering what FSB speed are you running at? Seeing that you started to overclock sooner than I did you have a better picture of how well the overclock works. Anyways this is just temporary. I might just plan to get the 1.2ghz celeron chip and use powerleaps' cool little gadget. Check it out at www.powerleap.com if you're interested. Also check out robhancock's review of it. I think it beats the 1ghz pIII. I'll have to recheck and it's modestly priced at 170. Cheaper than the slot 1 1ghz chip. Well thanks for all your help.

*BTW I believe I aced my mid-terms today but I got 2 more to worry about tomorrow.

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

No, I'm in the same boat as you -- I tested, verified that I could run at the higher speed, and then backed it down because of the heat. I ordered a new HSF (Alpha 3125) -- but I'll be out of town until next week, so I won't get an opportunity to install it until next week .

So I won't have any real test results until at least a week or more... by then we can compare notes.

Deus
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Deus

Premium Member

Are you going to use that new HSF for the oem Intel cpu or what? If so how are you going remove the old hsf? I was planning to use this old cpu on a 440zx mother board I have lying around. The cpu doesn't fit properly and removing it and installing a new heatsink would work though.

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

said by DeusEx:
Are you going to use that new HSF for the oem Intel cpu or what? If so how are you going remove the old hsf?
Yes, and I have no idea. I'm hoping it's not too difficult...

Deus
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Deus to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3
I found it!! »1coolpc.com/home/ Go to this link to learn how to remove that oem heatsink.

xxxSPACExxx
In Deep
Premium Member
3rd Planet

xxxSPACExxx to crane

Premium Member

to crane
I finally got my PeeIII 500GHz OC'd to 600MHz. Using CPUCool. :):)

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3 to Deus

Premium Member

to Deus
Ok, it was a bit nasty, but I got the OEM heatsink off. Basically I had to destroy the pegs to get it off (hope I don't need it again ). However, the Alpha 3125s with dual Sunon fans (w/ Arctic Silver thermal paste) I installed works like a dream! Very quiet.

I'm running my PIII 450MHz at 558 MHz (FSB 124 MHz) and I'm getting nice cool air blowing out the exhaust. I was able to run at 600 MHz (FSB 133 MHz), but the SETI CLI client wouldn't run.

Spacemonkey -- looks like your running at the same FSB as me. Did you try it at 133 MHz?
Coriolis3

Coriolis3 to xxxSPACExxx

Premium Member

to xxxSPACExxx
Ok, not so lucky with my PIII 500MHz chip. For some reason I can't get it above 512 MHz!!

Part of the problem is that CPUFSB (and probably CPUCool, since they're basically the same program) has no setting between FSB speeds of 103 MHz and 124 MHz for my PLL (Cypress W149). I'm running WinNT on this box and my computer instantly crashes when I set my FSB to 124 MHz.

There must be a way to get a better range of FSB speeds... I'm just not sure how...

Anyone?

Deus
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Deus

Premium Member

I think that's the only settings you can choose from to overclock. I haven't seen or heard any program here or in DellTalk, Dell's support forums, where you can actually overclock in 1mhz increments. You could try to email the creator of the CPUFSB and CPUCool to see if it is possible to overclock in 1mhz increments in the registered version as the 100, 103, 124, and 133mhz settings are the only ones I see available in my non-registered version. Well best of luck. T

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

It just seems weird that there's such a gap between 103 and 124. I mean, what's the benefit of raising FSB from 100 to 103? Sure would be nice if there was a 112 setting -- I know some PLL's offer this setting... just not mine. What a drag.