spc
Search similar:

uniqs

webmaker
join:2004-05-08
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

Zone Alarm with Yahoo IM, IM not working

I am sure this problem is not new.  I use Zone Alarm and Yahoo IM won't work.  There is no pop up from ZA to allow IM access to the Internet.

If I turn off ZA, start IM, then start ZA again it seems to run IM okay.

I am wondering why ZA isn't showing me a pop up telling me that IM wants out.??

Anyone understand this problem?  I would appreciate your help with this.

Thank you.

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium Member
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK

Owlbet

Premium Member

Sign out of Yahoo! Messenger.

Open Zone Alarm, highlight YPager.exe in Zone Alarm's Program Control, right click, select Remove. Close Zone Alarm and reboot your computer.

Log back on to messenger. You should be prompted twice by Zone Alarm. You will get a prompt asking if Yahoo! Messenger can act like a server. If you use the voice or file download feature then you will tell it yes. The other prompt will be allowing Yahoo! Messenger access to the internet. It's up to you if you tell Zone Alarm to remember these actions.

Refer to screenshot.

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

Thank you Owlbet for your post.

When I go into ZA I can not add anything.  I click on ADD and then click on YahooMessanger and nothing in ZA.

I just looked into Task Manager and I don't see anything running that might be Yahoo related.

I am using the latest, 7.0.302, version of Zone Alarm by Check Point.  But I had the same issue with the old version.

I have even trying lowering all the Firewall settings and still I can not add the Yahoo IM.

The only program in ZA is Yahoo AutoUpdater.  I have deleted it and it will come back.  But not IM.

I am lost.

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium Member
Palmer, AK

Owlbet

Premium Member

I'm sorry what I suggested didn't work for you. It's worked for me with other programs and it's worked for a friend of mine when they had a problem with BOClean accessing the internet. But I've never manually added a program to Zone Alarm. I've always opened Yahoo! Messenger and then let Zone Alarm pop up it's two prompts and I allow or deny and/or remember accordingly.

You can try two more things. The first is to refresh Zone Alarm's database. This effectively clears out your configurations so you can start over. Directions can be found here:

»ZAP Pro-Not Retain Program Settings When Restart?

The other option is a clean uninstall followed by a reinstallation of Zone Alarm. I know you are using Version 7 of Zone Alarm and I don't think much has changed in how to perform a clean uninstall. Directions by IGGY9 See Profile can be found here:

»Re: Another ZoneAlarm Problem

I would recommend the forums at Zonelabs. I came up empty-handed for your specific problem. Maybe you will have better luck. Zone Lab forums are here:

»forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs

I hope you find a fix that works.

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

webmaker

Owlbet, you are most wonderful.

I went in into the Safe Mode and deleted everything in the Windows\log file and when I restarted, everything was asking permission to get out to the Internet.  I clicked on IM and it ask for permission to leave, three times.

Now it is working,, Thanks to you Owlbet!

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium Member
Palmer, AK

Owlbet

Premium Member

said by webmaker:

I clicked on IM and it ask for permission to leave, three times.
Depending on your configuration, it will ask you three times, once for the updater (which will never ask on my computer because I've renamed the updater file) and twice for Yahoo! Messenger.
said by webmaker:

Now it is working,, Thanks to you Owlbet!
You're welcome. I'm glad you are up and running.