spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

virginiawooolf

@Level3.net

Anyone know why my ip says I am in another state?

Hello.

Would anyone know why an ip address back in December [I had adelphia/time-warner in Orange County, Southern California] would say that I was in another state like Virginia, when I was in fact in California?

A friend of mine noticed that some of my ips from December point to locations in Virginia. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and if that is normal or if Time Warner was/is going through some ip shuffling or something?

Thank you.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
I had it to after the switch from Adelphia. I think it is a new block.

markopolo2

join:2006-09-30
Los Angeles, CA
reply to virginiawooolf
Yes! I think I've had the same problem recently. I'm a former Comcast customer in West Los Angeles, and about 4 or 5 days ago I noticed that Speedtest.net was showing the "closest" test server was in Kansas City! This also happened at the same time I experienced a major slowdown in my downstream from around 6mb (consistently) to around 3-3.5mb. Talked to several reps and the best they can do is schedule a service call, but I'm convinced that something is majorly wrong with the network in this area, and that if the guy shows up and just checks the lines going into my house, it's not going to solve anything. Appointment isn't even until Thursday. If anyone has any insight on what the issue could be or anything I can say to TWC to get them to take this problem more seriously, please let me know! Getting frustrated that I'm paying for the "Extreme" (supposedly 8/768) package and not even getting 4mb download speeds.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
The reverse DNS being wrong on your IP will NOT cause slow speed issues.

Hob

gpidock
Premium
join:2006-12-01
Columbus, OH
reply to virginiawooolf
I have come across the same thing now and then. Sometimes my IP shows it's from Virginia. RoadRunner headquarters is in Herndon Virgina, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

»content.rr.com/rdrun/com_directions.htm

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
said by gpidock:

I have come across the same thing now and then. Sometimes my IP shows it's from Virginia. RoadRunner headquarters is in Herndon Virgina, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

»content.rr.com/rdrun/com_directions.htm
If they shift IP blocks around the country then it takes a while for Reverse DNS to catch up.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dunworkin
Premium
join:2006-12-18
Bellflower, CA
You can always run the spped test here to see where they have you located at present.
»speedtest.net/

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to gpidock
said by gpidock:

Yep. All traceroute programs or locator programs do is look in the RIPE database to check the address the IP address is registered to. RoadRunner has a large amount of IP addresses registered to their HQ in Virginia, so its not uncommon to see that your IP address may come from there.
--
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -
Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by maartena:

All traceroute programs or locator programs do is look in the RIPE database to check the address the IP address is registered to.
Actually, for Road Runner, and any other North American ISP (such as Bell Sympatico, Rogers, Shaw, Cox, Charter, Verizon), they will look it up in the ARIN database.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ABL1

join:2005-12-20
reply to virginiawooolf
Before the Adelphia migration, my ip showed as being in Atlanta, Georgia even tho I am not in Georgia. Now since the migration, my ip shows as a company called maxoncorp-in Herndon, VA, and I don't live there either. I posted a thread about it in site help.

»Set Home ISP
--
Ambiguous Direction | Four Reasons