uniqs
« IP Address that NEVER changes?WOW »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next
KranitzL
join:2007-02-07
New Lenox, IL

KranitzL

Comcast Bandwidth limit?

I just got a call from "Edgar Abuse33" supposedly from Comcast this morning. This guy was rude, threatening, and was a real example of how Comcast treats it's customers. He informed me and my relatives that we had exceeded the "bandwidth limit" Thou there is none listed in our terms of service agreement.
He also asked probing questions, such as if we had a wireless router and other security related things. My father and mother handled most of the call (They are both disabled and I take care of them) very well, thank god. I also just watched a youtube video of a guy with a similar problem and am on here to ask if this is legally possible for them to violate their contract with us, and if there is currently a class action lawsuit, and also if there are any other good HSI ISP's in New Lenox, IL area.
Thanks all!! =D

Siko
Premium Member
join:2006-11-27
Mechanicsburg, PA

Siko

Premium Member

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Does Comcast have bandwidth use limits?
Expand your moderator at work

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to KranitzL

MVM

to KranitzL

Re: Comcast Bandwidth limit?

As to the contract... WHAT contract?

He asked about the wireless because just maybe, if it was unsecured, someone might be connecting and using YOUR connection... nothing sinister about it.
bbitmaster
join:2006-06-17
Knoxville, TN

bbitmaster to KranitzL

to KranitzL
We also got the call today, I was out so my parents answered. They told me a similar story, about the guy being rude threatening, and asking the same probing questions.

I remember this happening once before back in September 2003, back then they wouldn't even tell how much you've downloaded, citing only vague things like "90 movies."

At least this time he gave us a number, 260 gigabytes. I think this was combined upload and download. He told them the service was not unlimited but he would not give a limit, nor tell how much that we need to cut back. This really has me concerned, because I don't know what we are supposed to do.

Our family has 6 computers in the house and we all use internet a lot to stream movies, music, games, and lots of other stuff.

We try to be honest, if we're doing something wrong we'll correct it. But, this is ridiculous, how can we comply with a limit that isn't given? If one were given we would gladly obey. Comcast is also the only high speed provider at my location, if they terminate us we have nowhere to go. If DSL were available I would switch.

Before everyone jumps accusingly about how we are some kind of evil overdownloaders that shouldn't have access, Please keep in mind this is not about overdownloading. If there were a limit and we crossed it, then yes, we would be doing something bad. But there isn't. My family has just been singled out because we all love the internet. And now we could lose what we love for a year.

I would be very interested in a class action lawsuit over this, if anything gets started I'll be part of it.
KranitzL
New Lenox, IL

KranitzL

My dad was the one who brought up the Class Action Lawsuit bit. I mean, you pay for the U/D speed, and then they tell you how much of it you can use? Seems like an oxymoron to me. I'm going to see about switching ASAP, or getting a second line from a different company, but we're honestly a lil tight on money right now. And how can they both have a limit and NOT have a limit at the same time?

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..

1 edit

beerbum to KranitzL

Premium Member

to KranitzL

if you just have to be downloading 24x7x365, subscribe to the workplace service @ $95.. then you can download/upload all to your hearts content (the few times I had to transfer more than a TB, I never got this warning)
KranitzL
New Lenox, IL

KranitzL

Ok, this is not a business, this is not even my house. We all live with my grandmother. And since, In the comcast TOS/Contract our service is unlimited, we are not in violation or breach of contract. If they however do choose to terminate our service without legal justification, THEY will be in breach of contract. If they don't list that they're various service tiers do in fact have overall limits, it's THEIR loss.
So if you all enjoy throwing your money at companies for a service, and they change or alter that service without notifying you or clarifying what changes will be made, just give your money to me.

china crisis
join:2003-05-28

1 recommendation

china crisis

said by KranitzL:

O And since, In the comcast TOS/Contract our service is unlimited
Where does it say in the TOS your service is UNLIMITED?
said by KranitzL:

THEY will be in breach of contract.
You Have NO contract with Comcast.

You really have No idea what your talking about.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to KranitzL

Premium Member

to KranitzL
Please read the FAQs, this comes up _every_ month. You were degrading the service of those around you in violation of the ToS, end of story. I'd considering straightening up and flying right.

I really hope some of the "residents" near me got calls, we've hit the monthly slow-down in my area.

RR73
@dasyp.com

RR73 to KranitzL

Anon

to KranitzL
In a nutshell, Comcast can take their ball and leave anytime they want, and so can you. Maybe when movie downloads from Netflix/Amazon and others become more commonplace, they'll have to re-evaluate what they consider abuse.
KranitzL
New Lenox, IL

KranitzL to Cabal

to Cabal
Excuse me, you want me to not use the bandwidth I pay for? And you hope other people get disconnected because your line is shotty?
Just who's side are you on here?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to KranitzL

MVM

to KranitzL

said by KranitzL:

Excuse me, you want me to not use the bandwidth I pay for?
You're paying for bandwidth? How much bandwidth does Comcast sell in Illinois?

In California, as 'dadkins' will attest, Comcast only sells speed. Here, in San Jose, I can get 4M, or 6M down w/o TV, or 6M and 8M down w/ TV.

No 'bandwidth' option is given on the web site where orders are placed.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

2 edits

Michieru2 to KranitzL

Premium Member

to KranitzL
"Excuse me, you want me to not use the bandwidth I pay for? And you hope other people get disconnected because your line is shotty? Just who's side are you on here?"

So we suppose to be on your side because you said so?
»www.comcast.net/terms/ Read all of it.

"You further agree to comply with all Comcast network, bandwidth, and data storage and usage limitations. You shall ensure that your bandwidth consumption using the Service does not exceed the limitations that are now in effect or may be established in the future. If your use of the Service results in the consumption of bandwidth in excess of the applicable limitations, that is a violation of this Policy. In such cases, Comcast may, in its sole discretion, terminate or suspend your Service account or request that you subscribe to a version of the Service with higher bandwidth usage limitations if you wish to continue to use the Service at higher bandwidth consumption levels."

MrChupacabra
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Florida

MrChupacabra to KranitzL

Premium Member

to KranitzL
Kranitz, I really think you need to review a few things before you go all sue happy there.

There's the Comcast subscriber agreement: »www.comcast.net/terms/su ··· iber.jsp

There the account holder has agreed to several things there including a fun arbitration clause as well as giving Comcast the right to terminate your service at any time as long as notice is given. You've been told to cut back usage so that its not excessive anymore. You got 30 days from that point to play by the rules if you're looking at the subscriber agreement.

There is also the Acceptable Use Policy: »www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

You may want to review sections vii and viii.

And also, the Abuse Policy: »www.comcast.net/terms/abuse.jsp

Take a gander at the last item.

These things tell you when and how they would contact you. This gives an open ended policy that allows it to be customized to the network as technology grows and network demands increase.

For you to have been contacted you are negatively impacting your neighbors ability to use the connection. How would you feel if you had tech after tech out to resolve a speed issue, gets escalated up over and over until its found that one person was making your connection suck?

Please think of the impact you are having on others. Cutting back on the massive downloading so others enjoy it as well is fair after all since as its been stated before, you're getting speed, not bandwidth to use.
MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra to Michieru2

Premium Member

to Michieru2
Someone would post a simplified less wordy version of what I would end up typing at 4am now wouldn't they?
Oddsk8er
join:2002-10-26
Urbana, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Oddsk8er

The best explanation comes from the Acceptable Use Policy:
Network, Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations

Comcast may provide versions of the Service with different speeds and bandwidth usage limitations, among other characteristics, subject to applicable Service plans. You shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, you shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, disrupt, degrade, or impede Comcast's ability to deliver and provide the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network services.
Of course, the only thing about this is that having a seemingly arbitrary limit from the consumer's point of view can be frustrating.

Fr0zen
join:2002-10-22
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Fr0zen to KranitzL

to KranitzL

I've used about 800gb of bandwidth since April 2006; according to DUmeter. I consider myself a serious power user. I upload many large files to and from my webserver, I use VPN and VOIP. I also have a few people on my network that game a lot. If you are doing over 1TB a month you need to find a business class service.

Speaking from experience , there is no way you can download 1TB of legit content in 1 month.
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

1 recommendation

Timmn to KranitzL

to KranitzL
Frankly, I think everybody is missing the point, who cares what he and his family are doing to consume so much bandwidth?

He said in his original post that they would be willing to cut back their usage if Comcast would just give them a limit.

Why won't Comcast say how much is too much? I think it would probably be better for all concerned if Comcast would draw a line and say "Thou shall not cross". Would that be so hard?

CatChow
@comcast.net

CatChow to KranitzL

Anon

to KranitzL

Follow the money

Comcast is in business to make money.

Bandwidth costs money and when you consume too much, you are no longer profitable.

Apparently you crossed the profit/loss line.

Just for giggles, see how many times you can file a claim with your insurance company before they dump ya.
nuclei2v5x
join:2003-07-07
Leesburg, GA

nuclei2v5x to KranitzL

to KranitzL

yeah why can tthey draw a line?