spc
uniqs
KranitzL
join:2007-02-07
New Lenox, IL

KranitzL to Cabal

to Cabal

Re: Comcast Bandwidth limit?

Excuse me, you want me to not use the bandwidth I pay for? And you hope other people get disconnected because your line is shotty?
Just who's side are you on here?
Expand your moderator at work

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to KranitzL

MVM

to KranitzL

said by KranitzL:

Excuse me, you want me to not use the bandwidth I pay for?
You're paying for bandwidth? How much bandwidth does Comcast sell in Illinois?

In California, as 'dadkins' will attest, Comcast only sells speed. Here, in San Jose, I can get 4M, or 6M down w/o TV, or 6M and 8M down w/ TV.

No 'bandwidth' option is given on the web site where orders are placed.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

2 edits

Michieru2 to KranitzL

Premium Member

to KranitzL
"Excuse me, you want me to not use the bandwidth I pay for? And you hope other people get disconnected because your line is shotty? Just who's side are you on here?"

So we suppose to be on your side because you said so?
»www.comcast.net/terms/ Read all of it.

"You further agree to comply with all Comcast network, bandwidth, and data storage and usage limitations. You shall ensure that your bandwidth consumption using the Service does not exceed the limitations that are now in effect or may be established in the future. If your use of the Service results in the consumption of bandwidth in excess of the applicable limitations, that is a violation of this Policy. In such cases, Comcast may, in its sole discretion, terminate or suspend your Service account or request that you subscribe to a version of the Service with higher bandwidth usage limitations if you wish to continue to use the Service at higher bandwidth consumption levels."

MrChupacabra
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Florida

MrChupacabra

Premium Member

Someone would post a simplified less wordy version of what I would end up typing at 4am now wouldn't they?
Oddsk8er
join:2002-10-26
Urbana, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Oddsk8er

The best explanation comes from the Acceptable Use Policy:
Network, Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations

Comcast may provide versions of the Service with different speeds and bandwidth usage limitations, among other characteristics, subject to applicable Service plans. You shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, you shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, disrupt, degrade, or impede Comcast's ability to deliver and provide the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network services.
Of course, the only thing about this is that having a seemingly arbitrary limit from the consumer's point of view can be frustrating.

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto to Oddsk8er

Premium Member

to Oddsk8er

said by Oddsk8er:

Comcast may provide versions of the Service with different speeds and bandwidth usage limitations, among other characteristics, subject to applicable Service plans. You shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, you shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, disrupt, degrade, or impede Comcast's ability to deliver and provide the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network services.
Of course, the only thing about this is that having a seemingly arbitrary limit from the consumer's point of view can be frustrating.
Then Comcast NEEDS to take out the use of the word "UNLIMITED" in it's adverising.

RideRed
Vista needs a popup blocker for Vista
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
USA

RideRed

Premium Member

said by HotRodFoto:

said by Oddsk8er:

Then Comcast NEEDS to take out the use of the word "UNLIMITED" in it's adverising.
Post a link showing Comcast advertising their service as unlimited. They removed the word unlimited from their service like 4 years ago or more.

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto

Premium Member

said by RideRed:
said by HotRodFoto:
said by Oddsk8er:

Post a link showing Comcast advertising their service as unlimited. They removed the word unlimited from their service like 4 years ago or more.
I did, last post page 3, screen capped also
HotRodFoto

1 edit

HotRodFoto to RideRed

Premium Member

to RideRed
Heres another one for ya
»www.comcast-ne.com/inter ··· aqs.html

With Comcast High-Speed Internet, do I need an ISP?
Comcast High-Speed Internet is a full-service Internet Service Provider providing unlimited flat-rate access to the Internet as well as email. There is no need for a separate ISP when you sign up for Comcast High-Speed Internet.

I think this discussion is about over.
CLEVELTECH
join:2006-12-21

CLEVELTECH

Thank you for posting that.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dadkins to HotRodFoto

MVM

to HotRodFoto
Unlimited Access, not unlimited use!

Access, like - no dialing in to get connected - always on.
When you click a link, it just goes!

access: noun
permission, liberty, or ability to enter, approach, or pass to and from a place or to approach or communicate with a person or thing.

use:transitive verb
1archaic : accustom, habituate
2: to put into action or service : avail oneself of : employ
3: to consume or take (as liquor or drugs) regularly
4: to carry out a purpose or action by means of : utilize; also : manipulate 2b
5: to expend or consume by putting to use

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
Denver, CO

4 edits

HotRodFoto to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Unlimited Access, not unlimited use!

Access, like - no dialing in to get connected - always on.
When you click a link, it just goes!

access: noun
permission, liberty, or ability to enter, approach, or pass to and from a place or to approach or communicate with a person or thing.

use:transitive verb
1archaic : accustom, habituate
2: to put into action or service : avail oneself of : employ
3: to consume or take (as liquor or drugs) regularly
4: to carry out a purpose or action by means of : utilize; also : manipulate 2b
5: to expend or consume by putting to use

Umm Dadkins, you said it yerself bro:
"communicate with a person or thing."

Isn't accessing the internet Communicating? Heaven knows my pc has to communicate with the comcast servers :P Yep, that's a thing all right! Now unlimited access, what does that mean? It means being able to get on here anytime u wish, anytime. Now if you use it to much, and they cut you, is THAT unlimited access? No. "Joe is accessing the internet" = Joe is surfin'.

You also quoted the word consume, in order to consume you must also 'use'.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins

MVM

I don't care what you do on your Comcast connection. Max it for all I care!
When you get "The Call", remember what was explained many times to you.

When you get booted, be satisfied in the fact that it is their ball and they went home.
You can't play no more.

I can! I have no problem with the TOS/AUP.
I don't abuse their network!
I will never get "The Call".

Have fun!

RideRed
Premium Member
USA

RideRed to HotRodFoto

Premium Member

to HotRodFoto

THIS is unlimited "use" and is no longer used by Comcast
said by HotRodFoto:

Heres another one for ya
»www.comcast-ne.com/inter ··· aqs.html

With Comcast High-Speed Internet, do I need an ISP?
Comcast High-Speed Internet is a full-service Internet Service Provider providing unlimited flat-rate access to the Internet as well as email. There is no need for a separate ISP when you sign up for Comcast High-Speed Internet.

I think this discussion is about over.

"Access" isn't "Use".

Unlimited access means you can stay connected for an unlimited period of time, unlike dial up where some ISP's don't permit perpetual connectivity or some IDSN where you are charged by time.

THIS is an old and no longer used Comcast advertisement for unlimited USE. Comcast specifically dropped the term "Use" around the time the first big groups of nastygrams went out (I think it was 2003 or so) from their advertising because they didn't provide an "unlimited use" service.

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
Denver, CO

1 edit

HotRodFoto to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

I don't care what you do on your Comcast connection. Max it for all I care!
When you get "The Call", remember what was explained many times to you.

When you get booted, be satisfied in the fact that it is their ball and they went home.
You can't play no more.

I can! I have no problem with the TOS/AUP.
I don't abuse their network!
I will never get "The Call".

Have fun!
Dude, I use 30 gigs a mos, I don't care. BUT I do care that they aren't being honest with THEIR CUSTOMERS! And I can play still, dsl is readily available here and so is wireless. Maybe that explains why no one from Denver is getting these letters, cuz they aren't the only game in town. Fact is, they need to fess up and quit hiding the BS.

RideRed
Premium Member
USA

RideRed

Premium Member

You can agree or disagree with the "phantom cap" tactics, but no one can make the case they are advertising an unlimited consumption service.

They simply aren't. They haven't for about 4 years now.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

1 edit

2 recommendations

beerbum to HotRodFoto

Premium Member

to HotRodFoto
unlimited : lacking any controls : unrestricted : boundless, infinite : not bounded by exceptions

access : to get at : gain access to

limited–access : having access restricted to a relatively small number of points

in this case the meaning of unlimited access is there are no restrictions on what you can access on the Internet

they don't block any www, mail, Usenet, streaming content or anything like that..

unlimited access never meant one could leech files/videos 24x7x365

a person reading the TOS in regards to the section covering "use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an overly large burden on the network..." could figure out constant leeching/running servers could violate this section.. There are some who want to think the term unlimited access means something it is not.

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto to RideRed

Premium Member

to RideRed
Actually it is NOT old, if you look, you will see the advert for DV on the site, and that hasn't been around for anything nearly since 2003. Honestly, if you are accessing the internet, you are using it. I am always connected, I use it when I am. I am always logged in, sitting idle this sec I am downloading 3.0KB a sec....it's usage. What needs to be done is that they need to stop using the word UNLIMITED in any way shape or form or come clean and post their caps. That would end so much confusion.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to HotRodFoto

MVM

to HotRodFoto
Hmmm... we are more alike than you thought then!
I max out at about 30GB per month as well... LOL!

I couldn't care less what the "Inviso-Cap" is! I'll never hit it!

But my downloads do get here kinda fast... Right guys?

Time for me to go get lunch.

Happy downloading!