spc
Search similar:

uniqs

stltech
join:2002-01-27
Florissant, MO

stltech

[Vista] create socket failed 10048

trying to get a nortel vpn client working on Vista. Got it installed (XP SP2 compatibility mode), but each time I try to connect I get the following error - "create socket failed 10048". Any ideas?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

maybe a firewall is blocking it?

Cudni

stltech
Florissant, MO

stltech

no firewall, just a straight dsl line.

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951 to stltech

to stltech
Check that your client is using the same encryption as the server.

stltech
Florissant, MO

stltech

yep, done. I figured that one out when I tried a newer version of the extranet client (nortel) and it didn't work due to the encryption.

mack1951
Universal Soldier
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

This from the Microsoft Knowledge base.
WSAEADDRINUSE (10048)
• Translation: Address already in use.
• Description: Typically, only one usage of each socket address (protocol/IP address/port) is permitted. This error occurs if a program tries to bind (Wsapiref_6vzm.asp) a socket to an IP address or port that has already been used for an existing socket, a socket that was not closed correctly, or a socket that is still in the process of closing. For server programs that have to bind multiple sockets to the same port number, consider using setsockopt (Wsapiref_94aa.asp)(SO_REUSEADDR). Client programs typically do not have to call bind at all, connect (Wsapiref_8m7m.asp) chooses an unused port automatically. When a bind is called with a wildcard address (involving ADDR_ANY), a WSAEADDRINUSE error may be delayed until the specific address is committed. This may occur with a call to another function that occurs later, including connect, listen, WSAConnect, or WSAJoinLeaf.

stltech
Florissant, MO

stltech

ok that is way over my head. any simpler terms to that?

mack1951
Universal Soldier
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

It looks like you are trying to create a socket that already is in use by Vista, it installed in compatibility mode but perhaps it can not run, you may need to wait on a Vista client.

stltech
Florissant, MO

stltech

wait? where's the fun in that?

mack1951
Universal Soldier
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

Pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their backs, it's the ones who wait that get the benefits.

stltech
Florissant, MO

stltech

nice.

so here is an odd question........

we use a software token, so I popped open the defender software to poke around (can't hurt) and I noticed that the defender monitor only shows port 3 available, but it won't connect through it, as the comm port is not open.

How the heck do I get that comm port open?