Angelo

Premium Member

[Extreme] who cancelled so far

from the latest rogers hit??

rtfm
@204.138.156.x

rtfm

Anon

I canceled my service this past weekend as my torrent speeds were unbearable.

managed to get in touch with a manager from rogers and he said that they are not truly shaping the network traffic but simply putting it on the lower priority possible in order not to violate any contractual obligations. he did also mention that this hit made him invest in a bell line for all his warcraft related torrent downloading.

so ya rogers is done , going to switch over to TekSavvy once i find myself a nice cheap dsl modem.
TorJunction
join:2006-11-23

TorJunction

Cancelled two months ago also due to the throttling. Switched to Bell, couldn't be happier.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

I cancelled yesterday and signed up with Teksavvy. Of course, the cancellation is effective at the end of the billing cycle, but that's only 2 weeks away.
pigg
join:2007-02-08
London, ON

pigg to Angelo

to Angelo
Ive cancelled too.

I pretty much went on a slight tangent with the representative on the phone when she asked why I was cancelling.

I explained to her that I wish that Rogers would not have throttled traffic, and remained network neutral.

Teksavvy get's hooked up tomorow, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Bye Bye Rogers. . . . . I might be back if you fix things up for the consumer.
Expand your moderator at work
willtriv
join:2004-02-08
Quispamsis, NB

willtriv to pigg

to pigg

Re: [Extreme] who cancelled so far

I just canceled moments ago. I run a web server and a few other iffy things (DNS, FTP, VNC, SSH, random mail relay ports). Most of the time there is NO FILE SHARING, although i did get tagged by BayTSP as a person who shares ISO images. Well I'm a supporter of freedom, and we all know western countries were founded on these ideologies. It's too bad that digital freedom is something that capitalism isn't so fond of. I think it just goes to prove that the people running corporations that seem to limit the definition of freedom are slight of vision and creativity. Why would they resort to controlling people's freedom for technically legal file sharing. What is worse, is that they CSR specifically noted that I had limewire and that is only possible by deciphering the hex of packet contents. Where has my privacy gone? What can the people do to fight back while for our freedom? Rogers is interested in only 1 thing money, and I'm not going to lose freedom, even if it means switching to an inferior dsl product.

I have had my account shut off two times without so much as a warning email (which i could not get since they disable my modem only moments after). I find it funny the different reasons that they "read off" for blocking me (limewire, trojan, file sharing, WHICH ONE IS IT, YOUR ALL READING THE SAME THING AND TELLING ME DIFFERENT THINGS). I personally recommended rogers to a lot of people. Now I'm warning anyone who wants freedom on the net to seriously run as far away from them as possible.

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

metalhawk to Anon

to Anon
Considering that most of my downloading was done between 12am and 5am, and that I rarely go over 50GB a month, I'd say I was anything but a network-hog. All that happened to them is that they lost my $600 per year.

Throttle this
@rogers.com

1 edit

Throttle this to Anon

Anon

to Anon

I've not yet cancelled but I am very close. I can assure you my business will be missed.

I am a steady high speed customer since 98. In that time I have called customer service twice and have never needed them to come here other than the original install. I think I have exceeded 40 gig once and average around 25. I spend about 350/month on phones/internet/TV of which currently over two hundred goes to Rogers.

I can live with the cap but I would rather decide for myself how I use my bandwidth. Customers like myself take with them more than just high speed business. I am also the kind of customer who can strongly influence my circle of family and friends.
Hibiki2
join:2007-02-03

Hibiki2 to Angelo

to Angelo

I just hang up the phone with Rogers. I just cancelled my internet service. Since I have cable TV services with them as well, I have been receiving a better choice 15% bundle discount. Since I am cancelling the internet service which in turn breaking the "bundle", I have to pay a $50 penalty. What a bunch of muggers!!!

bramptonmt
join:2006-07-25
Kitchener, ON

bramptonmt to Angelo

to Angelo
I am about to cancel Rogers. I have ordered Bell High-Speed. I will buy DSL modem and switch to Teksavvy or one of local providers if it works out okay and if I start hitting 30 GB transfers a month. I can get only 3MBPS line now and Bell is doing some upgrades to get it to 5 MBPS. DSL lines are full in my area in Kitchener.

eareye
join:2003-11-18
Ottawa, ON

eareye to Angelo

to Angelo
I should be receiving my SpeedTouch 516 tomorrow and my TekSavvy account should be activated on Monday!

I intend to try it out for a bit and, barring some sort of line-related problem, I'll be ready to ditch Rogers. (Of course, if I get really bad speeds I'll have a modem to sell if anybody else wants to make the switch. )

I can live with a reasonable bit cap and even some throttling now and then but as it stands now, BitTorrent is entirely dead. The bulk of my downloading is live concerts from the Dimeadozen tracker as well as some others so the loss of BitTorrent leaves a pretty big hole in what I use the Internet for.

Aside from BitTorrent, I've also always had a bit of an issue with how Rogers feels completely free to make any change they want and introduce any policies they wish without so much of a courtesy e-mail. (Yes, yes. I know it's their service and I'm just a lowly paying customer...)

-eareye

P.S. Anybody worried that TekSavvy is going to be getting too many subscribers all at once?

anondaks001
@cia.com

anondaks001

Anon

I just canceled 2 business accounts we'll try 3web see how they are. So far speeds seem more stable than Rogers have bell as a backup at each site but I might change them to TekSavvy.

If Rogers keeps being such dicks I have about 30 other business customers that will switch based on my summary report.

Hmmm I'm only $200 a month in lost business, and my client base is only $3000 a month in lost business but each one of them have friends that are also getting just as pissed with some of Rogers "Holier than the lowly customer" attitude. So if 3 web behaves the next two months and agrees to meet with me to review a few things.

That's $38,400 a year in lost sales for Rogers and counting.

Since I do a lot of consulting for business I'll make sure that companies are well briefed on Roger's policies. And since Torrent distribution is an excellent cost saving medium for business....

Maybe a tip to some stock traders is now in order...
Kelaydi
join:2003-01-08
North York, ON

Kelaydi to Angelo

to Angelo
I think it's pretty reasonable for Rogers to assume they're not going to lose a lot of business customers because of torrent throttling. I can't think of any reasonable use for BT for a business. Business customers would generally be the ones encouraging throttling of P2P, if it means their business can get a faster more reliable connection.
AbsoltPurEvl
join:2007-02-11
London, ON

AbsoltPurEvl

I haven't cancelled, but I have lowered my my package to a cheaper one, untill I can actaully find an ISP who will actually provide what they offer... Why pay all that money for a service that Rogers CLAIMS to be providing..

Basically this is, "we're not going to provide what we're offering, but it's ok, don't worry, you can still pay us for an imaginary service, we won't tell anybody you're a complete idiot, it'll be our little secret... dumbass... "

I can understand why rogers is a freaking CHEAT.. The Blue Jays don't play for free y'know...

LunaticHigh
@rogers.com

LunaticHigh to Angelo

Anon

to Angelo
I want to cancel but Tekksaavy isn't available in my area (North York) are there any other ISPs similar to it, does Bell throttle?

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY

Premium Member

said by LunaticHigh :

I want to cancel but Tekksaavy isn't available in my area (North York) are there any other ISPs similar to it, does Bell throttle?
We're not available in North York? You sure?

LunaticHigh
@rogers.com

LunaticHigh

Anon

Checked availability online and also called up. "Not available, but coming soon." Based on my phone number...
brahim0
join:2007-02-13
Mississauga, ON

brahim0 to LunaticHigh

to LunaticHigh
i have ordered teksavvy. I am in the process of migrating my rogers email address to another one. I will cancel rogers very soon. I've been a loyal rogers customer snce 99. I have loved their service even though it was a little more expensive. I have recommended rogers to many. I just hate it has come to this. I use torrents, but i've never passed their cap. I remember they didnt even have the cap. I should have seen this coming.

Somehow I want them to realize their mistake. Once im gone i dont think i'll which back to rogers agian.

Do you think they are noticing all these cancellations?

-brahim

Anonymou
@telus.net

Anonymou to LunaticHigh

Anon

to LunaticHigh
If your number is private, it will always say that.

rosenqui
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

rosenqui to Angelo

Premium Member

to Angelo
I'll be cancelling as soon as I get DSL (TekSavvy) installed and operational.

LunaticHigh
@rogers.com

LunaticHigh to Anonymou

Anon

to Anonymou
My number is not private, I am sure of this.

bramptonmt
join:2006-07-25
Kitchener, ON

bramptonmt

You need a regular phone line from Bell (no VOIP, Rogers, Primus, etc.) to check availability of DSL online.

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

said by bramptonmt:

You need a regular phone line from Bell (no VOIP, Rogers, Primus, etc.) to check availability of DSL online.
Not true. I have VoiP with Primus in Ottawa, and I could check my availability just fine.

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

KPaul to Angelo

to Angelo
About to.

I signed up with teksavvy, and go live on the 19th
octapuss
join:2007-02-15
Toronto, ON

octapuss to Angelo

to Angelo

question

if you a not through with your contract do you have to pay the remainder...or is so legal ground i can argure with rogers...

like they are not providing the service i orginally signed up for....?

thanks

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

It's not clear, but the problem is that you have continued to use the service after you discovered the changes, which in their eyes means you accepted the changes. BUT I would definitely have a try at telling them to fly a kite when it comes to the early termination fee.