spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ronnie6657
join:2003-05-04
Ellicott City, MD

Ronnie6657

ISDN desync question

We recently had an ice/snow storm in MD and I lost sync to ISDN and I was wondering if this is something I have to report or does it come back up similar to an thunder storm in the spring time?

I was just wondering if Verizon knows when there is problems or is it something people have to report before they figure it out?
Ronnie6657

Ronnie6657

Well it synced back up but I was kind of curious how it worked still. Like... when the 3com 3C892A-US ISDN modem says up and blinks the light on the ISDN, but can't connect to the internet, is that just a verizon problem somewhere? How do I know if its something that I should worry about? When it doesn't blink at all?
rhan77
join:2004-05-02
Meridian, MS

rhan77

If it doesn't blink at all then something is wrong with your line, it could possibly be your router going bad, but mostly likely your line

EddieNash1873
join:2005-02-09
Moss Landing, CA

EddieNash1873 to Ronnie6657

to Ronnie6657
call those lazy SOBs Riht now and keep harrasing till they get off their ass and follow their court orders to keep their ISDN up 99.9% with full speed. Anything less than that, fire the pricks. At least let them know how worthless they are and threaten the laws set to keep your downtine first prioriy.
rhan77
join:2004-05-02
Meridian, MS

rhan77

said by EddieNash1873:

call those lazy SOBs Riht now and keep harrasing till they get off their ass and follow their court orders to keep their ISDN up 99.9% with full speed. Anything less than that, fire the pricks. At least let them know how worthless they are and threaten the laws set to keep your downtine first prioriy.
Why are you wasting forum space making retarded posts? people come here for help not to read non-sense or rambling posts that have no meaning

ISDNexpert
@gatespeed.com

ISDNexpert

Anon

nothing was unusefull or untrue. Why you wasting time replying to posts that are a waste of your time.

Are you aware of all the Supreme court rulings on ISDN

Telcohater
@gatespeed.com

Telcohater

Anon

Want a shiny new Cisco 804 Costs more to ship than buy after the crash...when wireless finally reached everyone

I got a Netgear if you want. Definately report it and have them come out to check the line. THey are overpaid and court orders make ISDN users at least get top priority for service calls

EddieNash1873
Moss Landing, CA

EddieNash1873 to Ronnie6657

to Ronnie6657
said by Ronnie6657:

We recently had an ice/snow storm in MD and I lost sync to ISDN and I was wondering if this is something I have to report or does it come back up similar to an thunder storm in the spring time?

I was just wondering if Verizon knows when there is problems or is it something people have to report before they figure it out?
Ive gotten so use to my new connection i take it for granted and may not be as helpfull or anoying but your lying if you dont agree..

The report was deleted...managed to dig up an old post that has a few highlights of the 50 page report. It was right on wish i saved or printed it before it was deleted. I assume its sudden page hits or Harvard hosting it didnt want TElcos mad because why would it suddenly dissapear after a couple thousand hits.

"Author Topic functions : news-worthy

EddieNash187

Moss Landing, CA

ISDN Pricing, What Went Wrong (well written

»www.ksg.harvard.edu/iip/ngct/love.html

Has anyone read this report the telco's wouldn't want you to see? (It may be already on this site...i didn't check) Im sure some of you have, at least those of you that want more rollbacks:). Yes we all hate the phone companies, especially isdn users i might add. We hate them with a passion! haha Nothing ever makes sense with their pricing. I liked this paper because its like a thesis on exactly how they pulled it off, and why ISDN failed to take off in the 90's, and why its still so over priced. Every phone company seems to be as crooked as the next. its actually funny to read its so criminal.

Heres a few of my favorites, if you don't have time to read the lengthy report

In virtually every ISDN proceeding, the ILECs(phone companies) got enormous mileage by presenting data that was so incomplete it was meaningless, or it was simply irrelevant. The centerpiece of this was the famous "holding time" data that would always be presented as a major blockbuster.
hah...sounds like the OJ trial

"5. We've already paid for most of it! Residential ISDN consumers have paid for years to upgrade network facilities for the next generation of digital network services. But only businesses have actually benefitted from those investments. Residential consumers should demand reasonably priced ISDN or a rollback in rates based upon a reallocation of the network costs to business users."

For the five ILCEs that responded to the FCC inquiry, the average incremental cost for all NTS BRI ISDN costs was 12 percent of the POTS cost. (Both NYNEX and US West reported BRI loop costs lower than POTS loop costs.) Not only are these cost differentials relatively minor items...
to forum · permalink · [Encourage,Ignore,Watch] · 2005-02-10 19:31:09 · Reply to this

EddieNash187

Moss Landing, CA

heres one example of the wild price variations

Table 3

Examples of Call Pack Options

Price of pre-paid usage "call pack" options. Amount of usage in 2b/1b hours.

Bell Atlantic - District of Columbia, West Virginia, Virginia
10/20 $3130/60 $4570/140 $60150/300 $90
250/500 $120unlimited $249

SBC/Missouri 5/10 $51.77
60/120 $69.87

unlimited $80.27

SBC/PacBell - California 100/200 offpeak $26.67
BellSouth - Alabama 30/60 $57.39
BellSouth - Florida 100/200 $57.09
US West - Washington State 20/40 $50
unlimited $63

US West - Arizona 200/400 $79
US West - Utah 25/50 $30
40/100 $40

100/200 $54

unlimited $64

US West - Iowa 100/200 $73
unlimited $184

US West - Minnesota Service Area A
100/200 $68

unlimited $149

Service Area B

100/200 $104

unlimited $149

US West - Montana, North Dakota, Iowa, Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming
100/200 $68 $88
unlimited $184

Anchorage Telephone Utility (month to month option, and 36 month contract) 2.5/5 $33.55 $25.15
25/50 $57.55 $43.15

50/100 $75.55 $56.65

unlimited $160.25 $120.20

An expenditure of $50 to $54 will buy 10 hours from SBC in Missouri, 40 hours from US West in Washington State and 200 hours from US West in Utah. BellSouth charges $57.39 for 60 hours in Alabama, and the same company charges same amount for 200 hours in Florida. Bell Atlantic charges $60 for 140 hours, while SBC/PacBell charges $26.67 for 200 hours of off peak usage. Indeed, for $3 or $4 more than the Bell Atlantic 140 hour call pack, you can get unlimited usage from US West in Utah or Washington.
to forum · permalink · [Encourage,Ignore,Watch] · 2005-02-10 19:38:40 · Reply to this

EddieNash187

Moss Landing, CA

I love the closing argument. powerful ammunition!

Closing Comments (nothing has changed since 98...has it really?)

As we approach the end of 1998, it is astonishing how much we continue to rely upon analog modems for internet connections that have high latency, are not robust, and which have limited bandwidth. The ILECs are deliberately abandoning any commitment to make analog lines clear enough to permits the newer analog modems to work close to their advertised 56 Kbps capacity. The closer we get to wider commercial deployment of xDSL and cable modems, the better we understand the obstacles, including the geographic limitations on the proposed rollout.

Right now the ILECs are acting like a monopoly. They are refusing to deploy a socially valuable technology because the service is subject to price and common carrier regulation. The ILECs believe they can force the government to permit deregulated xDSL deployment.

We do not know how xDSL or cable modems will ultimately be priced. We know they are a superior technology in many ways for those who live in markets where the services will be available. But policy makers have no alternatives to ISDN for those who live in communities that will not get xDSL or cable modem services.

ISDN, as a mature and inexpensive technology, suffers from its comparison to products which do not exist, which have yet to be priced, and which are unlikely to serve important segments of society. ISDN also suffers from the continual lowering of expectations regarding the public sector, and an acceptance that the monopoly ILECs will continue to dictate the most important decisions regarding future infrastructure development.

In our view, the conventional wisdom regarding ISDN is wrong, and it is timely and prudent to revisit ISDN pricing dispute. We believe policy makers should position BRI ISDN as a basic digital service for those who do not have better or affordable alternatives.
to forum · permalink · [Encourage,Ignore,Watch] · 2005-02-14 00:40:38 · Reply to this

Catbus(anon)
@md.d
reply to EddieNash187
Re: ISDN Pricing, What Went Wrong (well written

Well written is an understatement
to forum · permalink · 2005-02-16 21:16:33 · Reply to this
Topic:
"