share rss forum feed

Bada Bing
WVU Mountaineers
Premium
join:2001-05-29
Fort Gay, WV

1 edit

McAfee Security Suit is now available for Suddenlink users

Just log in and go to manage accountsand download for free.
»account.suddenlink.net/selfcare/

I used Norton and until a few years ago and now I use Free AVG. I used McAfee back in the mid 1990's. I wonder if McAfee is any good these days?

To ensure that your PC stays protected you must download McAfee security software by February 15th. It's free to 3 Mbps Internet Customers and easy to download.
To make the change visit suddenlink.net
Click on "Manage My Account" Tab
Click on "More Information" under the McAfee Icon
Then follow the easy click through Wizard to download and install the McAfee Security Software.
Discover the Next Generation of Web Security Services With McAfee:

Protect your PC from viruses and other threats with McAfee's leading security software. Get full protection for your PC, including unlimited McAfee updates and upgrades for your subscription period.
Antivirus - Automatically blocks, cleans, and removes viruses so you can surf the Web safely and download files. McAfee X-ray for Windows - Detects and kills rootkits and other malicious applications that hide from Windows and other anti-virus programs.
Cookie Blocking & Removal
Anti-spyware - Blocks spyware before it installs on your computer and removes existing spyware so you can surf the Web safely.
Personal Firewall - Automatically trusts known good applications and helps block spyware, Trojans, and key loggers.
Privacy Service / Parental Controls - Filters offensive content, pictures and web sites so you can keep your children safe when online. Also includes keyword blocking and URL filtering.
Image Analyzer - Provides enhanced content protection by protecting your family from potentially offensive content and pictures.
Site Advisor - Adds safety ratings to sites and search engine results based on comprehensive spam, adware, and online scam safety tests.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

join:2006-08-11
WV
Hi Bada Bing. How long is the service for? Is it just a trial for so many days? I too used to have Norton on my computer and never will again. It was a pain in the butt to remove and since I'm afraid of messing with the registry I still have remnants left over. I'm now running Avast AV, Comodo firewall and Windows Defender all of which are free. My computer now starts much faster and runs faster.

McAfee and Norton are know as Bloatware that slows computers down. However, they are very easy to use for beginners. Also, with a suite type product, it is easier for malware writers and hackers to disable since it shares code.

If this deal is for a years license, I think the retail for it is about $60. If its only for a trial to get you to buy their software, like most computers come factory installed with, I would stay away. Mcafee is also a pain to uninstall.
--
If we quit voting, will they all just go away?

tekguy1
Go Mountaineers

join:2002-07-28
Charmco, WV
Yea, it appears to be bloated...might be as bad as Nortons now.

Better off sticking with free AVG in my opinion...and that may be right or wrong.

Finger2208

join:2001-04-07
Lindale, TX
I use the McAfee Security Suite (newest version) on my pc at work and it's horrible. Should be in the bloat-ware hall of shame!

Katie A

join:2007-02-05
Tyler, TX
reply to balloonshark
balloonshark,

I just wanted to provide some detail on the McAfee Suite available to you (WV customers) via Suddenlink.net. The service is available to our internet subscribers excluding those with the Value package. There is no trial time. It is an extended subscription as long as your service with Suddenlink is active. I hope I was able to answer your questions. Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks.
Katie A

Tweak
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit
reply to Finger2208
I agree its bloatware but its a nice thing that its provided for novice users who need some sort of protection. Its better that grandmas machine not be a spam zombie, or proxied machine. I think its great they offer it. Would you and I download it no. This is for your average computer user who isn't aware of free alternatives or does not want to shell out money for an anti virus software.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

join:2006-08-11
WV

1 edit
reply to Bada Bing
Katie A, thanks for the details. I tried logging on with my account number and it wouldn't let me. It states.
"We're sorry. Suddenlink.net features are not yet available in your area."
While I wouldn't use Mcafee, I have a relative that could use a simple security solution. I'm also not sure if I have a value package. I have 3mb internet with extended/basic cable tv. (probably considered as a value package.)

Tweek, I also agree, it's good for everyone to have some sort of protection. After all, it frees up bandwidth for everyone if all are machines are clean and not zombies. It's a win win situation.

If we quit voting, will they all just go away?

Tweak
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Oklahoma City, OK
If you want a good software firewall with out a lot of bloat try outpost firewall. The free version is sufficient for most people and with the combo of avg free it will work as a good security combo. I have the pro version and and very happy with it.

Katie A

join:2007-02-05
Tyler, TX
reply to balloonshark
Balloonshark,

Let me know what problems you are having with McAfee and I will do my best to help. If you want to IM me any account info, username ideally, I can make sure that your McAfee is ready to go via your Suddenlink.net profile.

Thanks.
Katie A

jpaprocki2

join:2007-03-02
Davisville, WV
reply to Bada Bing
Just downloaded and installed it on my computer. I have been using Zonealarm Internet security, but it's not Vista compatible yet and I have upgraded to Vista. I needed something to use until it is so I tired it.

I have a P4 3.4 GHz with 3MB of Ram and after installing, McAfee brought my system to it's knees! It takes forever know to do anything with it running. I guess I will stick with Counterspy for malware, AVG free for antivirus and windows firewall until ZA is vista compatible.

It's nice they make it free, but it is a resource hog.

simmery

join:2006-01-29
I haven't tried the McAfee security suite offered by Suddenlink, but my wife has McAfee VirusScan Plus on her computer, and I tried it on two of mine, along with McAfee's SiteAdvisor.

McAfee VS+ and SiteAdvisor works fine on the wife's machine and worked very well on mine. Resource usage was surprisingly modest in all cases. Other users have complained about McAfee's "bloat," though, so mileage varies. MVS+ does seem to use quite a few processes.

My specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz CPU
Chaintech 9CJS motherboard
1 gigabyte Corsair ValueRAM
ATI X800 XL video card (AGP - 256 MB video RAM)
Audigy 2 sound card
120 gigabyte Maxtor IDE hard drive
Windows XP Home
etc.

On this machine, I switched to Norton Internet Security 2007, but only because I wanted to see how a free upgrade from NIS 2006 to 2007 would work. I had great results and just left NIS 2007 on there because I wanted to take advantage of the freebie.

Wife's specs (quite a bit slower than the system above):

Athlon 2800 XP CPU
Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
1 gigabyte Corsair ValueRAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card (AGP - 128 MB video RAM)
Audigy sound card
60 gigabyte Western Digital IDE hard drive
Windows XP Home
etc.

The wife uses her computer for work and puttering -- Microsoft Office 2003, Internet Explorer 7.

I use the Intel machine for work, puttering, and gaming -- Office 2007, Internet Explorer 7, games of all sorts ranging from Microsoft Pinball to Oblivion. During gaming, McAfee had no noticeable impact and was very well-behaved. I can say the same about NIS 2007.

I also put McAfee on a newer gaming computer with good results, but the specs are higher than the Intel machine cited above, so listing them would be meaningless. As an experiment to see if I could squeeze out a few more gains on the newer computer, I replaced McAfee with NOD32 and ZoneAlarm free version. There was a measurable but, imo, negligible difference. From an experiential standpoint, I "felt" no difference in speed or behavior. I would have no qualms about switching back to McAfee if circumstances point me in that direction. I only leave NOD32 on there because I paid $40 for it.

I don't at all dispute your experience. As I said, I haven't tried the version Suddenlink is offering. I'm just relating my personal experience, for what it's worth.

jpaprocki2

join:2007-03-02
Davisville, WV
reply to Bada Bing
Yeah I agree with you. I read some of the same things about ZoneAlarm Security, but have never had a problem with it. I did remove zonealarm from my wifes comp and installed the Suddenlink Mcafee on hers to see how it did. Hers is an old comp running XP with about 1 GB of ram.

It ran fine on her computer. It did use more resources than ZA does and there was a noticeably slower startup time, but it still ran ok. I guess Mcafee doesn't like my computer.