This is a sub-selection from The crux of the problem

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to karlmarx

Re: The crux of the problem

Technically, I believe you are buying the right to view the movie, not the movie itself. While I mostly agree that you should be able to watch when and where you want (assuming you've purchased the content), I'd gladly pay less money if I knew I could only watch a movie on my home theater vice any device capable of loading the media. Will decreasing consumer costs in this manner be a reality of DRM? I seriously doubt it.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

2 recommendations

The media companies would love this because customers would pay more. Imagine this hypothetical scenario ("DVD" is used as it is a familiar term, but it could be replaced with whatever technology accomplishes this):

You buy a new DVD and play it in your home theater setup. Then you go try to play it on the DVD player in your bedroom DVD player. Instead of seeing the movie, you are prompted to pay for an extra "Device License." Fine, you pay for that. Now you try to view it on your laptop's DVD player only to be prompted to pay for a "Computer Device License" (slightly more than the normal "Device License" as the computer might be used to pirate the movie). You take the movie to a friend's house but have to pay for another license to watch it there. The initial cost of the DVD wouldn't have changed significantly (maybe a token price drop to highlight that it's cheaper this way) but the net price paid by consumers would wind up being higher.

Oh, and one last thing. Those "Device Licenses" would likely get filed away as not being "movie revenue" and so wouldn't count towards paying the actors, directors, etc who made the movie. They would, however, go towards the movie executives' new high priced auto and perhaps some female accompaniment to boot.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
Right. I said I would go for it if I paid less. I would gladly pay $2/device to purchase a DVD instead of $20 to do whatever I wanted with it.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
Except it wouldn't likely be cheaper. Instead, you would pay about $18 for the DVD (and one device license) and then $2 for every extra device. So as long as you only use it on one device you'd pay a bit less. But use it on more than 2 devices and you would be paying more.