how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

Time to bring back regulations

It's VERY clear that the duopoly situation we are in is going to result in massive price increases, because they CAN. A duopoly is NOT free market, it's control of a service. It's high time we force these companies to provide What we want, how we want it. I'm not saying comcast or verizon is to blame though. I blame ABC for forcing them to carry 20 crap channels for every good channel. It's time to re-regulate the MPAA corps, and FORCE them to provide a-la-carte options. I know I would only pay for about 10 channels if I was given a choice, and that would certainly cut my bill by about 75%
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

c0de

join:2004-10-14
Richmond, VA

I will agree with you on the 10 channels.

But what I would like to see, and I am sure it can be done, if it has not been done already.

I would like to pay for 30 channels, but have to option to swap and interchange those channels on a daily basis, the cable compaines could charge me for haveing my block of 10/20/30+ chanels on a monthly basis, then charge a dollar or whatever each time i wanted to swap a channell. then also maybe have the ability to trial or preview chanells not in your line up.

they would make a killing! and i would be much happier paying for 20 chans of selected content at 19.99 a month than paying for 200 chans of wich i only wathc about 10-20 of, for close to a hundred bucks a month.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2
reply to karlmarx

said by karlmarx:

I blame ABC for forcing them to carry 20 crap channels for every good channel. It's time to re-regulate the MPAA corps, and FORCE them to provide a-la-carte options. I know I would only pay for about 10 channels if I was given a choice, and that would certainly cut my bill by about 75%
LMAO!! Yeah right! You are assuming that if you only ask for 10 channels that they will cut your bill down to 20% (based on a 50 channel basic lineup) ?? You're kidding, right?

If ala carte is ever offered, it is going to jack the price per channel up big time. Right now, my area offers 74 standard channels for $49, which comes to about $0.67/ channel per month. The reason it is as low as it is, is because these channels are negotiating based on the number of households in which they are available. If you lower the number of households, you raise the price per channel.

If you expect to pay $6.70/ month AND you get to choose WHICH channels you get at that price, you are absolutely out of your mind.

Here's how it would play out. Let's say you want ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, ESPN, Comedy Central, A&E, MTV, & VH1. Here's something similar to what you would see on your bill:

ABC: $2
NBC: $2
CBS: $2
FOX: $2
PBS: $2
Comedy Central: $4
A & E: $4
MTV: $4
VH1: $4
ESPN: $15

TOTAL: $46

Where's the savings?