RayW
Premium Member
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

1 recommendation

RayW

Premium Member

I like all the answers so far.

About what I expected here, especially with a title that does not appear to have anything to do with proven baby deaths. Just as bad as the garbage that I read on some of the links.

Scientific evidence: Most people here are too young to remember, much less were around, when Heroin was touted as the scientifically proven perfect miracle drug, cleanses the bowls, promotes clear skin, and a host of other benefits. And don't forget certain morning sickness pills like thalidomide, scientifically proven to be safe.....at one time. Just depends on how much money is involved.

Speaking of cell phones like some folks brought up, my co-worker's neuro-surgeon told her he has seen a rise in certain tumors in people who use cell phones a lot, and on the side they hold the phone to their head. Of course, all the big money says that ain't so, and there is a lot of paper published to prove it. Oh well, he is only a doctor out west in Hick Country, and maybe was just cutting in her head to make a few dollars.

But like Seth says, I wonder how many of those anti-wifiers use cell phones or wireless home phones. Heck, even a computer network switch, mine puts out enough hash at 15 feet to badly affect my two meter radio on several frequencies that I use.

calvoiper
join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

calvoiper

said by RayW:

... And don't forget certain morning sickness pills like thalidomide, scientifically proven to be safe.....at one time. ...
Actually, this statement is false. Thalidomide was never scientifically proven to be safe. Instead, the tragedies connected with its use were the reason the US and other countries enacted laws requiring such proof for new drugs in the early 1960's.

By contrast, much is known about radiation, power levels, and their effect on human and animal cells. The vast consensus is that Wi-Fi power levels are insufficient to cause damage. Frankly, any reasonable person will admit that salt is more dangerous.

calvoiper

fuzz
Fuzz
Premium Member
join:2000-06-05
FuzzLand

fuzz to RayW

Premium Member

to RayW
Remember these?

»www.orau.org/ptp/collect ··· shoe.htm

calvoiper
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

calvoiper

Yes, I've read of these (and other) fluoroscopes. Again, they were deployed before scientific evaluation of radiation hazards. We are no longer in that timeframe, no matter how much some folks (who studied "cultural identity" and "philosophy" instead of math and science in school) would like us to believe we are.

These folks may be ignorant, and certainly have the freedom to exercise their ignorance by not buying WiFi. However, it is wrong to allow them to inflict their ignorance on the rest of us. Along with salt, automobiles are a much more real hazard. There are much more cogent arguments to be made that cities could improve the health of their residents by banning automobiles than by banning (or refusing to deploy) WiFi.

calvoiper

RayW
Premium Member
Layton, UT

RayW

Premium Member

said by calvoiper:

Yes, I've read of these (and other) fluoroscopes. Again, they were deployed before scientific evaluation of radiation hazards. We are no longer in that timeframe, no matter how much some folks (who studied "cultural identity" and "philosophy" instead of math and science in school) would like us to believe we are.

These folks may be ignorant, and certainly have the freedom to exercise their ignorance by not buying WiFi. However, it is wrong to allow them to inflict their ignorance on the rest of us. Along with salt, automobiles are a much more real hazard. There are much more cogent arguments to be made that cities could improve the health of their residents by banning automobiles than by banning (or refusing to deploy) WiFi.

calvoiper
Some of these issues were not that long ago. And still more 'scientific truths' are being found to be false even today. Time will tell, but one paper I read back in school many years ago predicted a slow trend in problems that would be masked by time, and would be considered normal for a more 'genteel' society.

Oh well, time will tell, it could go either way.
RayW

RayW to calvoiper

Premium Member

to calvoiper
said by calvoiper:

Actually, this statement is false. Thalidomide was never scientifically proven to be safe. Instead, the tragedies connected with its use were the reason the US and other countries enacted laws requiring such proof for new drugs in the early 1960's.

calvoiper
I talked a pediatrician neighbor, and his opinion was that it was proven safe, until real use proved different. He did agree that it was one item that made more testing in the US a fact. But then he is only a doctor, so his answer may be suspect by some folks.

calvoiper
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

calvoiper

Wikipedia has a section on thalidomide, describing the tests which were run on it. They weren't focused on safety at all--rather on effectiveness.

calvoiper
calvoiper

calvoiper to RayW

to RayW
OK. Pardon me if I don't shape my worldview on one paper you read in school many years ago, and instead go with the consensus opinions of informed scientists.

calvoiper

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

RadioDoc to RayW

to RayW
You could say that about anything, at any time. Eating raw mastodon meat was probably not a good idea either.

If you never want to get sick because of something in your environment, kill yourself before it happens. Because something, at some time, will eventually do you in.

Those chasing perfect safety are naive. And probably will die from their own naivety (such as refusing to properly treat a nosebleed) rather than any environmental agent.

RayW
Premium Member
Layton, UT

RayW to calvoiper

Premium Member

to calvoiper
said by calvoiper:

OK. Pardon me if I don't shape my worldview on one paper you read in school many years ago, and instead go with the consensus opinions of informed scientists.

calvoiper
Go right ahead, they will probably change their collective minds agin in a short while. Seems that happens all too often.
RayW

RayW to calvoiper

Premium Member

to calvoiper
said by calvoiper:

Wikipedia has a section on thalidomide, describing the tests which were run on it. They weren't focused on safety at all--rather on effectiveness.

calvoiper
Think I will trust the view point of a pediatrician I know over Wikipedia any day. Can't go get more information since I am at work and he is probably still in bed. And I doubt if his opinion would matter anyway.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to RayW

Premium Member

to RayW
Bethel Middle School is built under 340kv feeder power lines.....

RayW
Premium Member
Layton, UT

RayW

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Bethel Middle School is built under 340kv feeder power lines.....
There was a large flap about similar things some years ago. Since the energy crunch in California, I have not heard anything. Do know that some of those lines swamp the FM radio and kill the AM side when you drive under.

calvoiper
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

calvoiper

said by RayW:

... Do know that some of those lines swamp the FM radio and kill the AM side when you drive under.
...and light up fluorescent tubes if you align them correctly....

calvoiper

RayW
Premium Member
Layton, UT

RayW

Premium Member

Never had that happen with power lines, but then the ones near by are only 12KV. Now on our ship when the HF transmitters were sending the traffic, that is how we chased off people from the prime sunbathing spot. Of course, with the current RF exposure rules, that would probably be an off limits area now.