Mount Vernon, WA

DreamWraith

Premium Member

w00t?

I would take suspension over a frivolous lawsuit any day

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450

"second time offenders are forced to watch an eight-minute anti-piracy DVD produced by the RIAA"

Ouch! That should be for 3rd time offenders. Lol I can see it now...Stop downloading or I will make you watch a boring video full of Bull Shit!!!

kyramilan
join:2006-11-26
Pensacola, FL

kyramilan to DreamWraith

to DreamWraith
Hate to say it but kids need to abide laws. Or, use an encrypted Newsgroup (like smart people do).

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

Matt3

Premium Member

said by kyramilan:

Hate to say it but kids need to abide laws. Or, use an encrypted Newsgroup (like smart people do).
And what is to stop the RIAA from hiring a kid at $20/hr to monitor the encrypted newsgroups? Encrypting your NNTP connection does no good unless the news host doesn't retain the X-Posted-From IP. If you can do it, so can the RIAA.

Even then, encrypting the NNTP session is completely pointless and just wastes bandwidth. It's not like your ISP has an RIAA installed packet capture server that monitors all traffic and uses behavior analysis and packet combining to determine that you are transmitting copyrighted material.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to DreamWraith

MVM

to DreamWraith
said by DreamWraith:

I would take suspension over a frivolous lawsuit any day
As would I.

However, it'd be better if you just didn't have to do anything at all, period.

kyramilan
join:2006-11-26
Pensacola, FL

kyramilan to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by kyramilan:

And what is to stop the RIAA from hiring a kid at $20/hr to monitor the encrypted newsgroups? Encrypting your NNTP connection does no good unless the news host doesn't retain the X-Posted-From IP. If you can do it, so can the RIAA.

Even then, encrypting the NNTP session is completely pointless and just wastes bandwidth. It's not like your ISP has an RIAA installed packet capture server that monitors all traffic and uses behavior analysis and packet combining to determine that you are transmitting copyrighted material.
I guess it is simple: DON'T Violate the Law!

guitarzan
Premium Member
join:2004-05-04
Skytop, PA

guitarzan to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

And what is to stop the RIAA from hiring a kid at $20/hr to monitor the encrypted newsgroups?
When the RIAA hires said kid @ $ 20.00 per hour, then kid uses the RIAA's extortion tactics, to sell IP addresses back to RIAA at $150,000 and up per IP.

Obliteration
Premium Member
join:2005-09-18
Somewhere

Obliteration to kyramilan

Premium Member

to kyramilan
said by kyramilan:
said by Matt3:
said by kyramilan:

I just created a law that states to kill yourself kyramilan. You're BS beliefs state you must follow anything that is a law.

Good luck killing yourself. Make sure to do it slowly and painfully.

Have a nice day!!!

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

Even then, encrypting the NNTP session is completely pointless and just wastes bandwidth.
Wastes bandwidth or wastes cycles?

-tom

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to kyramilan

to kyramilan
said by kyramilan:

What law would that be? Copyright law? I have yet to see the RIAA come up with an iron-clad argument in their favor. They work in gray areas in copyright law and boast their opinion on it as the word of law. How many lawsuits have the RIAA won? How many actually make it to court? How many countersuits do we hear about only to have that case swept under the rug and never heard from again?

It's as if the RIAA are afraid the truth would come out. That truth is individual music sharing that doesn't involve profit is allowable under copyright law. I'm not talking the spirit of the law (which is to promote the arts), but also the letter.
bohn
join:2006-05-30
Scarborough, ON

bohn to Matt3

to Matt3
The RIAA would be shot down in flames in court. These RIAA weasels sound like the kids that were picked on in school and are trying to get back at the evil world at any cost. I'd push their faces back in the schoolyard. God dam right.

Fluker
join:2005-04-07
West Lafayette, IN

Fluker to DreamWraith

to DreamWraith
I don't know, a semester suspension would be more expensive than forking over a grand to the Recording industry.

Although I'd rather that my money go towards improving schools than financing a fleet a BMW's on the west coast.