Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Purdue could be looking at a BIG RIAA lawsuit

»news.yahoo.com/s/ap/2007 ··· ng_music
Under federal law, universities that receive complaints about students illegally distributing copyrighted songs generally must act to stop repeat offenders or else the schools can be sued.

Purdue, which has received 1,068 complaints so far this year but only 37 in 2006, said it rarely even notifies students accused by the RIAA because it's too much trouble to track down alleged offenders. Purdue said its students aren't repeat offenders.

"In a sense, the (complaint) letter is asking us to pursue an investigation and as the service provider we don't see that as our role," spokesman Steve Tally said. "We are a leading technology school with thousands and thousands of curious and talented technology students."
Look out Purdue. This AP news story just put a big RIAA target on your chest.

Fluker
join:2005-04-07
West Lafayette, IN

1 edit

Fluker

Purdue's lan uses a very simple DHCP based system. Other campuses like IUPUI require installing software that mandates tracking and antivrus software so that they can be network nazis.

Anywhere on campus, rebooting your computer gets you a new IP most times and unsecured wireless points are standard issue.

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx to FFH5

to FFH5
Umm, as Purdue SAID, they DON'T keep track of who has what IP address at what time. How exactly are they supposed to 'warn' a student if they don't know which student it is?

Purdue has NOTHING to worry about. They have a SMART policy of NOT logging IP addresses to names, so everyone is effectively anonymous.

thender2
Glamour Profession
Premium Member
join:2004-05-16
Staten Island, NY

2 edits

thender2 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

»news.yahoo.com/s/ap/2007 ··· ng_music
Under federal law, universities that receive complaints about students illegally distributing copyrighted songs generally must act to stop repeat offenders or else the schools can be sued.

Purdue, which has received 1,068 complaints so far this year but only 37 in 2006, said it rarely even notifies students accused by the RIAA because it's too much trouble to track down alleged offenders. Purdue said its students aren't repeat offenders.

"In a sense, the (complaint) letter is asking us to pursue an investigation and as the service provider we don't see that as our role," spokesman Steve Tally said. "We are a leading technology school with thousands and thousands of curious and talented technology students."
Look out Purdue. This AP news story just put a big RIAA target on your chest.
What kind of nonsense analogies and bent truths of 'morally upright' fervor will we read today from our favorite corporate shill, the world will never know!
quote:
or else the schools can be sued
I can see the headlines. "RIAA shifts crosshairs from ghetto families to education facilities"

The RIAA is a leech - off its artists, off consumers, off of technology in general since their ideal world is one where technology is only for them, and not for us. They need to learn their role, or shrivel up and die.

tfrionli
Tom F.
join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY

tfrionli to karlmarx

to karlmarx
Your IP address is really not that important. Your MAC address
is! I will say no more.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to karlmarx

Premium Member

to karlmarx
said by karlmarx:

Umm, as Purdue SAID, they DON'T keep track of who has what IP address at what time. How exactly are they supposed to 'warn' a student if they don't know which student it is?

Purdue has NOTHING to worry about. They have a SMART policy of NOT logging IP addresses to names, so everyone is effectively anonymous.
Willful ignorance is never a defense under the law:

i want
@cmich.edu

i want

Anon

Re: Purdue could be looking at a BIG RIAA lawsuit- yeah right

My buddy is an idiot about computers. I would like to think of my self as god compared to him. low and behold, he goes to purdue freshman year with a new dell, 2 months later he cant stop talking about how hes got this, and that off dcc. no fair. i heard there was a way to proxy in to their network, but it didnt pan out and was disabled or something. freaking asians set him up good. damn their smart

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Purdue could be looking at a BIG RIAA lawsuit

That's nice. But if you read the article, they specifically said their students are not repeat offenders. And of course there is no way to prove otherwise. Same IP address does not mean it's the same person.

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

1 recommendation

karlmarx to FFH5

to FFH5
Willful ignorance? The fact that they don't keep logs isn't willful ignorance, it's just the way they do things. Of course, if you live in a twisted, sick worldview, where everyone MUST BE MONITORED (her bush), then yes, they are wrong. But luckily, the current regime hasn't been able to FORCE anyone to keep logs of their users. Hell, if the **AA's start to piss off Verizon or Comcast, I FULLY expect those megacorps to make a policy of NOT KEEPING LOGS.

The only 'cost' to the **AA's is a court filing. The cost to the ISP to provide that information is MUCH much higher. So, I'm sort of surprised our favorite corpate shill is in favor of keeping logs? Doesn't he realize that keeping logs will LOWER THE PROFIT of the megacorps? A tasty dilemma indeed.
karlmarx

karlmarx to tfrionli

to tfrionli
well, if the RIAA provides a MAC ADDRESS, then sure, they could trace the student. But an IP address ISN'T a mac address.
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
Give it up, no one supoprting riaa except you on this board. Unless RIAA can prove who was downloading they got no case. Good luck suing the school when school got no clue who was downloading