Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL
reply to FFH5

Re: Purdue could be looking at a BIG RIAA lawsuit

Umm, as Purdue SAID, they DON'T keep track of who has what IP address at what time. How exactly are they supposed to 'warn' a student if they don't know which student it is?

Purdue has NOTHING to worry about. They have a SMART policy of NOT logging IP addresses to names, so everyone is effectively anonymous.
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

tfrionli
Tom F.

join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY
Your IP address is really not that important. Your MAC address
is! I will say no more.
--
tfrionli

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to karlmarx
said by karlmarx:

Umm, as Purdue SAID, they DON'T keep track of who has what IP address at what time. How exactly are they supposed to 'warn' a student if they don't know which student it is?

Purdue has NOTHING to worry about. They have a SMART policy of NOT logging IP addresses to names, so everyone is effectively anonymous.
Willful ignorance is never a defense under the law:
Under federal law, universities that receive complaints about students illegally distributing copyrighted songs generally must act to stop repeat offenders or else the schools can be sued.
--
--
My BLOG
My Web Page

i want

@cmich.edu

Re: Purdue could be looking at a BIG RIAA lawsuit- yeah right

My buddy is an idiot about computers. I would like to think of my self as god compared to him. low and behold, he goes to purdue freshman year with a new dell, 2 months later he cant stop talking about how hes got this, and that off dcc. no fair. i heard there was a way to proxy in to their network, but it didnt pan out and was disabled or something. freaking asians set him up good. damn their smart

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN
reply to FFH5

Re: Purdue could be looking at a BIG RIAA lawsuit

That's nice. But if you read the article, they specifically said their students are not repeat offenders. And of course there is no way to prove otherwise. Same IP address does not mean it's the same person.

karlmarx

Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
Willful ignorance? The fact that they don't keep logs isn't willful ignorance, it's just the way they do things. Of course, if you live in a twisted, sick worldview, where everyone MUST BE MONITORED (her bush), then yes, they are wrong. But luckily, the current regime hasn't been able to FORCE anyone to keep logs of their users. Hell, if the **AA's start to piss off Verizon or Comcast, I FULLY expect those megacorps to make a policy of NOT KEEPING LOGS.

The only 'cost' to the **AA's is a court filing. The cost to the ISP to provide that information is MUCH much higher. So, I'm sort of surprised our favorite corpate shill is in favor of keeping logs? Doesn't he realize that keeping logs will LOWER THE PROFIT of the megacorps? A tasty dilemma indeed.
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

karlmarx

Chicago, IL
reply to tfrionli
well, if the RIAA provides a MAC ADDRESS, then sure, they could trace the student. But an IP address ISN'T a mac address.

Premium
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:2
reply to FFH5
Give it up, no one supoprting riaa except you on this board. Unless RIAA can prove who was downloading they got no case. Good luck suing the school when school got no clue who was downloading