share rss forum feed

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

wow new business venture:

OK this is where the savvy businessman pops in and says, "hey I know, i can make money off of this.. I'll open a Power Bar with some tables and a few managed power-strips.. I'll make millions!"

uh huh..

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

You're actually too late. A lot of places now have power strips along bars and under fixed-in-place tables. Some even have Ethernet jacks...

I always travel with a second, fully-charged laptop battery as well as the secondary battery. If necessary I can go 12 hours between charges.

The airport situation is getting out of hand though.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by RadioDoc:

You're actually too late. A lot of places now have power strips along bars and under fixed-in-place tables. Some even have Ethernet jacks...

I always travel with a second, fully-charged laptop battery as well as the secondary battery. If necessary I can go 12 hours between charges.

The airport situation is getting out of hand though.
I agree.

I almost laughed when I saw this in the Dallas Fort Worth Airport. Lets face it, the airport is going to do anything to charge the traveling consumer. I don't mind them charging for internet access since that is a luxury. Charging extra money for food? Ok, I get it. You are in a secure area and can't leave. Power is pushing it a little, especially at that price.
--
My Domain
Nightfall's Hockey and Life Journal

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to pokesph

Isn't the cost of basically all airport services paid for through the assorted taxes we all pay every year? Or are basic services also something we need to pay for everywhere now?

What I want to know is how the heck they regulate this; is there a lock over the power outlet or something? Seems pretty impossible to me to prevent joe-user from unplugging some miscellaneous equipment and plugging in his notebook.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to RadioDoc

This is the ticket

SOLARGIZER 12 BATT. CHARGE MAINT KIT. NEW COND. $36 EA.
Here is what you need. It will not directly power a lap top but it will sure recharge the batteries, can't beat the price.

You can get these here.....»www.murphyjunk.bizland.com/
on the left side scroll down to power supplies, then move down to the bottom of this section and you will find this item.

I can tell you Mike is a great person to deal with, great customer service. I am told his warehouse is a hamradio operator's heaven on earth. I ordered a Bird Trueline Model 43 Watt meter on a Monday and I had it in hand 4 days later,
--
The older I get the more I prefer the company of my dogs over that of man kind.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

OK. I'm a dead man. At least I will be once my wife finds out you tipped me off to that site...

(thanks)
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

jhboricua
ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-06
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit
reply to Transmaster

Except the moment I take that device out someone will scream "BOMB!!!" and I'll probably get jumped by a couple of TSA agents, beat up and THEN asked what it is.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

A Lead acid battery has liquid..........

xsiddalx

join:2005-03-11
Chicago, IL
reply to Nightfall

Re: wow new business venture:

Not a fan of paying for anything, however, you're willing to pay for internet access but not the power required? Food is more a necessity than power, but you want the latter for free?

Confused...

said by Nightfall:

Lets face it, the airport is going to do anything to charge the traveling consumer. I don't mind them charging for internet access since that is a luxury. Charging extra money for food? Ok, I get it. You are in a secure area and can't leave. Power is pushing it a little, especially at that price.

xsiddalx

Chicago, IL
reply to Nerdtalker

said by Nerdtalker:

Isn't the cost of basically all airport services paid for through the assorted taxes we all pay every year? Or are basic services also something we need to pay for everywhere now?
Since I have never payed a cent to walk into the door of an airport (let's not give them ideas), they aren't making a buck off me as an individual. Their business model is based on leasing space to airline, selling concessions and no doubt, some government subsidy.

said by Nerdtalker:

What I want to know is how the heck they regulate this; is there a lock over the power outlet or something? Seems pretty impossible to me to prevent joe-user from unplugging some miscellaneous equipment and plugging in his notebook.
Good question. I imagine they could ask you to unplug or leave, unless you were in an airline Wing and the airline was offering that as a benefit.

Do you believe it reasonable to plug in to an outlet at any establishment you visit? (Not intending sarcasm) One might want to plug in a laptop, another might bring their power tool rechargables.... Any difference?

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
reply to xsiddalx

Just wait until a breastfeeding mother wants a power outlet to run a breast pump and the airport wants $$$ for it.

Hell hath no fury like a lactating mother (like the one I'm married to!)
--
The funny thing about firemen...night and day they're always firemen
»www.stlfire.com

damonlab
Premium
join:2001-05-02
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

I have not been a fan of the airlines ever since the post 9-11 bailout money paid for with our tax dollars.

You can't have it both ways. Either charge extra for everything and accept no government money, or charge nothing extra and take all of the government cheese that you can get.

commodog
Premium
join:2000-02-03
Oxnard, CA
reply to Transmaster

Re: This is the ticket

we used to mount those on hummers to keep the batteries charged when i was on active duty

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to pokesph

Re: wow new business venture:

Such a venture probably wouldn't be allowed. If the airport already had such a business (either themselves or some other company), it probably has some type of no-compete clause. Already airports have such things with access points.
--
Go Colts

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK
reply to xsiddalx

said by xsiddalx:

Since I have never payed a cent to walk into the door of an airport (let's not give them ideas), they aren't making a buck off me as an individual. Their business model is based on leasing space to airline, selling concessions and no doubt, some government subsidy.
I take it you've never flown? If you have, you've paid the airport(s). That's what the Passenger Facility Charge is for.

They don't make me pay a Drinker Facility Charge at Starbucks just to get into the area where I can drink coffee, unlike the airport, where I must pay a fee should I want to access the part of the airport where the real business is done.

xsiddalx

Chicago, IL
reply to ff1324

said by ff1324:

Just wait until a breastfeeding mother wants a power outlet to run a breast pump and the airport wants $$$ for it.

Dare I ask, doesn't the baby suck hard enough?

xsiddalx

Chicago, IL
reply to wierdo

said by wierdo:

said by xsiddalx:

I take it you've never flown? If you have, you've paid the airport(s). That's what the Passenger Facility Charge is for.

They don't make me pay a Drinker Facility Charge at Starbucks just to get into the area where I can drink coffee, unlike the airport, where I must pay a fee should I want to access the part of the airport where the real business is done.
True, I've never flown. You caught me.

~rolling eyes~

Starbucks isn't in the business of providing public facilities, in fact they may deny public washrooms, as they do in chicago, however they do sell coffee and allow you to use their private facilities to drink it in.

Airports don't provide public facilities, they sell space to airlines. Without planes, I doubt there would be a use for "airports" as they are currently configured.

Did you have a real point?

Have you researched the "passenger facility charge"? Last I checked, that is a pass through charge from United, my preferred airline. Heck, maybe you'd feel good paying their local taxes as a pass through too!

Don't kid yourself, you aren't paying the airport, you are paying the airlines a pass-through "tax".

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
reply to xsiddalx

said by xsiddalx:

said by ff1324:

Dare I ask, doesn't the baby suck hard enough?
You're assuming the baby is present. Pumps are used to pump off milk for future use and the relief of the mother when the baby is unavailable, as is the case when mom goes back to work.
--
The funny thing about firemen...night and day they're always firemen
»www.stlfire.com

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK
reply to xsiddalx

This is a very late reply, and yes, United is "passing through" the charge, but where do you think it came from in the first place? Oh, yes, that's right, the airport! This is why when you have one or more connections, you pay more in PFC. Every time you land, you pay the fee. The charge is a charge to you, that the government requires that the airlines collect for the airports, rather than having turnstiles where you deposit your money upon deplaning.

You think the airlines get to keep the sales tax or the excise tax they charge you, either? Now I'm the one rolling my eyes.

The airlines pay the airports for what they use, we pay the airports for what we use. Plus they get government money to pay for things like runways (in addition to what they rake in from PFCs)