Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Already paid for!

I guess that airport facility fee that's already tacked onto the ticket doesn't factor into this? Most airports get more than a few dollars from you already. That tiny trickle of electricity for the laptop or cell phone is nothing. It's only a few pennies by a small percentage of passengers every once in a while.

Charging for that is just plain silly and greedy.

What's next, pay toilets?

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

said by Mospaw:

What's next, pay toilets?
If any place I go has pay toilets I'll just piss on the floor instead.
--
We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company.

-- Ernestine

GlenQuagmire
Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Mospaw

That might not be possible it all depends on local zoning law. Some require that you have public toilets.
--
Yes, its stuck in a windows this time.

GlenQuagmire
Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Jim Gurd

But you man have to tell everyone in your neighborhood that you are a pervert
--
Yes, its stuck in a windows this time.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by GlenQuagmire:

But you man have to tell everyone in your neighborhood that you are a pervert
Dude... you're QUAGMIRE.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Mospaw

But you don't already pay for "it"... Where on your ticket does it say you have the right to come in, sit down, and use the power outlets? You have the same rights as everyone else in that terminal.

You have the right to enter, use the facility to move from the door to the gate, the security, and the waiting area. You don't have the right to the power. That's the issue right there.. having the "right".. or "paid for it"... no, you haven't.

For those that want to post the power cost - knock it off already... it's nothing to do with that cost of power.

What's greedy are the few outlets that are there for airport use being used by laptop users who can't keep their battery charged. There are many people in the airport that I'm sure would love to plug in too... you think there is enough outlets for them?

This is a non-issue and silly.

I can tell alot of people here don't travel much. When people realize their travel costs more than the price of the ticket, then they will understand and realize that WiFi ain't cheap, hotels, ground transportation, tipping (which I'm sure many here don't based on opinions stated) it's just the cost to travel.. it's expensive and they are trying to recoup.

money making opportunity? Some say yes.. others will say it's a way to recoup.
--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

pure greed play. You even admitted the 'cost' of the power is for all intents and purposes neglible, so why are they charging for it? A notebook can use about 1 cent PER HOUR to charge, and my notebook takes about an hour to charge. I for one, would NEVER pay for the use of an outlet, and I travel a LOT. The airport is just plain greedy, there is nothing else to say about it. I ALWAYS share if somebody asks, in fact, my power strip has 5 outlets on it just so we can share. I've never run into a person not willing to 'share' an outlet, especially if you come prepared.
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

money making opportunity? Some say yes.. others will say it's a way to recoup.
Yes, the airline industry needs to recoup every spare nickel they can gouge out of consumers because the welfare checks they've been receiving from the feds at taxpayer expense in the decades before and every year following nine eleven just isn't enough.
--
The Toll

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to karlmarx

Hell froze over. I agree with you. This is pretty lame, and I'm actually moved to take one of my 3 outlet taps and throw it in my laptop bag just for the time I do take my laptop on the road.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to POB

said by POB:

Yes, the airline industry needs to recoup every spare nickel they can gauge out of consumers because the welfare checks they've been receiving from the feds at taxpayer expense in the decades before and every year following nine eleven just isn't enough.
And even with all that money they got from us, you'd think that running a bus to offload passengers from a plane that's been on the tarmac for over an hour but cannot take off wouldn't be such a tall order.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to karlmarx

Why? because they are in their right to do so.

This is absurd guys.

You're all acting like you're entitled to everything. What gets me the most is when people say things like "well, we've done it for so long, why charge now?" or "it doesn't cost them that much" or "it makes no sense"..

The bottom line is where does it say things have to be fair and add up? Where does it say that if they can do something for a penny or two that they should give it away? Mind if I come over to your place and plug in my laptop? How about my Tv? It only takes a few cents to run too.. Oh hell.. in one month, why not plug in my PC as well, it's just a buck. Multiply that by everyone doing it.

Besides, it needs no justification... they are with in their rights. I, though, unlike others, don't care to justify my way into things to claim rights to something I know damn well I don't have.

I can say that the luggage carts are more than paid for so why should I shell out the $3 for one? After all, they are LONG paid for, right?

Until something in our laws and in our constitution states that things in life are to be "fair" then people need to stop dictating and reasoning out why they have rights where they don't exist and never have in the first place.

I have a much stronger opinion about people who think this way, but the moderators would have a field day with my post - rightfully so too.

By the way - there are people willing to pay these fees.. why? They travel all the time and realize it's part of the whole game. Then there are people who don't think they should pay into these fees. Money has to come from somewhere, so, since I travel on business quite frequently and pay these fees, you people that haven't have been taking free rides on us for long enough.. how's that? Just like with broadband. I was in the crowd of early adopters who paid the $90 a month for a 256k line so they could build up the money so that you guys can bitch about your $19.99 3mb connections today. You guys should really watch what you say sometimes... many of you who don't feel you need to pay are usually viewed as free loaders to those that do pay.
--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to pnh102

That has NOTHING to do with the airport itself.. that is up to the airlines.

Do you not understand how the airport systems work? and how the terminal is separated from the airlines? I'm not being an ass, I'm being serious. Because, I fell if you knew that, you'd know it's the airlines fault, NOT the airport's for leaving people on planes. And, yes, I'm taking into account you said the "industry"... you can't make a blanket statement like you did when they are two different entities.

However, I'm in agreement with you on the tarmac situation - that was completely wrong to leave people there for so long.
--

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to POB

Care to rethink that? ... you should. You really should learn about how the airlines work. More so that the precious broadband that people think is a necessity, the airline industry is FAR more important, is very fragile, and the blame isn't with the government or the airlines.

Try those mechanics and the unions who feel they need $80 an hour to turn a bolt... or a flight attendant who needs to make what they do to serve coffee and treat you badly. And then there is the customer that is driving the cost of an airline ticket far below that of what it should be because they can get a better deal.

What do you want? a national air line? Want a model of a national airline? Check out Russia. AeroFLOP was great!

The industry is what it is and if you expect it to ever be perfect, it won't. One place it can start is by people paying a reasonable fare for their tickets.
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

That has NOTHING to do with the airport itself.. that is up to the airlines.
I'm aware of the distinction between an airline and an airport. My post was in the context of discussing airlines receiving taxpayer money and still treating passengers like crap. I did not mention the airport at all with regards to loading and unloading passengers onto and off of airplanes.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

Care to rethink that? ... you should. You really should learn about how the airlines work. More so that the precious broadband that people think is a necessity, the airline industry is FAR more important, is very fragile, and the blame isn't with the government or the airlines.

I'm aware of the distinction between airlines and airports, but thx for assuming I'm an idiot.

said by fiberguy:

Try those mechanics and the unions who feel they need $80 an hour to turn a bolt... or a flight attendant who needs to make what they do to serve coffee and treat you badly. And then there is the customer that is driving the cost of an airline ticket far below that of what it should be because they can get a better deal.
Right. Because paying people over minimum wage is such a tremendous burden and airline travel safety is really something we should all be looking for the lowest price on. Would you rather have a $7.00/hr. disgruntled fuckwit performing maintenance on the aircraft, or would you like a professional doing the work? Personally, I'm happy with professional mechanics of the non-disgruntled variety.

said by fiberguy:

What do you want? a national air line? Want a model of a national airline? Check out Russia. AeroFLOP was great!
National airline not necessary. How about one that doesn't beg for federal handouts while simultaneously screwing over consumers by nickel/diming them to death and eliminating meals/pillows and otherwise crams people into tiny, confined places like cattle.
--
The Toll

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

This is a non-issue and silly.
I agree completely!

Unfortunately, some airports have decided to make it an issue. Until they started charging for power or limiting access to plugs for silly reasons, the system sort of worked, unless someone was being a pig.

Let's discount the cost of power entirely, since it's negligible anyway. It comes down to access to a power outlet, which is a finite resource. Some people are pigs about it, as mentioned. Others are smart and bring along extenders and strips to help share the resource.

Entitlement is probably too strong a word, but reasonable expectation isn't. You're right, I'm not entitled to free power in any public area in the same way I'm not entitled to saddle up to your house and plug in (without permission). However, I think it's reasonable to expect that in a more or less captive area, like an airport, where I am paying a facility charge, where they already have resources like electricity plugs, that I be allowed the reasonable use of one without further charge, inconvenience or silly scrutiny by security guys.

So someone figured out how to squeeze and inconvenience travelers a bit more. Air travel in the US (and abroad) is pretty crappy to being with. This just adds another minor dimension to it.

With that said, if I am traveling (and I travel rather frequently) and nothing else is available, I will resentfully pay for an electrical plug to charge something if I need one.

I wonder what the EULA will look like at these kiosks!

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to POB

MM,

I didn't assume you were an idiot.. I pointed it out. You made a comment that placed blame where it absolutely didn't belong and you made a mis-statement. So, you either lied or you just don't know. YOU said you went with idiot.

As for pay and minimum wage - really, that doesn't dignify a response - but here's one anyway. I said they didn't deserve $80 an hour, and they don't. But, PLEASE tell me where I said $7 an hour....! Is $80 an hour deserved for turning a wrench? NO.. hell no. $35? sure.. $80? You do know that $80 wasn't even enough for the north west mechanics don't you? Or do you not keep up? They wanted even more. As for safety? Want to know about safety? How about a few mechanics that specifically booby trapped a few planes before they went on strike? Childish and in your best interest for safety. They don't care about your safety, they care about more money. If they can't make it on $80 an hour, then THEY have the problem.

Federal hand outs? When the US government grounded the planes on 9/11, that was a handout I will be more than happy to pay taxes too.

It's VERY clear you don't travel much nor know what you are talking about AT-ALL!

The airline industry is damn near a utility and VERY vital to the stability of this economy - or did you NOT catch that on 9/11 when travel slowed way down and it killed many businesses??

Don't smug me when you clearly have no clue.
--

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to pnh102

How exactly are you treated like "crap".... because you don't get 1st class treatment for the price of coach?

Until you understand how the airlines work and the economics behind them, then don't come here talking about being treated like crap - or simply don't travel.

I fly almost every other week - I don't feel like I'm treated by crap. Considering the huge volume of passengers that fly each day, week, month, year... I really think your standards are set higher than you have the right to... you want first class? pay for it like others do. Otherwise, you're not treated like crap.
--