All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Guru5
join:2005-12-01
Canada

Guru5 to moonpuppy

to moonpuppy

Re: Our society has become dependent on electricity.....

And the engineers are regarding electricity as the next gen source for automobiles.

Let's do easy things first; change all that light bulbs in your houses to fluorescent light bulbs. They really beat that yellowish light that reminds you of your own bathroom or some household in the 50's or 60's. Flourescents are a lot more efficient in both costs/energy use.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

1 recommendation

moonpuppy (banned)

said by Guru5:

And the engineers are regarding electricity as the next gen source for automobiles.
Yeah, so? Two things wrong with that statement of yours.

1. Even though there are kits that allow people to charge up those hybrid electric cars off of household power, the car companies don't want it. They sold their hybrids off the premise that you never have to plug it in and those kits are around $10,000.

2. No one thought about the recycling costs when those batteries have to be replaced in about 8 years. Not to mention the cost of new batteries.
said by Guru5:

Let's do easy things first; change all that light bulbs in your houses to fluorescent light bulbs. They really beat that yellowish light that reminds you of your own bathroom or some household in the 50's or 60's. Flourescents are a lot more efficient in both costs/energy use.
Lots of people are going to be upset when those fluorescent lights are no longer compatible with their dimmer switches.
claco
join:2002-09-29
Tallmadge, OH

claco

said by moonpuppy:

Lots of people are going to be upset when those fluorescent lights are no longer compatible with their dimmer switches.
Or, they could have read the packaging, and purchased dimmer-compatible CFLs.

c0de8
join:2004-10-14
Richmond, VA

c0de8 to Guru5

to Guru5
Apparently you dont know how horrible fluorescent light makes you look, have you ever tried to set the mood with some fluorescent light?

Give me incadescent any day! I realize it uses more power, but thats why i have dimmers.

How about LED lighting? I wonder if that is going to come about at all, or is it too expecive to produce? does it use more or less power?

eww, or even better, use that new mesh oled stuff on your celing, talk about tripping!

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:

Even though there are kits that allow people to charge up those hybrid electric cars off of household power, the car companies don't want it.
Not to mention the fact that electrical generation is amongst the United States' most polluting of industries.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ

PhoenixAZ to c0de8

Premium Member

to c0de8
said by c0de8:

Apparently you dont know how horrible fluorescent light makes you look, have you ever tried to set the mood with some fluorescent light?

Give me incadescent any day! I realize it uses more power, but thats why i have dimmers.

How about LED lighting? I wonder if that is going to come about at all, or is it too expecive to produce? does it use more or less power?

eww, or even better, use that new mesh oled stuff on your celing, talk about tripping!
LEDs are even brigher! Ouch to my eyes, never stare directly into the light

Fatal Vector
join:2005-11-26

Fatal Vector

"Apparently you dont know how horrible fluorescent light makes you look, have you ever tried to set the mood with some fluorescent light? "

Use the "sunlight" or "daylight" bulbs. Much better light overall. Considering you get the same amount of light for 1/4 the electric used (EG: a 60 Watt flourescent uses only 15 watts), never mind that you dont have all that waste heat for your AC to deal with in summer and they last 3 or 4 times longer.

All I know is that they knock the stuffing out of my electric bill each month, especially since I run a few outside security lights all night.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by moonpuppy:

Even though there are kits that allow people to charge up those hybrid electric cars off of household power, the car companies don't want it.
Not to mention the fact that electrical generation is amongst the United States' most polluting of industries.
I'd really like to see a VALID study on electrical use and alternative fuels.

Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles were the rage with domestic automakers BUT the cost to get hydrogen from natural gas was high not only in price but the amount of electricity needed to do it. Nuclear submarines "crack" seawater to get oxygen while underwater (and vents the waste hydrogen) but they have a nuclear reactor to make that happen.

Someone once mentioned that if everyone converted to electric cars, the pollution would be greater because of all the extra electrical generation plants needed to keep up with demand.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

The Wall Street Journal had an op-ed about the effects of California's policy of allowing hybrid cars to use the HOV lanes. Apparently the price of hybrid vehicles got to be so high that they would need to be drive for at least half a million miles before any savings against the price of gasoline would be realized.
xsiddalx
join:2005-03-11
Chicago, IL

xsiddalx to Guru5

to Guru5
said by Guru5:

More efficient, but we need to get over the mercury issue.

Pick your evil.
xsiddalx

xsiddalx to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by moonpuppy:

The Wall Street Journal had an op-ed about the effects of California's policy of allowing hybrid cars to use the HOV lanes. Apparently the price of hybrid vehicles got to be so high that they would need to be drive for at least half a million miles before any savings against the price of gasoline would be realized.
It could also be argued that the government created a demand for HOV lanes, by creating HOV lanes. If HOV lanes were faster than the rest of the lanes, people certainly factored the use of HOV lanes into their purchase "price" decisions.

That article confuses the TOTAL cost of the vehicle with the cost of the fuel required to power it. Vehicle price encompasses more than the sum of it's parts.

WSJ OP-EDs are a scant bit higher on the truthiness mark than fox news. They are, after all, OP-EDs.

Disclaimer: I DO subscribe to WSJ