My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2 to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller

Re: holy outages batman!

I agree! They want to run THEIR laptop on plug power so they can spare their battery for the flight.

The outlets aren't there for customer use. They are there for cleaners who vacuum and other terminal personnel. However, you'll get (and some already have) calling BS on this power bar thing in airports and that they think that the power should be free since it's there.

Since power isn't free at home, why should it be elsewhere? Sure, it's just a laptop, but now add up all the laptop users at all times and how much is it? Besides, when you purchase an airline ticket, you don't purchase the rights to the building. They charge for WiFi, they have a service for charing cell phones which if you ask me is kinda cool. How many time has someone forgotten their charger cable? It happens or they wouldn't have this box.

Traveling has never been cheap. It costs alot to run these airports. I will be honest, it's not the business traveler that complains about this stuff because they're used to it and it's nothing new.. it's the casual traveler that doesn't like it.

I fly out today. I don't like to pay these small fees like $3 for a cart I will push for 100 feet to get my luggage moved, but it's life. I fly today... to take care of the issue of laptop battery life, I just had overnighted a 12 cell 6 hour battery.. that along with my 6 cell 3 hour, I will be fine and don't have to worry about the power outlets.

But one final note.. for those that want free power,... why? because it's there? There are coffee machines all around the place too... should that be a self serve drink for free? no difference.

SimbaTLK1
Rawrrr
join:2001-09-07
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

SimbaTLK1

said by fiberguy2:

Since power isn't free at home, why should it be elsewhere?
Do you pay for a drink at the water fountain at the airport too? Water costs money too you know...
said by fiberguy2:

They charge for WiFi
Not all of them. The good majority of the airports i've been to have had free wifi.

Sorry, IMO charging to plug your laptop into a wall outlet is nothing more than another way to make a buck.

--Matt
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
So there should be a charge to use the bathroom, or have a roof over your head at the airport? How about a non-strip search fee? What about air, maybe they shouldnt heat or cool, and you can rent a heated/cooled golf cart to move you around, or rent a heated/cooled box to sit in? What about light? What about a fee to rent "airport" shoes so you dont get the floor dirty? And a muzzle so you dont spit or chew gum?
xsiddalx
join:2005-03-11
Chicago, IL

xsiddalx

Wow! Are you really serious? Just in case you are...
said by patcat88:

So there should be a charge to use the bathroom, or have a roof over your head at the airport?
To the former, why not? If the airports were so evil, they could certainly charge a very nice price for facilities after you down that taco bell special. How much would you be willing to spend to not embarass yourself? Count public bathrooms as a blessing

If a roof could be coupled to each individual...
said by patcat88:

How about a non-strip search fee?
When they can figure out a way to make strip searches mandatory...duh..
said by patcat88:

What about air, maybe they shouldnt heat or cool, and you can rent a heated/cooled golf cart to move you around, or rent a heated/cooled box to sit in?
Excellent idea. Unfortunately, heating and cooling is a positive externality to the traveler...they have to provide those employees with a safe working environment.
said by patcat88:

What about light?
See above.
said by patcat88:

What about a fee to rent "airport" shoes so you dont get the floor dirty?
If it were cheaper, they would. Bowling alleys do this frequently enough (so do us people that hire maids - albeit we just fire them if they don't).
said by patcat88:

And a muzzle so you dont spit or chew gum?
Nah..easier to confiscate gum at the door and spitting is already generally illegal if you're caught doing it and someone wants to dig our archaic laws.

However, how does any of the above imply you have a right to power?
patcat88
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Same as we get all the above for free with a airport (you can replace human workers with kiosks and robots for most tasks, for security searching, you can use those new radar/see you private parts MRI/xray machines, with the operators enclosed in lighted, HVACed, roofed rooms, on the note of employees in buildings, if they need to remove and areast you because your angry at this nickle and diming, that can be free, the other people can bear the cost. Basically, now the airport has 2 zones, a premium all inclusive building with all amenities but for major major money, but every one else (or if you a la carte) has to deal with sandy/muddy field with chainlink electrified fences and barb wire for diving areas, employees work inside buildings or are outsourced to India).
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to SimbaTLK1

Premium Member

to SimbaTLK1
Just like some people to think all examples are equal. Water is a bodily necessity and deemed necessary for health and wellness. Power isn't... please.. really, bring something to the table that's worth talking about.

EVERYONE who opposes always tries to being up a comparison as if it's valid. I don't care if water is free, or the air is free or what... this is power, it's their building and if they want to charge for it, so be it.

By the way, just got through the airport today. both MSP and SFO.. while they both have power centers, they also still have outlets and people were plugged in. (Most likely the entitled who can't spare up a buck)

And please... enlighten us on where the free wifi is and if you're going to make that claim, back it up. I travel all over the country and YET to see a free wifi airport. They've all been T Mobile, or others.
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
Grow up.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

And please... enlighten us on where the free wifi is and if you're going to make that claim, back it up. I travel all over the country and YET to see a free wifi airport. They've all been T Mobile, or others.
JetBlue terminal 6, JFK airport.
all of Long Beach Airport.

»help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CG ··· bj(2958)

I love JetBlue.

SimbaTLK1
Rawrrr
Pittsburgh, PA

SimbaTLK1 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

And please... enlighten us on where the free wifi is and if you're going to make that claim, back it up.
Pittsburgh International, Myrtle Beach, and Ft. Lauderdale just to name a few.

--Matt

Westofhere
join:2005-04-07
West Coast

Westofhere to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
Tucson.
patcat88
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Grow up.
Terrorist! I defend AMERICA@!@@!@@!!!
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to SimbaTLK1

Premium Member

to SimbaTLK1
name some more.. It still doesn't sound like a good majority to me. I travel quite a bit.. have been in every state and in most all major cities so far and I don't see free wifi that often.

SimbaTLK1
Rawrrr
Pittsburgh, PA

SimbaTLK1

said by fiberguy2:

name some more..
Here's a whole list of them : »www.wififreespot.com/air ··· ort.html

-Matt