share rss forum feed

xsiddalx

join:2005-03-11
Chicago, IL
reply to wierdo

Re: wow new business venture:

said by wierdo:

said by xsiddalx:

Since I have never payed a cent to walk into the door of an airport (let's not give them ideas), they aren't making a buck off me as an individual. Their business model is based on leasing space to airline, selling concessions and no doubt, some government subsidy.
I take it you've never flown? If you have, you've paid the airport(s). That's what the Passenger Facility Charge is for.

They don't make me pay a Drinker Facility Charge at Starbucks just to get into the area where I can drink coffee, unlike the airport, where I must pay a fee should I want to access the part of the airport where the real business is done.
True, I've never flown. You caught me.

~rolling eyes~

Starbucks isn't in the business of providing public facilities, in fact they may deny public washrooms, as they do in chicago, however they do sell coffee and allow you to use their private facilities to drink it in.

Airports don't provide public facilities, they sell space to airlines. Without planes, I doubt there would be a use for "airports" as they are currently configured.

Did you have a real point?

Have you researched the "passenger facility charge"? Last I checked, that is a pass through charge from United, my preferred airline. Heck, maybe you'd feel good paying their local taxes as a pass through too!

Don't kid yourself, you aren't paying the airport, you are paying the airlines a pass-through "tax".

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK

This is a very late reply, and yes, United is "passing through" the charge, but where do you think it came from in the first place? Oh, yes, that's right, the airport! This is why when you have one or more connections, you pay more in PFC. Every time you land, you pay the fee. The charge is a charge to you, that the government requires that the airlines collect for the airports, rather than having turnstiles where you deposit your money upon deplaning.

You think the airlines get to keep the sales tax or the excise tax they charge you, either? Now I'm the one rolling my eyes.

The airlines pay the airports for what they use, we pay the airports for what we use. Plus they get government money to pay for things like runways (in addition to what they rake in from PFCs)