psicop
More human than human
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Australia

psicop

Premium Member

Mailwasher free or similar option

I am going to use this software after having spam going past my Thunderbird filter. I was very surprised of this thing to happen.

Now, question is I read somewhere online that version 2 online supports one e-mail client, whereas v. 1 does support multiple accounts. I got the last freeware version link (»www.321download.com/Last ··· ge2.html) which I hope is the one that supports various e-mail addresses. Is this correct?

If not I am open for other free alternatives as long as they are easy to configure.

Thx in advance.

Puerco
join:2003-03-06
Amsterdam

1 edit

Puerco

[joke] you may want to consider taking a secretary, looks nice on your desk too [/joke]
Seriously, I'd like to know too, mailwasher is a great program but I prefer something free.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
I know you're asking for a free program, but you seriously might want to consider Mailwasher Pro. I've had it for a number of years, it works very well, and the updates are free. It's been worth the money I paid for it, and is especially helpful in keeping those time-sensitive free email accounts active.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
I'm using Magic Mail Monitor and like it very much and it is free.
See link: »sourceforge.net/projects/mmm3/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
Popcorn is also free and works well!

»www.ultrafunk.com/produc ··· popcorn/

pleekmo
Triptoe Through The Tulips
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Manchester, CT

pleekmo to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
said by psicop:

I got the last freeware version link (»www.321download.com/Last ··· ge2.html) which I hope is the one that supports various e-mail addresses.
This is indeed the last freeware version of Mailwasher which supports multiple e-mail accounts. It's what I use here.

It's rather feature-deprived, but it does exactly what I want it to do: check multiple accounts so I can read the subjects and possibly the body to be able to delete the spam at the server level rather than allow it to invade my e-mail client of choice.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

Buddel to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
I've been using PopMan for a long time and like it. More info here: »www.ch-software.de/popman/

psicop
More human than human
Premium Member
Australia

psicop

Premium Member

Nice, thx for all your replies. I'll be choosing amongst all the options posted in here.

Cheers.

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
Heartily agree with DTS. Spend the few bucks for MW Pro. I've had it for a few years and I get NO SPAM ever to any of my in boxes.
nightfishing
join:2002-06-20

nightfishing

I use MW Pro+POPFile and have for a few years and have no reason to change. POPFile is 99.8% accurate and I use MW filters to auto delete everything (MWs whitelist keeps me safe from losing anything legitimate.)

For me it's as important not to have to "see" any of the spam as it is to filter it.

As always, I keep permanent email addy's "safe" and out of the spammers hands and use temp/throwaway addy's for any and all web forms.

Gmail addy's with POP access are golden

psicop
More human than human
Premium Member
Australia

psicop

Premium Member

One more thing. As I am already using Thunderbird, is it possible to incorporate a spam filter of this kind? I don't see it how it can be done.

If possible how do I configure it in TB?

Thx.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
How many spam mails are you talking about here getting through in Tb?

No filters are 100% full proof and Tb filters work much better over time using the training feature.

Maybe 1 of every 100 emails I receive through Tb is not marked as Spam correctly and I have to:

Right-click "Mark As Junk" and it is gone plus my Tb spam filter learned something new.

Edit*

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

I agree wtih Grail Knight See Profile. Over time Thunderbird's spam filter is better than Mailwasher. I scrapped MW when I went Linux and I haven't really missed it.
Also, Thunderbird has some cool extensions to report spam e-mails, but I have no idea if they are effective or not.
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

1 edit

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

said by Maxo:

I agree with Grail Knight See Profile. Over time Thunderbird's spam filter is better than Mailwasher. I scrapped MW when I went Linux and I haven't really missed it.
I have been re-testing TB recently, and in a non-commercial setting, with little image UCE, it's B-Filter (trained with lots of UCE saved just for such occasions) has been great. Do you know how TB does with tons of image UCE (little to no text, spamvert contained in an image)? Thanks.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

The only thing I can attest to is that it filters most all SPAM very successfully for me. I have not yet had a false-positive (that I know of.) I don't know much about how it works. I do have images turned off by default, so I don't even see them if I do see the SPAM.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

to Bobby_Peru
I have had very good success with Tb moving UCE to the trash folder without it hitting my inbox. This is how I like to deal with spam just so I can check out the headers real quick before deletion.

Mail that has been marked as SPAM that is not is few and far between and I just let Tb know it is not junk. No issues after that with those companies there were initially marked as junk.
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
Thanks Maxo. It's been great for me too, but thankfully, none of the accounts that I am testing it on receive much, it any, of the floods of "Image" crap that other accounts I deal with do, and those accounts are not really "test trial" friendly situations, hence the question.... Thanks again for your reply!
Bobby_Peru

Bobby_Peru to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
Thanks Grail Knight See Profile for your reply. During this testing, I have had TB move what it thinks is UCE to it's "JUNK" folders 1st, but I will be reseting it to go straight to "TRASH".

Mail from new sources has occasionally FPed, but like you say, once marked as Not Junk, it handles subsequent missives just fine.

It's the floods of image-only (or image with just enough text to try to blow through filters) that some other accounts are plagued with that I wish I knew how TB handles for others (though I guess not enough to move me to hike over to Mozilla's TB forums in quite some time.)

Since Eudora is, and has been, my primary email client (when ever possible), and TB is evolving so well, it will be great to see the results of their nuptials, and consummation!

Thanks again for your reply!

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Your welcome.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to psicop

to psicop
I've been using the spamato plugin & I like it.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to psicop

MVM

to psicop
I've setup three levels of email spam filtering. Two on the server side and one local.

1. My ISP uses Barracuda which offers very robust spam/virus filtering.

2. I forward all my email to my Gmail account which does further spam/virus filtering.

3. Then I run Popfile as a local proxy to filter the small amount of spam that gets through.

Success is close to 100%. Cost is $0.

somehow
@cptelecom.net

somehow to psicop

Anon

to psicop
I use the last free version of Mailwasher and it rocks.

Get it!!

psicop
More human than human
Premium Member
Australia

psicop to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
GrailKnight, I only got 1 single spam but for me THAT'S ENOUGH!

Jmorlan, I'll try Popfile but I wonder if it would work between Gmail and Thunderbird.

Ta.
psicop

psicop

Premium Member

Talon... I'll give Spamato a go since it looks good. Also read in their website that's more powerful than TB's spam filter (and it requires disabling it to get it working). Pity it's in Beta stage. Any bugs??

Thx.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
You will be hard pressed to find anything that is 100% effective unless you plan on not receiving email.

banditz71
Premium Member
join:2001-04-03
Aubrey, TX

banditz71 to psicop

Premium Member

to psicop
Thunderbird's spam filter has been working GREAT for me. Only Gmail seems to do better (a little).

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to psicop

MVM

to psicop
said by psicop:

Jmorlan, I'll try Popfile but I wonder if it would work between Gmail and Thunderbird.
There is no reason I can think of that would prevent Popfile from working between Gmail and Thunderbird. Popfile is actually a local POP3 server, so it works with any email client.

There's a few tricks to the setup. E.g. you need to set SSL in Popfile and disable it in Thunderbird. Then you point Thunderbird to 127.0.0.1 and your old username becomes:

pop.gmail.com:995:username@gmail.com:ssl

But it is a client-side solution. It doesn't prevent spam from getting through. Instead, it just filters it locally. Also it doesn't work right out of the box. It requires training, so I'm not sure it would be any better than the built-in spam filter in Thunderbird.

Also, 100% accurate spam filtering can be approached but never achieved, no matter what solutions you use. Currently Popfile is reporting 99.73% accuracy on my system.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

kingb71 to psicop

to psicop
said by psicop:

Talon... I'll give Spamato a go since it looks good. Also read in their website that's more powerful than TB's spam filter (and it requires disabling it to get it working). Pity it's in Beta stage. Any bugs??Thx.
no not really.It's a java application & that can suck up some system resources & it takes a while to load. My only issue with it is, if you filter your mail by account into different folders instead of keeping them all in the global inbox, or have a seperate global inbox per account it doesn't pick up the spam, even then, you just select them manually, it's no big deal. Apparently that will be fixed down the road.