spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fios Curious

@verizon.net

Earthlink 6.0 mbps DSL vs. 5mbps Verizon FIOS?

So I currently have 3mbps Earthlink DSL. My area just came online for Verizon FIOS and for the same price I can have 5mbps FIOS.

Earthlink currently says that their DSL lines are up to 6mbps for the same price as I'm paying now.

So obviously I need to do something, but the question is...what?

Should I call up Earthlink and switch to a 6mbps DSL line or should I cancel altogether and go to 5mbps FIOS?

mrtomallen

join:2007-01-31
Valrico, FL
Reviews:
·Vestalink
I would pick Fios over Earthlink. You will probably actually get over 5 mbps with Fios and Lower the 6 mbps with Earthlink so the download speed will be really close. I would also venture a guess that Earthlink doesn't offer the upload speed of 2 mbps.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to Fios Curious
said by Fios Curious :

Earthlink currently says that their DSL lines are up to 6mbps for the same price as I'm paying now.
The potential gotcha with DSL speed is the "up to" part. The potential speed is dependent on your distance from the CO. FIOS speed offerings have no such limitations.

dare99me

join:2005-11-25
Red Bank, NJ
Check to see if your under a year contract with earthlink, an early termination might apply if you cancel before your term is up. I myself would go with Fios because of a straight fiber connection. Also if something goes wrong with your Earhlink DSl, you have to call them, who will put a ticket into Verizon anyway to check you DSL line. You might as well just go with Verizon. get rid of the Middle man.
Good luck

Fios Curious

@verizon.net
reply to Fios Curious
Ok... I'll admit I've been wanting to find an excuse to go with FIOS anyway, though as a principled matter I've been avoiding Verizon.

However, as one of you pointed out, I'm running on a Earthlink lease of Verizon in the first place, so...there's that. Principle undermined.

And no, I'm not under any current contract with Earthlink. I've been a customer of theirs for years now, so whatever contract I may have had expired long ago.

One last question: if I do decide to go with the 5mbps download, and I want to go to the 15mbps speed later, are we talking about some sort of new install or some kind of crazy workaround? Because when I went from 1.5 to 3.0 with Earthlink, my dsl was down for days, and I ended up having to come back in as a new customer. I'd really hope to avoid that kind of administrative hassle in the future.

The problem is, aside from that, I really like Earthlink. And I like the included dialup for when I go on vacation. Though, truth be told, I haven't used it in over a year as everywhere I go has wireless these days.

All righty, then. Looks like we've got a new FIOS customer. Thanks for the input, all. Anybody else care to weigh in? I'm certainly not doing anything until Monday.

mrtomallen

join:2007-01-31
Valrico, FL
Reviews:
·Vestalink
reply to Fios Curious
If you decide to increase your speed, the billing dept just makes the change to your account and you're upgraded within a couple hour automatically. I live in Tampa and we just got our download speeds increased from 15/2 to 20/5. I called them to find out what I needed to do to get the upgrade and the billing dept took care of it over the phone. They said it would take a couple hours but the speed increase was almost immediate.

jonez
Got Anime?
Premium
join:2004-09-24
Stow, MA
reply to Fios Curious
even though it seems you've already decided to make the move, or are leaning towards it, i figured i'd give my two cents as well.

Fiberoptics is more reliable, isn't affected by weather and has much more capacity (and room for expansion) than dsl does. Not to mention that if you ever wanted a new tv service, verizon will probably be offering that within a reasonable amount of time, if not already.
--
My diet is highly composed of FIBER!
Massachusetts FIOS Map

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
kudos:1
reply to Fios Curious
While I am not (yet) a FiOS customer, my kid is (5/2 service, Downingtown, PA area). I have, easily 50+ times, checked her D/U speeds, over the past year, and they have consistently measured 5.15 Mbps / 1.85 Mbps, never anything different.

My DSL speeds (3000/768 service) vary between 2.00 to 2.88 Mbps Down and usually run 700 to 740 Kpbs Up. My phone line occasionally gets noisy and the modem disconnects. Sometimes it renegotiates a 1500/768 when it re-synchs - that's a PITA.

If it were available here, now, I'd switch to FiOS at the drop of a hat.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

sozekizer

join:2002-07-16
Fort Worth, TX
i'm jealous of all you fios subscribers i'm in sbc/att territory w/ no hope of a fttp service.
at any rate, yes, you should jump to fios if at all possible. no, no major installs will take place if you decide to increase the speed..the fios/encore billing dept pushes the order out and it usually is only a couple-3 hours before the increase has completed. if you stick w/ dsl, you should place a change ISP order w/ VZ to get it taken care of.

dare99me

join:2005-11-25
Red Bank, NJ
reply to Rattler
If your line is noisy, you should get the TELCO to check out that quality of the line, Because if it's making noise due to a ground on the line or a short ckt, that's why your speed keeps going up in down. Call Verizon repair, not verizon online, tel them you hear noise on the line, they'll send a tech out .

tiger102

join:2007-01-05
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Fios Curious
I would definitely go with FIOS and give it a try. Many are happy with it. Unlike other companies.

fios user

@verizon.net
reply to jonez
said by jonez:

Fiberoptics is more reliable, isn't affected by weather
I'd argue the point that you make about the weather...I've lost telephone service once because of downed telephone poles.

Plus, there's the issue of the BBU/loss of service after the battery goes dead. Then again, who doesn't have a cell phone these days?

That being said, I agree with the other responses in the thread - get it. 2Mbit upload is way too hard to pass up.

DDude26

join:2007-01-11
Manville, NJ
said by fios user :

said by jonez:

Fiberoptics is more reliable, isn't affected by weather
I'd argue the point that you make about the weather...I've lost telephone service once because of downed telephone poles.

Plus, there's the issue of the BBU/loss of service after the battery goes dead. Then again, who doesn't have a cell phone these days?

That being said, I agree with the other responses in the thread - get it. 2Mbit upload is way too hard to pass up.
i saw a car crash into a electric co. pole with fios on it as well. the pole snapped in half and all of the wires were everywhere but except for one.... guess who? Verizon FIOS... so proof right there.

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Proof of what?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits
reply to Fios Curious
its proof of luck. if anything survives a snapped pole, everything should. i really dont think glass stretches any more than anything else.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Fios Curious
you might want to consider hanging on to your earthlink until after the fios is installed. that way you can have fiber and keep your copper line. keep in mind once you go fiber you cant go back to earthlink dsl. what that leaves you with is after fiber gets established and IF they raise the rates you wont be able to get any dsl again.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Fios Curious
5mbit package will soon be 10mbit everywhere... So I would go with that if you really don't wanna pay the small extra for the 15 mbit.

--
null

Fios Curious

@verizon.net
Ok, I'm set for a Monday install. (Remember how I said I wasn't going to do anything before Monday? Yeah, that didn't work out.)

At any rate, I did deduce that once my landline was transferred over to FIOS that that would be the end of my DSL, so I'm hoping we can keep the copper for a bit. I have Vonage for voice anyway, so the copper line is only being used by my alarm panel and the incoming DSL right now. I'd prefer to keep it that way until I'm sure I'm happy with the FIOS.

I read in the FIOS FAQ on this site, however, that establishing FIOS is the automatic end of the copper and any associated DSL, so maybe I can avoid that if I try. I don't know why it has to be, and I also don't think that there's FIOS voice right now anyway in my area. So they may have to keep the copper. We'll see. If there's one thing I can count on Verizon for, it's that this install will not go off hitch-free.

rratss

join:2004-07-22
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Fios Curious
aside from bandwidth, FIOS also has a 5-10ms latency advantage over DSL and cable.

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Fios Curious
said by Fios Curious :

I also don't think that there's FIOS voice right now anyway in my area. So they may have to keep the copper.
If there's FiOS, then there's FiOS voice. If you have EL on copper, then the copper has to stay. DSL will not work over the fiber. You're making this harder than it has to be.