spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CS Anon Style
@mdsg-pacwest.com

CS Anon Style

Anon

Wireless network help needed

We are trying to set up a secure wireless VPN between three laptops and a PC. The three laptops are running XP and the PC is on Vista.

Question #1: Do I have to change any settings from "Domain" to "Network" to run a wireless VPN?
I did this during the Network Setup Wizard run and after rebooting, we were locked out of one of the laptops with an "Invalid Password" error. We were unable to correct the problem and sent the laptop back for a new issue from our firm, but I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Question #2: We are at an active construction site with a number of other trailers running wireless, and we pick up surrounding networks. They are all secure, but I accidentally (sincerely) tried hooking up to the wrong network We all have similar names for our networks in the various trailers, and I'm wondering if after the reboot (as in the above scenario in "Question #1"), since I was trying to hook up with the wrong network, the other network created the "Invalid Password" error. This has been bugging me since it happened.

Anyway, the final setup will be three Dell laptops (running XP, 1.8GHz/512KB), and a HP Pavilion PC (2.0GHz/1024MB) running Vista.

We need to hook up a VPN between these four computers, with the PC being the "repository" for all the work on the three laptops ("sort of like" a 250GB external HD). We need full access to the PC, to be able to read and write to the drives. A laptop will be the primary computer with the PCI card.

Now, we need a router that is compatible with a Cingular PCI and one that accepts the darn thing. One of our other trailers hooked up with a Linksys Wireless-G Mobile Broadband Router (WRT54G3G-ST), which seems to be the only router with a slot for the card.

I scoured the Linksys and Cingular websites last night, printed out some information, but it really is "too much information" and I am not sure how to proceed. Any hints to get me started will be appreciated. We are like the blind leading the blind at work and need a boost in the right direction.

If I am in the wrong forum, please move me!

Thank you.

Leah

Sparrow See Profile
(flying under the radar)