Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

[BT] uTorrent won't do anything!

That's it, I'm getting fed up now.

It seems that no matter what torrent I try, µTorrent just seems to sit there and not download nor upload anything. And then while it's running and apparently trying, it makes everything web-related (clicking through links, surfing) respond much more slowly.

I would understand if it would work, but for it to get slow and it not transferring any files whatsoever, it gets old and rather irritating.

Is there any way I can make it play nice again? or am I going to have to switch torrent programs all over again?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Is it making connections?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

Is it making connections?
What, you mean with the peers/seeds stuff?

gr33dy
join:2002-05-31
Albuquerque, NM

gr33dy to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
What does it say under "Tracker Status" for the torrent(s) you are trying to download?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

C0deZer0

Premium Member

On every single torrent (including those I have managed to complete before), it just says "working" for tracker status.

Only one of them has managed to connect to any seeders, and even then, it's not transferring at all.

I have two torrents that (are supposed to be) actively downloading, and about five that are complete and left to seed, but again... nothing's moving - neither in nor out. And simply having it on and running makes even the simple act of browsing this web site crawl like I'm on a 28.8 modem all over again.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

nfx to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

And then while it's running and apparently trying, it makes everything web-related (clicking through links, surfing) respond much more slowly.
Too many open connections from Utorrent could be overwhelming a router or causing an NIC to choke. The first thing I would do is look for updated NIC drivers and router firmware, if a router is being used. Secondly, I would suggest lowering the max amount of connections in Utorrent to 200 or lower.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

2 edits

C0deZer0

Premium Member

the router's firmware is already at its latest, along with the NIC driver.

I dropped the number of connections down to 200, but it doesn't seem to be making surfing any better.

*EDIT/UPDATE* on the other hand, I restarted uTorrent now after applying the new setting, and it appears to be downloading again, but only from one of the torrents I am trying to download. the other one (which has many, many more seeders) still won't download for anything.

*Update 2* okay, so the maximum connections is down to 200, but even just simple surfing feels like I'm just running on dialup all over again. I'd like to be able to leave the thing on and keep sharing, but I'm not going to tolerate crap being slow as sin when I actually need to use the connection for something else.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Either lower the speed, or put you torrent on a schedule

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

nfx to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
Try lowering it to 100 or 150.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by nfx:

Try lowering it to 100 or 150.
well, I try that, but now not only does it take a minute for firefox to respond to clicks when it's running, but it won't connect me to any seeders or peers that are listed sharing the file at all.

None of this is making any sense.

Jarmann
The Old One
Premium Member
join:2003-05-25

Jarmann to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
What type of router do you have?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Belkin 802.11g router. I already tried updating the firmware on the unit, but it didn't make a difference.

TongSama
join:2002-07-04
Santa Rosa, CA

TongSama

give us the screenshot of it running.. oh and blank out the filenames if you need to

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by TongSama:

give us the screenshot of it running.. oh and blank out the filenames if you need to
As you wish.

TongSama
join:2002-07-04
Santa Rosa, CA

TongSama

have u tried options>speed guide and run a port test? try with and without encryption

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Enabling encryption didn't seem to affect much of anything. At most, it just started downloading around 2-4KB/sec, for about 30 seconds and just stopped, in spite of that torrent having nearly 1000 seeders active.

And no matter what, just even having µTorrent running kills all my internet speed, and makes every single click in firefox or IE take over a minute before I finally get a damn response.

What kills me is that it's not even uploading nor downloading anymore. It just sits there doing nothing but killing my internet connection altogether.

And I had UPnP enabled on both the router and in µTorrent because every time I have to reset that router for any reason, I get a different IP, so simply using the belkin's port forwarding does nothing because the setting would only work against me the next time that I either reboot the computer, the wireless ethernet converter I'm using, or the router itself. And I get really sick of having my internet lag like sin just for having ONE stupid program that won't even do what it's supposed to open.
theyipper
join:2001-01-18
Oakland, CA

theyipper to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
The little yellow triangle status light at the bottom of uTorrent states that port isn't forwarded correctly (can't be seen).

So as you stated that whenever you reboot, your IP changes. You will have to manually configure your wireless nic so that you have a fixed internal network IP (ie: 192.168.0.30). Then configure your router's port forwarding to point to that fixed IP.

Also does UPnP actually work on the router and is compatible with uTorrent? You can check the log window in uTorrent on startup to see UPnP info.

Just as a note, if you keep getting different IP's when you reboot sometimes it means that someone else is also using the wireless router (and taking your previous IP via DHCP). You aren't sharing the router with anyone else?

porkchops
Premium Member
join:2003-05-17
Saint Marys, WV

1 edit

porkchops to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
^ beat me to it.

If your haven't forwarded your port properly, you would still be able locally establish connections as well as connect through uTorrent's DHT; however, would be unable to accept a remotely established connection (yellow triangle). This might explain why you were able to finish some torrents.

You might also want to check that your modem isn't acting as a routing device. I've seen this very often, specifically with Westell modems.
-

AFAIK, utorrent supports UPnP

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to theyipper

Premium Member

to theyipper
With my old D-Link wired router, I was able to set a static IP assigned by whatever MAC address of a given client. I have found no such way of fixing an IP with this Belkin router.

The router isn't mine, but I can log in to it to perform settings.

Limewire doesn't seem to have a problem with UPnP, as far as I can tell, because I've been able to use that program and download just fine, and not have it lag up my internet activities even remotely as bad as µTorrent does.

I do live with other roommates, and we share the wireless internet here. It's not a wireless LAN card inside my machine; it's a Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter I have to use because I have other devices (PS2, Xbox, GameCube, etc.), which have no other way of being wireless.
C0deZer0

C0deZer0

Premium Member

that's it. I'm sick and tired of this garbage.

I delete those that I was trying and went with a new torrent file from a different source.

At first, µTorrent leads me to believe it's goign to work again. Downloads to about 0.5%, then goes into a complete and utter standstill. No uploading, no downloading, nada. And even just clicking to make this post, it took Firefox TWO MINUTES to render the stupid page. That is unacceptable.

I'm sick and tired of this crap. I want a torrent that WORKS for crying out loud. There HAS to be one that will work.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
Unfortunately the fact that utorrent works for many including myself means there isn't much we can do except troubleshoot a problem that is on YOUR end and not a problem with uTorrent itself.

Now I have ran into the firefox sluggishness problem before and what I suggest is to doublecheck the settings and overall specs of your router to see if it is indeed capable of handling all the connections uTorrent opens at once. When I got this WRT54GS router the first day and got the DD-WRT firmware loaded on it, I ran into the EXACT same problem with just about everything BUT uT slowing to a crawl. Come to find out the default connection limit of somewhere around 500 or so wasn't cutting it. Upped it to the max of 4096 simultaneous connections and all has been peachy thus far.

superakcraig
join:2005-03-15
Louisville, KY

superakcraig to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
I have a suggestion for you Codezero, take the router out of the equation. Hook your pc directly to your modem. My first router was a belkin and it was doodee!! It would lock up, i couldn't surf when downloading, basically the same exact problems that you are having.

I would be willing to bet this will fix your problem.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

I can't do that.

For one, it's not my router.

Secondly, I can't just go deny internet access to the rest of the house just for ONE thing; on that same note, that's one reason I won't go drop the entire network security... just for ONE thing (my DS).
C0deZer0

C0deZer0 to Vchat20

Premium Member

to Vchat20
There has to be a torrent client that WILL work.

superakcraig
Louisville, KY

superakcraig

My suggestion was just a test, not a fix. If you find that Utorrent does work without the belkin, at least you will know that it isn't Utorrent or your ISP or the tracker, it is your router causing the problems, then get a new router.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

nfx to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
Yea, I really don't think it's a client issue either.

kados
Hail Odin
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
Watertown, SD

kados to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
You didn't even listen to what people are telling you...

on the bottom of utorrent there is a little triangle...CLICK ON IT

it will open a box...click the square that says test if port is forwarded correctly

it will open a page in a browser that will test it...

I would bet 100% that is the problem...it's eating all your bandwith trying to connect, which it can't because the port is BLOCKED

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

But isn't the point of enabling/supporting UPnP that it would auto-forward the correct/necessary port(s)?

My Xbox 360 auto-generated some port-forwarding configs into the router just fine, and I have UPnP enabled on the router, and the service enabled on the computer. It SHOULD be able to forward the port properly.

So why isn't it?

superakcraig
Louisville, KY

superakcraig to kados

to kados
said by kados:

You didn't even listen to what people are telling you...
I hear you there. I only offered a test and see option, just a test to take the router TEMPORARILY out of the situation and I got shot down. (Maybe he is stealing internet from his neighbor...HAHAHA )All I can say is if your router can't handle torrent traffic, it doesn't matter what type of torrent client you use, or how many connections you have it limited to, it still isn't going to work.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Well, I can't do it. As it is, the tower itself weighs about 30-40lbs, and the UPS weighs another 20-lbs. And I don't have a way to plug it in for power for that bit of time.

And where am I going to get a router that will work? Every brick-n-mortar store I can go to only seems to carry that same one we are using now.