All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SWriverstone
join:2007-02-10
Harpers Ferry, WV

SWriverstone

Where do broadband providers' claims of speed end?

For several years I've been more than a little irritated with the speed claims of various broadband service providers (both DSL and cable).

I have a DSL line from Frontier Communications in Harpers Ferry, WV. Frontier claims a speed of 1Mbps (down) on the line, but I've never achieved more than 300-400Kbps.

When I contacted Frontier, they directed me to a speedtest on their website, then further instructed me to conduct a speedtest on a server in Charles Town, WV, about 3 miles away. I got 1.3Mbps on this test, all fine and good.

But when I do a speedtest on literally *any* other server on the Internet, I'm right back down to 300-400Kbps again. If all my http requests were directed to servers in Charles Town, WV, I'd be happy...but of course I *never* hit servers in Charles Town, WV.

This leads me to an important question: where precisely does the provider's speed claims end? They market their service as 1Mbps---from the NID on my house...to where?

Clearly in my case, Frontier's claims are bogus when it comes to any servers on the net beyond Charles Town, WV.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else here has had similar issues with your provider.

This is an important issue, because it is (in my opinion) a case of false marketing when providers claim high speeds while users are routinely crawling along at "perpetual rush hour" speeds online.

Scott

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

Their speed claim is "rate at your NID". That's all. Their claim will stand up in court.

It sounds like their link to the outside world is congested.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to SWriverstone

MVM

to SWriverstone
File transfer performance is an end to end measure so in fairness to the ISP some effects are beyond their control. At the same time ISP's use it as an excuse not to improve back-haul and peering. Sounds like in your case the physical link is operating correctly but problem may be with how your ISP peers.

Not a lot you can do about your ISP's business practices.

Might try doing traceroute (tracert in Windows) to stable sites like BBR to see where problem lies.

Try increasing RWIN to partially compensate for latency. Check out the Tools page.
»/tools

/Tom
robertfl
Premium Member
join:2005-10-10
Mary Esther, FL

robertfl

Premium Member

Also, how is your upload?

and try this during off peak times. If you notice a difference then, then I would contact them and, if nothing is resolved, file a complaint to your local city regarding them.

Rob