All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BellCookie
@telus.net

BellCookie

Anon

Telus 2700HG-E as a Router; no Modem feature?

If anyone could help me that'd be great i'm trying to change the 2Wire 2700HG-E Gateway from a Modem/Router to a straight Router.

I currently have it setup as the following...
DSL -- MODEM -- SWITCH -- ROUTER1 / ROUTER2 / (2WIRE?)

Off my DSL Connection I recieve 3 different IP's (another story) and I want to get the 2WIRE Gateway to pick up one of the Registered MAC Addresses (Dynamic IPs) and give off a 192.168.X.X IP to the internal computers.

How would I go about doing that? Each Router has to retain a different WAN IP Address for work purposes. Thanks a bunch!

- BellCookie
cerealkiller2
join:2007-03-06
Russia

cerealkiller2

Even though you have an ethernet jack on the back of the 2wire, you are not able to disable the dsl modem inside. This is something that Telus decided.

btw, aren't those 2wires that Telus uses leased and not actually sold to you? I always thought that if you switched ISP's, then you'd have to send the 2wire back.
sodagreen
join:2007-01-13
Taiwan

sodagreen to BellCookie

to BellCookie
If you live in the continental U.S. and you own the modem not Telus you can send the modem in to 2Wire and they can flash it to a different version of the firmware that will allow you to use the modem as just a router. So if your in the U.S. email support@2wire.com and tell them you need a J-Tag and where you live and they will tell you where to send it.

k9snifferxx3
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

That's a great idea but Telus has made the decision to only rent the modems out to us at no charge.

In order for the OP to get ownership of the modem he would have to cancel wait 30 days pay the bill and then resign up.

His other choice is he could call Telus and ask for a second device at a cost of $150 out of his pocket.

It's just bit ironic that cancelling your three year contract is cheaper than buying a 2wire from them.
sodagreen
join:2007-01-13
Taiwan

sodagreen to BellCookie

to BellCookie
Based on what Joshb said if you opted to own it change the firmware either through 2Wire which is preferred or some of the options posted on boards through a local upgrade(at your own risk since if done wrong can render the modem useless). If you don't own it you can contact Telus and inquire as to their policy on you changing the firmware.

k9snifferxx3
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

There policy is very simple.

No your not allowed.

That's not to say some of us haven't done it.

If you know what your doing just make a backup of there firmware and then install whatever you want. Just make sure you never loose that backup.

You toast the sucker your going to be on the hook for that $150 CAD

BellCookie
@telus.net

BellCookie to BellCookie

Anon

to BellCookie
Not sure if they leasing this 2Wire Modem to me or not.

When I called Retention/Loyalty I signed 3 year contract with 4 months of free ADSL and than $100 AMEX Card.

They sent me the 2WIRE Modem at my request because I wanted a new modem instead of my 3Com Home Connect.

What are the ways I could make this hunk of junk just a Router etc? I want to try and play with this thing since the 2 new Linksys Router's I bought; well i don't want to damage them.

k9snifferxx3
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

If you just want another modem there is another option. You can get the speedtouch. It is a fantastic new/old style bridge modem.

It should be fairly easy to get customer service to mail you a new modem. It's not worth going through all the hassles of switching ISP's for. That is unless you already cancelled?

Deamion
@shawcable.net

Deamion to BellCookie

Anon

to BellCookie
said by BellCookie :

What are the ways I could make this hunk of junk just a Router etc?
You will need the Telus password, but if you go to »192.168.1.254/managment (or whatever your router ip is) Then enter the password, set the broadband type to ethernet. That will "turn off" the DSL, and make the unit work as a WiFi router only. No firmware flash needed. And you can always turn it back on. But you'll still need the Telus password. (Ask someone that works for Telus, you might get the password.)
cerealkiller2
join:2007-03-06
Russia

cerealkiller2

Telus 2wire modems don't allow their customers to access their management page.

k9snifferxx3
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

They don't. But if the OP was to go over to the Telus forum and use the search function they would find it as it was posted by some-one. But that's all I can say.

The OP is going to have to do the leg work on there own if they want access.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to BellCookie

Premium Member

to BellCookie
Most 2wires are customer owned. They're given away free with any 1-3yr term on any plan from 1.5-6.0 Mbps.

The only way you'll have a Telus "rental" (no charge but telus owned) is if you are on a month to month plan (no term) or you've had adsl for a while and had problems with your previous modem which tech support had to send a replacement for.

Just remember... if you brick it... you'll have to buy your replacement yourself.