crane
Premium Member
join:2000-12-31
Sebastian, FL

crane to Coriolis3

Premium Member

to Coriolis3

Re: CpuFsb software -- your opinions please

Cpucool uses tray frequencys.... these are tested,preset frequencys you configure that reside in your programs tray icon. You click on your preset of 133 mhz...BOOM its 133 mhz (thats where the tested by you part comes in) click back on 100 mhz ,you're at 100.
Thats how it works with CPUCool anyway.

Bahamut X
Premium Member
join:2000-12-09
Fort Worth, TX

Bahamut X

Premium Member

Quick question... where do I find the PLL information??

Listening here, downloaded CPU Cool, and need that info!

Coriolis3
Premium Member
join:2001-03-09
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

On your mobo, probably near the CPU, you should see a thin metallic chip about 1cm long with rounded sides. It will have the number 14.3xxx Mhz beside it. Near that chip, you'll see a small IC -- get a flashlight (and magnifying glass if you have one on hand) and look at it very closely. It should have a manufacturer tag or imprint and a series of numbers or alphanumeric codes.

Tell me exactly what you see on the chip.

crane
Premium Member
join:2000-12-31
Sebastian, FL

crane to Bahamut X

Premium Member

to Bahamut X
If you have SiSoft Sandra...look under mainboard info. Also,CPUCool will ask you to enter your mainboard info (manufacturer&model#) when you run the program the first time.More than likely ,it will pick the right pll if you supply the right info.
As a last resort, or a first resort.......open the case and look for a small oblong shaped thing with the numbers 14.3 stamped into it(crystal oscillator or some thing) right around there is your PLL chip . It is usually about 1/2 inch rectangle with soldered connections on all 4 sides. Look for the letters, IMI,capital"w" for winbond,cypress uses a tree icon. you get the idea. each manufacturer is different. I beleive its the first set of numbers on the chip.
crane

crane

Premium Member

Sorry Coriolis, I shoulda updated my browser before I posted I guess. You had it handled.

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3 to crane

Premium Member

to crane
said by crane:
Cpucool uses tray frequencys.... these are tested,preset frequencys you configure that reside in your programs tray icon. You click on your preset of 133 mhz...BOOM its 133 mhz (thats where the tested by you part comes in) click back on 100 mhz ,you're at 100.
Thats how it works with CPUCool anyway.
Heh, this is what I thought they were for -- at least the instructions more or less gave this impression -- but for some reason my version doesn't seem to be able to use them. Meaning that, nothing happens when I click on them. Oh well, guess it's not that critical.

xxxSPACExxx
In Deep
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29
3rd Planet

xxxSPACExxx to crane

Premium Member

to crane
I finally got my PeeIII 500GHz OC'd to 600MHz. Using CPUCool. :):)

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

Ok, not so lucky with my PIII 500MHz chip. For some reason I can't get it above 512 MHz!!

Part of the problem is that CPUFSB (and probably CPUCool, since they're basically the same program) has no setting between FSB speeds of 103 MHz and 124 MHz for my PLL (Cypress W149). I'm running WinNT on this box and my computer instantly crashes when I set my FSB to 124 MHz.

There must be a way to get a better range of FSB speeds... I'm just not sure how...

Anyone?

Deus
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Brooklyn, NY

Deus

Premium Member

I think that's the only settings you can choose from to overclock. I haven't seen or heard any program here or in DellTalk, Dell's support forums, where you can actually overclock in 1mhz increments. You could try to email the creator of the CPUFSB and CPUCool to see if it is possible to overclock in 1mhz increments in the registered version as the 100, 103, 124, and 133mhz settings are the only ones I see available in my non-registered version. Well best of luck. T

Coriolis3
Premium Member
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3

Premium Member

It just seems weird that there's such a gap between 103 and 124. I mean, what's the benefit of raising FSB from 100 to 103? Sure would be nice if there was a 112 setting -- I know some PLL's offer this setting... just not mine. What a drag.