sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to mavere

(topic move) dont go the extra mile for charter

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »dont go the extra mile for charter

stated reason was: .

landothedave

join:2006-11-03
Everett, WA
reply to chef4231

Re: [Connectivity] Account Suspended?

said by chef4231:

so funny to hear people complaining about using WAY to much bandwidth. There isnt ANY reason for it. Check your HDD and I bet we find a ton of movies you didnt pay for not to mention the loads of .mp3 files was well...

Again, there is NO reason for a home user to be sucking up over 400gb of data...get real. Your the reason why the RIAA and the movie crownies are after everyone..
while you may be mostly correct. But many people are video geeks. We make short films and do not sale them but we share them. Sucks down a ton of bandwidth. When im not sharing my own vids im watching others. Wether its from ifilm or the archive or various other sites that offer free short films. Hell even youtube as shitty as it is can be addictive and suck down some legal bandwidth. Not everyone using large amounts of bw are downloading illegal data.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium
join:2005-01-03
reply to CableTool
said by CableTool:

Because as stated before, reaching 200-600gb a month without violating your TOS is pretty damn hard to do. And if you are legitimately hitting those numbers you probably are doing something that would more then likely be classified as a business account.
EXACTLY! Whenever this happens, the unfortunate customer complains "but I wasn't doing anything wrong!" However, they usually say "I was JUST working from home!" Working, you say? Sounds like you need a BUSINESS account! If you're working for yourself, that's your problem, but if you are an employee, you should be able to get your employer to reimburse you for your internet connection, as you are using it to do their work.

In this particular case, EIGHT people working form home? Well no wonder you got kicked off! Get a couple of business accounts!
--
"I invented it, Bill made it famous." --David Bradley, the inventor of Ctrl+Alt+Del.

chef4231
Chef423

join:2000-09-02
Springfield, IL
reply to hopeflicker
umm, ok then, tell me what other application this person could be using 4-600gb a month for? Running a server? Against the TOS...so there isnt any excuse...

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to PolarBear03
Does Comcast offer a business tier of service?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Bateman

@comcast.net
reply to mavere
No, a couple of people part-time at home. And after this notice, we're already looking into upgrading to a business account.

Interestingly, there have been at least eight people in this rented house for years, long before I got here, and there never was a problem before. We're going to look into the logs, to make sure no one was breaking into our wireless.

In any case, I was saying that my last post worked as a rabbit's foot, forcing Comcast to get back to me, so hopefully this one will as well.

When I talked to them last night, they said our account would be reactivated in an hour, and that was twelve hours ago.

Withdrawal symptoms setting in.

Loker
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND
said by Bateman :

No, a couple of people part-time at home. And after this notice, we're already looking into upgrading to a business account.

Interestingly, there have been at least eight people in this rented house for years, long before I got here, and there never was a problem before. We're going to look into the logs, to make sure no one was breaking into our wireless.

In any case, I was saying that my last post worked as a rabbit's foot, forcing Comcast to get back to me, so hopefully this one will as well.

When I talked to them last night, they said our account would be reactivated in an hour, and that was twelve hours ago.

Withdrawal symptoms setting in.
and you are still able to post?
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic inQuake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

magicjimmy

join:2006-03-23
Tucson, AZ
reply to PolarBear03
Seems to me, if you got 8 people in a household "working" from the same connection, a T1 would be the way to go. Split 8 ways it would only be like $50 each monthly.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by magicjimmy:

Seems to me, if you got 8 people in a household "working" from the same connection, a T1 would be the way to go. Split 8 ways it would only be like $50 each monthly.
Well keep in mind a T1 is only 1.54/1.54. They could get Comcast Business Enhanced (8.0/1.0) for ~$160/month.. so about $20/mo. per person.

Unless Business class has these invisible caps as well..

pharma7

join:2004-02-06
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 edit
reply to mavere
Instead of getting a business account, why not add 1 or 2 more residential accounts and split it between the eight users? With 2 or 3 lines coming into the house you'd increase bandwidth accordingly.

Just my .02.

Also not sure where you live, but Verizon FIOS sent letters to our area and I was able to get a reduced internet rate for 12 months.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to magicjimmy
Uhmmmmmmm lets see. 1536/1536(T1) divided by 8 is 192kbps per.
would YOU pay $50 for 192/192?
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to CableTool
Do they ever look up those nodes with high traffic and say, "oh look its a business customer!" and brush it off?

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
I have no idea. Im not in the abuse department and have never looked into it much.
--
CableFAQ.org/Technicians Unplugged

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Do they ever look up those nodes with high traffic and say, "oh look its a business customer!" and brush it off?
Of course they do, those are the sub-50 GB users.

Unless, of course, your business is running torrents. Then I'd like to apply.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

Bateman

@comcast.net
reply to Loker
I was using an open wireless network nearby to post before, but the good news is that the rabbit's-foot trick worked, as my connection came back on a couple of hours after writing the whine.

Last time I looked into it, business accounts were more affordable than I expected -- I want to say $60-70/month -- particularly the low-end choice (dynamic IP, not many e-mail accounts), and I think that might be the easiest way to get eight people online without cut-off worry.

Again, I don't know if they brush off any cut-off threats if you're a business customer, but the abuse representative did tell me the best way to fix the situation was to upgrade to an account that "could handle the eight people more appropriately."

Loker
Premium
Fargo, ND

1 edit
said by Bateman :

Again, I don't know if they brush off any cut-off threats if you're a business customer, but the abuse representative did tell me the best way to fix the situation was to upgrade to an account that "could handle the eight people more appropriately."
I bet they were probably referring to a commercial account....those get quite expensive...
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Nightwchtr

join:2001-09-10
Centreville, VA
reply to Sebastian
Ya the warning is suspension

JJmi

@adelphia.net
If you need to use that much bw you are better of getting a server somewhere and connecting remotely to it. Sure you have to pay a bit for it but the prices are cheaper than losing your connection for abuse.

It cuts out the middle man "Comcast" and you will have much better speed (100mbit) with as much bw as you need if you so choose.

Regards

JJ

tbaker397

join:2004-07-19
Berlin, PA
reply to dvd536
said by dvd536:

Uhmmmmmmm lets see. 1536/1536(T1) divided by 8 is 192kbps per.
would YOU pay $50 for 192/192?
The thing is with a T1, it is a GAURENTEED speed. Sure there maybe SOME overhead but not much. When you shell out 400/month for a T1 connection your really not paying for the speed your getting, but rather the reliability and what not.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium
join:2005-01-03
reply to pharma7
said by pharma7:

why not add 1 or 2 more residential accounts and split it between the eight users?
Will Comcast put more than one drop on a residence, and if so, what would the install cost?

The only time I have EVER even heard of more than one drop coming into a house was when a guy had one residential account for his family to use, and one business account for his small home business. That scenario made sense to me, but multiple residential accounts? I doubt they'd do it.
--
"I invented it, Bill made it famous." --David Bradley, the inventor of Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Loker
Premium
Fargo, ND
said by PolarBear03:

said by pharma7:

why not add 1 or 2 more residential accounts and split it between the eight users?
Will Comcast put more than one drop on a residence, and if so, what would the install cost?

The only time I have EVER even heard of more than one drop coming into a house was when a guy had one residential account for his family to use, and one business account for his small home business. That scenario made sense to me, but multiple residential accounts? I doubt they'd do it.
would another drop really be necessary if his signal levels were good enough?
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic inQuake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

JJmi

@adelphia.net
Yes they can and will add another line. For my purposes using a router and sharing the one line was not good enough so we added an additional line. Was a year or so ago cant remember what it costs but it was inexpensive

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
said by JJmi :

Yes they can and will add another line.
No, it varies from market to market. If there are open ports at the tap and the network in the area is designed to have extra ports then they might. If it isn't, then they won't be running two drops to a house.

CableTool
Premium
Yeah, if there is an 8 port tap and 6 ports are used you arent getting 8 more drops. Youd get 2.

I once had a customer INSIST I run a second drop for his HSI because he believed it would speed his HSI up. He only had one video and one hsi outlet, a two way, at his home. So instead I put a two way at the tap and ran both drops off of the two way. Didnt want to waste a port and go out of spec because someone assumed they knew my job and plant better then me.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mavere
it mainly depends on getting a tech to actually do it. in all the systems ive worked in if i felt it was warranted and there was a extra port i just went ahead and did and continue to do it. i might add that now i sometimes go ahead and change the tap plate out to make enough ports to do it. some systems frown on it but i dont know of any that have rules not allowing it. keep in mind that im now in construction. i might also mention i wouldnt feel it was needed unless you have 16+ outlets. i may also do it if its needed for inside wiring.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to CableTool
a customer that INSISTS to me doesnt work with me . i just learned to say no. like i said i only do it if i feel its needed. philadelphia used to have a rule that every forth outlet recieved a seperate drop. it was stupid. when they had that rules they didnt use balanced three ways which really made it stupid.

stonecolddsl
Linux Junkie

join:2004-01-07
Sarasota, FL

1 edit
reply to mavere
See there is really two options here.

A. Move to a area where there is verizon fios and kiss cable good bye.

B. take a old pc and install PFSense Firewall/router and use there super simple QOS/Packet shaping wizard to simply limit p2p traffic. Manage and monitor your own bandwith so comcast stays off your back.

C. tell comcast where they can shove there cable modem and just deal with slower dsl connection.

chevelle

join:2002-11-05
Lake Havasu City, AZ
reply to rody_44
Just change the faceplate? You have heard of insertion loss and cable loss, right? Now you are changing inputs to the next amp in cascade and I bet your Plant Manager just loves you!!
--
Chevelle

CableTool
Premium
Changing out a regal 20v 4 port for a regal 20v 8 port is perfectly acceptable and requires no rebalancing of anything.
--