Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to LLigetfa

Premium Member

to LLigetfa

Re: Rain fading charts for USA/Canada

Too much is when you are breaking EIRP limits

Or if your radio does not have enough bandwidth in the front end, and it over-loads the hell out of it. If this is the case then you probably should switch manufacturers.

If you are very close, naturally in those instances one should use proper judgement.

30-35 above your receive sensitivity. In my experience this has been around -60dB, but this is all relative as it depends on the equipment you are using. You can, it seems bend the rules depending on the radio system involved.

I should also add that one might consider other environmental factors such as dust storms. It is fairly dry where we are, but we had two dust storms last summer that knocked an old microwave system off the air. I do not know of when the system was last PM'd, so it may be that the antenna system needs checking.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by Hahausuck:

I should also add that one might consider other environmental factors such as dust storms.
While rain and snow attenuation has been researched a lot, dust and smog has not been covered as well.

BTW most vendors provide a table of RX sensitivity that often take into account the higher SNR requirements I mentioned for different modulation.

If they provide a single number only (often around -85dBm) it is for their lowest complexity modulation (maybe QPSK) so adding 30dB above that for QAM64 is good practice.