Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Darkjeste

join:2007-03-16
Toledo, OH

Speeds since upgrade

Anyone still alive on this forum heh?

Well before the upgrade on March 1st of this year,I usually always got close to my 5Mbit download on the speed tests of this site and others.

Now since the upgrade most of the time it's worse,or around the same speeds.

Now I will say downloads are different,they do reach up to about 850k/sec now and hold steady between 790 to the 850k/sec mark.

It would be nice for actual speed tests to work,even on the speedtest on buckeye's site the max i can reach is 5.6Mbit's

Upload is always spot on with any test usually,around 512KB upload so about 61Kb/sec and nearly always holds that speed,I was quite shocked that upload speed didn't get bumped with the upgrade.

I believe the 10MBit package should have at least a 1Mbit upload if not 1.2Mbit and the new 7.0 Package should be at about 712 if not a little more.

I've been very happy with the service for many years now,I would just like to see the full 7Mbit package they advertise instead of the 6.5/6.6Mbit that we get which is about 840k/sec.

This happend with the old 5MBit package to untill a couple days before the upgrade,would always get about 4.5Mbits on download but then started getting the full speed a few days before they switched everyone on.

This maybe just how bandwith is calculated with them thoe,seems they would have to provision the modems to go a little over 7MBit to actually get the full speed as now it seems to round the speed down.

I know it's stupid to complain about half a Mbit,but I know the speed is there and it's capable of doing it since it did a few days before the upgrade.

Other then that,I'm glad they upgraded the speeds for everyone for free...This should keep people very happy for awhile longer,I know I am.

Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

I pretty much get 10Mbps (or higher) depending on when I test. Upstream is almost always within 10kbps of 755kbps (10Mbps / 800kbps package). There have been occasions where my tested speed was 9600kbps downstream, but that's not normal and is generally indicative of signal issues for my node.

On a side note, BEX does do some padding with their modem configs to make up for overhead. I believe there is something like a 5% - 10% cushion on downstream. As far as I know, this doesn't apply to upstream though. I'm pretty sure there's no cushioning there.

I'm with you on wanting more upstream. DOCSIS 3.0 can't come soon enough!

- Tate

--
I may work for a telecom... but that doesn't mean I'm one of the bad guys.

tperl

join:2005-11-15
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Darkjeste

My parents have buckeye at their house. I tested it out after the upgrade and noticed they were only getting about 3mbit dl and 300k upload. Did a router swap and they are now at full 7mbit dl speed. I can't believe Buckeye upgraded before Time Warner and some of the other "big guns" in Ohio. Still at 5/512 in Columbus for standard tier.

Darkjeste

join:2007-03-16
Toledo, OH
reply to Darkjeste

Yea I can see room for error on speed test depending on time of day,but since the upgrade the speed tests never go above 5.6-5.9mbs and just wondering why.

Right now it's 3:50AM in the morning and I just got 5.71Down and 487KBPS upload from the buckeye speed test.

dslreports speed test is usually always about 1Mbit less then that and same with speedtest.net I get about 5mbit even.

Rather annoying trying to get a friend to switch to buckeye and tell them the speed is great but can't do a simple speed test.

Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

The only speed tester that I ever trust is Speakeasy's (»speakeasy.net/speedtest). It's always been spot-on accurate for me, even when I test using some beefier connections. Stick with the Illinois test and you should be golden. My work modem has an unrestricted 25Mbps downstream / 3Mbps up BEX policy, and Speakeasy Illinois always accurately reports it.

Also, if you have a virus scanner like Avast that does real time scanning, it may be the bottleneck. I'd bypass any routers, disable anti-virus, and see if that improves your results.

Good luck!

- Tate

--
I may work for a telecom... but that doesn't mean I'm one of the bad guys.