how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oneeyeddeer
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Columbus, OH

Free antivirus for non-profit organization?

I work for a non-profit organization and am in need of some antivirus software. I know that AVG and Avast offer 50% off to non-profits and charitable organizations, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a good antivirus program that offers free products to non-profits.

Thanks in advance!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
Can't you use the free versions of AVG or Avast?

Avast free and Avast Pro are almost identical.

»www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_co ··· omp.html
--
~~Well, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, just like me...~~

oneeyeddeer
Premium
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I know, but I read their Terms and they specify that institutions, even non-profit ones, still need to purchase the product. Like I said in my original post, they do offer 50% discounts, but I would like to find something I can use for free.

FlsRend
Premium
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to oneeyeddeer
Have you looked into ClamWin AV?
»www.clamwin.com/

madirish
Premium
join:2003-08-04
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

reply to oneeyeddeer
try Avira: »www.free-av.com/

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid

join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to oneeyeddeer
Also check out Comodo AV; I think it is free for all including non-profits.

»antivirus.comodo.com/

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to oneeyeddeer
said by oneeyeddeer:

Yeah, I know, but I read their Terms and they specify that institutions, even non-profit ones, still need to purchase the product. Like I said in my original post, they do offer 50% discounts, but I would like to find something I can use for free.
Ahh, I see. Didn't think of that.
--
~~Well, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, just like me...~~

someuser9

join:2003-12-10
Powell, OH

1 recommendation

reply to oneeyeddeer
I know the OP is looking for free software, but a good resource for non-profit organizations is TechSoup:
»www.techsoup.org/

oneeyeddeer
Premium
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

reply to oneeyeddeer
You guys are great! Thanks for all the suggestions. I was in a real bind yesterday (I found out that 3 of the computers on the network weren't running any type of AVS at all!!) and so I downloaded AOL's AVS, Active Virus Shield. »www.activevirusshield.com/antivi ··· dex.adp?

Obviously, I had reservations about using anything with those three letters attached to it, but I found some pretty good reviews on here, plus the fact that it's a trimmed down version of Kaspersky. I figured it was better than nothing, at least for the time being.

Does anyone have any experience with it? I checked out your suggestions and Comodo looked pretty good. Maybe I'll give that a try too.

Thanks for your help. I'm the unofficial IT person here and rely pretty heavily on this site. DSLR rocks!

arggem
Done With D.U.N.
Premium
join:2002-09-21
Argentina

1 recommendation

That's not really surprising I guess, yet I still find it astoundingly amazing. Absolutely no protection...and they probably click on any old attachment that comes down the pike.

I pity your IT duties in a setting like that (which obviously have absolutely NOTHING to do with your training or job description I'm sure! )