join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Future Internet Design

There was a BBR front page news article last week about problems with the current Internet and a Stanford University study that seeks to address them.
»Let's Build a Better Internet

I was disappointed the thread did not get much play so I thought I'd repost it here to see if we can stimulate some discussion.

Here is a link to the "Clean-Slate Design for the Internet" posted at Stanford.

and my rebuttal post »Clean-Slate Whitepaper Critique

Rather then moan and groan about how awful things are it would be useful to kick around ideas for what the future should look like.

/Tom
Estragon
join:2003-06-20
Greenville, NH

Estragon

Why?

said by tschmidt:

I was disappointed the thread did not get much play ...
So why should it get much play?

It appears to me like a research proposal doing research for researches sake. Researchers are good at that. But it is not clear that it will do anything useful.

The article claims that the research will start with a clean slate. It then states seven characteristics of the "new" internet, which are anything but a clean slate. These characteristics define the result that they want to get. So what's the research going to do?

Consider two of the requirements:

(1) The network should be as ... available as the wire-line telephone network is today.

(4) The network should be profitable for those who provide service and build equipment ...

Meeting both of these requirements simultaneously is quite a challenge. Requirement (4) makes me wonder who is funding the research. And why?

And the article never really addresses (1) at all. (4) is addressed, though. Who is funding this "research"?

If we want to start with a clean slate, requirement (1) is an interesting idea. But why is (4) a requirement? Why does it have to be profitable?

Is profitability a requirement of the interstate highway system?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

tschmidt

MVM

Agreed.

I was hoping others would chime in with how they think Internet should evolve over time.

The focus of the study should be clear when you check out who is funding it:
»cleanslate.stanford.edu/ ··· nies.php

/Tom