spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tekboy

@rr.com

[ATT CV] ATT CallVantage.... does it work with ADT Alarm system?

I am curios if there is any ATT Callvantage customers who have an alarm system, like ADT hooked up to your VOIP set up. I was told by some that it works and by ADT that it is not supported. But if the alarm system dials the 800 number shouldnt that work just like an analog phone?? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated...

jeffb666

join:2005-02-15
La Grange Park, IL

Re: [ATT CV] ATT CallVantage.... does it work with ADT Alarm sys

I don't think there is any problem getting it to work.

The problem is that the Alarm is a LIFE SAVING device..
And VOIP is never going to be as reliable as Plain old Cooper..

So if there was a fire.. and the alarm couldn't call out..

ADT doesn't not want to be responsible for deaths or injuries because the phone didn't work..

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to tekboy
63% of phone lines are cut before the burglar enters the property, cell/radio is needed.

jeffb666

join:2005-02-15
La Grange Park, IL
This is a good point too..

Probably the better point to it all..

My phone lines can be disconnected with a screwdriver or just cut because they are right at the side of the house..

That is why I went with the cell add on..

tekboy

@rr.com
I have a tamper switch on my phone box and cable box. So it will sound the alarm if it is opened. I purposely hid the "alarm line" and placed a "dummy" line to give me "several seconds" it needs to connect to the alarm company and notify of an event. But the real curiosity is will my ADT alarm system even connect to the VOIP ATT Callvantage and dial out?? Anyone have this type of set up??

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
kudos:3
My next door neighbor has it (at my urging) and now their ADT connection does not work. I think it has either to do with the wiring sequence in the RJ-45 Jack they use (or is it a RJ-31) to seize the line to dial out, or (this is an easy one boys and girls)....The ADT box may be dial pulsing rotary dial while the CallVantage line and most other Voip companies only support Touch Tone DTMF.

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH
It's not the dialing out that is the big issue. The problem is that there are so many CHEAPER than CHEAP alarm companies that are depending on Contact ID format so that they can get cut rate monitoring at around ~$1.50/month per subscriber.
You can't always count on the codec being used between you and the central alarm monitoring company.
Scroll down to the bottom of this if you have any questions:
»www.siaonline.org/standards/dc/m ··· 1104.pdf

Just another hint about signing contracts: If you need a magnifying lens to read the small print, then you are a fool for signing it.

Just my opinion!

The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium
join:2001-07-24
Atlantic, IA
reply to tekboy
Check out »www.nextalarm.com they have a solution just for VOIP, uses a PAP2.

I could not be happier.

tekboy

@rr.com
Could I just buy the PAP2 directly from Linksys and configure it to work with my ADT alarm system???

tekboy

@rr.com
Voiplover, thanks for the link. It was very interesting to read. I guess it boils down to everyone agreeing to it.

tekboy

@rr.com
reply to The Beer
said by The Beer:

Check out »www.nextalarm.com they have a solution just for VOIP, uses a PAP2.

I could not be happier.
Is that with an ADT alarm system??

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
reply to toby
Yep, a group of people tried to break into my house a while back and they cut the phone . But when they broke the back window that set off my ADT alarm that called the monitoring center by the Cingular cellular transmitter that ADT installed for backup. If it were just hooked up to my phone line it would not have notified the police. ANd I only pay $10 extra a month to have my alarm monitored through the cell service. OP: you might want to check with your alarm company to have them install a cellular transmitter to your alarm because even with a regular landline it might come in handy.

The Beer
Premium
Atlantic, IA
reply to tekboy
No their PAP2 connects directly to their server.

If you have a ADT system odds are good it's Ademco and would support Nextalarm, If you don't have a contract with ADT.

Nextalarm has one of the lowest monitor prices out there.

As far as stats go, I remember reading the stickers are more effective than the alarms themselves...

Personally, I get a $95 discount for having the alarm system and Nextalarm is $108, so for $13 well worth it.

voiplover
Premium
Portsmouth, NH
NextAlarms prices seemed to have doubled. What do you think they are going to do next year???

The Beer
Premium
Atlantic, IA
IIRC it was $8.95 before the price increase and $11.95 now, either way isn't ADT about $30 a month?

NYC Girl
Premium
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY
reply to NY Tel
You have to contact your alarm company to test the system and they will also implement some sort programming to get it to work. I don't have Call Advantage but that's what I had to do w/Digital Phone.

tekboy

@rr.com
said by NYC Girl:

You have to contact your alarm company to test the system and they will also implement some sort programming to get it to work. I don't have Call Advantage but that's what I had to do w/Digital Phone.
I called ADT and they said it doesnt support my alarm. They wanted me to fork over $250.00 for a wireless unit and pay an extra $5.00 a month for monitoring fee. I'm looking into another alternative. I looked at www.alarm.com and www.nextalarm they offered an ABN (Alarm Broadband Network alternative)... any other suggestions for a good alarm monitoring company that offers a better deal on equipment to connect to voip only and a decent monthly deal besides ADT would be appreciated.

voiplover
Premium
Portsmouth, NH
Why don't you become a member here so people can IM you privately.

NYC Girl
Premium
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY
reply to tekboy
OOOO, NOOOOOO, that's too bad. I am using Protect America. You get free equipment and my monthly monitoring fee is $29.99. They are based out in TX somewhere.

»www.protectamerica.com/google?Si ··· D=939587

johnrexz

join:2001-07-14
Palmdale, CA
reply to voiplover
I found from another installer on another forum what he did.
"I have been able to get some systems to communicate by looping the return into the feed. (Take the yellow and black on the panel and jumping them to the green and red.) This is not the "correct" way to do this but it works. The problem is that you then loose line seziure. I have had luck with this when the customer does not want to have a POTS line. Just my 2 Cents."

I might try this and see if it works. I'll keep you folks updated. I have also done some research about honeywells new 7845i-GSM (broadband and wireless connection)it has the capability to connect to your broadband network and can send the signals thru the cell sites with no charge. I have read that their are two types of wireless (cell sites) set up in my area. AlarmNet M and AlarmNet C. This network does not charge on your cellular phone call and their is no cellular charges incurred. I have to do some more research if this equipment works with my Ademco/ADT Safewatch Pro 2000 Panel.

voiplover
Premium
Portsmouth, NH
johnrexz, This is by far one of the best sites on the net for explaining it.

»michigantelephone.mi.org/distrib ··· ute.html

The Beer
Premium
Atlantic, IA
reply to tekboy
I hate to keep playing Nextalarm fan boy however when you buy the ABN you get 3 months monitoring free.

The net cost is like $50, AKA the same price as the PAP2 is anyway.

I just don't understand, are you locked in a contract at ADT or something?

I don't see any possible way Nextalarm could be beat, they even have a free package. Don't get much less than that.

Guess that's just me.

odinb

join:2001-11-26
Frisco, TX
The Beer, if he likes paying $35 a month (or whatever fantasy-rate they charge) let him do that. You and I will stay with Nextalarm.

On the occasions that I have had the alarm go off, Nextalarm has responded within 1-3 minutes.

We also know as earlier that an alarm monitoring service is not safer than the weakest link, and in this case this is the wires being cut on the outside. So if you did not have wireless monitoring for your ADT service (or whatever service), Nextalarm is comparable in security in my opinion.

Difference is that you and I have a little money left over at the end of the month for other stuff (a beer?).
--
Type "miserable failure" in Google

randym435

join:2004-09-22
Pittsburg, CA
reply to tekboy
here the issue.. with ip phone and alarms.. is when the alarm go off it kill all phone extension so unless it connected as the first device it will try and kill the iphone adapter as an extension.. there by not calling any one..it more of a power thing than any thing else..

johnrexz

join:2001-07-14
Palmdale, CA
reply to The Beer
said by The Beer:

I hate to keep playing Nextalarm fan boy however when you buy the ABN you get 3 months monitoring free.

The net cost is like $50, AKA the same price as the PAP2 is anyway.

I just don't understand, are you locked in a contract at ADT or something?

I don't see any possible way Nextalarm could be beat, they even have a free package. Don't get much less than that.

Guess that's just me.
Its not that I am locked to the ADT contract. I have had very good experience with them. They have several local monitoring stations compared to other places where it is out of state. The technical guys are very knowledgeable. The response time is great. When my ADT alarm goes off it will notify me first and my wife and if they cannot get a hold of me, they will dispatch the sheriff and at the same time call several people in the order I have it listed with them. They also have the lifetime warranty on the equipment. IF it ever malfunction it is repaired or replaced for free with no additional charge. I am not familiar with Nextalarm's history so I can't comment on it. I am still doing my research regarding the monitoring stations. I know paying the $29.99 is hefty but when it comes to dependability they are on top of my list. I have tried other monitoring companies and so far none can match ADT's response times and professionalism. I have spoken to one of the ADT technical guys today and he tells me that my VOIP ATT/Callvantage should work with no problem. He even told me how to wire it properly so that it will seize the line and dial out to ADT. As soon as I get my TA installed and tested I will post my results. In the meantime, I will still be doing my due diligence in researching other monitoring stations, what fees they charge and what they can offer. I thank you for informing about Nextalarms website. I will be sure to put them on my list to call and ask questions. By the way I have found a site that specializes on setting up an adaptor to "seize the line" and it takes the pain of wiring your voip with the RJ31x connector. If you folks are interested here is the site to look at. »www.lineseizure.com/bw1.htm This adaptor will work well with the VOIP system set. There are other products that they offer when it comes to setting up your VOIP to seize the line when the alarm goes off. But I find that the BW-1 line seizure is the one for single VOIP set up.

voiplover
Premium
Portsmouth, NH
said by johnrexz:

...I have spoken to one of the ADT technical guys today and he tells me that my VOIP ATT/Callvantage should work with no problem...
Was that ADT technical guy rolling on the floor laughing?

ADT uses Contact ID. Read the bottom of this link: »www.siaonline.org/standards/dc/m ··· 1104.pdf

The device that you refer to, looks like it is more of a problem then just connecting it right.
There is a good explanation here: »michigantelephone.mi.org/distrib ··· ute.html
And the info is free of charge!