Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robscullion
Premium
join:2001-12-07
Philadelphia, PA

Alternatives?

So I'm guessing a lot of us are thinking about moving to another provider. Anyone know any good alternatives that would be similar to SE?

For DSL, LBDSL looks a lot like SE in terms of static IPs, servers etc. At least on their business lines. Anyone have any experience with them?

Of the VoIP side, I'm kind of stumped. Vonage is sort of uncertain at this point and even if they weren't, they don't/can't offer QoS guarantees like SE. I might just call it a day and move back to POTS if there's not a decent alternative.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

said by robscullion:

So I'm guessing a lot of us are thinking about moving to another provider. Anyone know any good alternatives that would be similar to SE?
Unless you mean "similar to the *old* SE" I'm not sure why you'd want something "similar to SE". Any way, if you find it, let me know. Otherwise, I maybe looking at Cox's business offerings, at least until FIOS comes my way.
--
Everyday, thousands of new cars are delivered to their new owners with poorly-selected radio station presets.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to robscullion

I'll likely be looking at LBDSL too. The review page on this site seems a little more...dispositive over the past few months and I've not seen Brent around the various forums. I imagine it's a 'family' company, maybe a couple employees...I dunno how well they'd deal with a large customer influx.
But I'll consider them should my SE connection go to pot (so to speak).

I'd consider...I think...Earthlink too.

Both are Covad resellers. And I'll also consider switching directly to Covad, though it would actually be more a bit expensive.

I'll likely go with FIOS but kinda depends on investigating their ToS.
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

L0GiX
When all else fails, theres always L0GiX
Premium
join:2000-06-30
South Bay,CA

LBDSL looks promising. I'm also looking at and dreading Comcast's Workplace.

I sure hope that BB doesn't destroy what has been a happy relationship between SE and I.
--
Nothing says lovin' like mutton.

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

1 recommendation

reply to KoolMoe

I'm still around

Most of our users lately don't come to this site, so the number of reviews on this site is lower then in past years, but we are still around, and will have no problem helping new, and current users.

Brent
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

rexc

@bathsavings.com
reply to robscullion

what we need is a priceline for speakeasy replacement..

"Who can give me a 3mbit/768k line w/static IP for $xx per month with no setup fee's?"

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ
reply to robscullion

Not Verizon FIOS, alas. It looks like their cheapest static IP package is $99/month and only includes one static IP. Bah.

Time to start my long-put-off process of migrating my email to my own domain.

curmudge1

@columbia.edu
reply to robscullion

Re: Alternatives? with IMAP email!

I want to keep using IMAP email; ISP backs up email, same email folders from IMAP client as from Webmail, Imap clients on different systems see the same email folders.

First look at LBSL only says POP3 email on the SOHO package -- BAH (as someone said about Verizon Business FIOS).

Maybe I'll have to host my own email (sigh) on Business FIOS. I'd rather pay someone else to manage the email server, but Verizon has been SOOO clueless about email, wrt misusing "anti-Spam" techniques.

--
Dave in NJ

houstontarge
Target

join:2005-01-08
Houston, TX
reply to robscullion

Re: Alternatives?

This whole thing is very depressing. Maybe I'm blind, but as I read the press release, not ONCE did they even mention or acknowledge their residential users, it's like we don't exist! I know their focus has been building the business side, but to completely ignore "the ones that brought you" sends a clear signal to me. If that's their attitude toward us, then we will have no choice but to seek alternatives and LBDSL & AT&T(yuck), & Earthlink seems to be at the top of the list so far. But I don't have any detailed info on them. Anyway, like Xmas time, I'm going to start my shopping early.

Also: since SE has abandoned this site as well, why not use it to list alternatives,availability, pricing ect? Maybe it's not allowed?
If it is allowed, I would really like some detailed info from LBDSL service in the Houston area to start with. I currently have the Gamer Pro Package, OneLink, Static IP, 6/768, TS server & a file cloud account. With TT&L,I pay $130.+ per month and am now willing to change. LBDSL, can you beat or match this service in the Houston area?

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA

said by houstontarge:

Also: since SE has abandoned this site as well, why not use it to list alternatives,availability, pricing ect? Maybe it's not allowed?
If it is allowed, I would really like some detailed info from LBDSL service in the Houston area to start with. I currently have the Gamer Pro Package, OneLink, Static IP, 6/768, TS server & a file cloud account. With TT&L,I pay $130.+ per month and am now willing to change. LBDSL, can you beat or match this service in the Houston area?
Well, since what's "allowed" is determined by the moderators and the "owners" of this forum seem to have become absentee slumlords, I think we're pretty much free to do with it what we wish. It's not like a SpeakEasy representative is going to notice and delete it.
--
Everyday, thousands of new cars are delivered to their new owners with poorly-selected radio station presets.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to houstontarge

Nothing against LBDSL at all, but not considering a switch to Covad directly? If not, I imagine due to pricing?
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

houstontarge
Target

Houston, TX

said by KoolMoe:

Nothing against LBDSL at all, but not considering a switch to Covad directly? If not, I imagine due to pricing?
KM
Oh yes, I will definitely look at Covad as well, and thanks for reminding me that they should be part of my options

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI
reply to houstontarge

I would be happy to assist you, or any other user who has any questions about our services, or the process on changing ISP's.

However, I don't feel comfortable doing so on another ISP's Forum. So I welcome anyone to feel free to PM me via this site, ask any questions over at our forum @ this site »/forum/cover,1896, contact me via phone, or email via our site.

Brent

russotto

West Orange, NJ

Aw, it's not like they're listening. The 'rents aren't home, crack open a beer and have a seat on the good couch. Put your feet up if you like

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA

said by russotto:

Aw, it's not like they're listening. The 'rents aren't home, crack open a beer and have a seat on the good couch. Put your feet up if you like
Dude: the `rents haven't been home for over a year. At this point, it's "abandonment".

Translation, "feel free to post what you want." You don't necessarily have to push a sales pitch, but you could always answer any questions asked. For instance, if I wanted:

•7/1 or 3/1 DSL
•8 static IPs (preferably a routeable block)
•No closed ports and ability to run my own servers
•NNTP protocol

Would you have something available? If so, how much would it set me back a month?
--

houstontarge
Target

Houston, TX

1 edit

Well, I just chatted with a nice lady from Covad via their website. They can offer me 6/768 package for 99.95 but only on a shared line, and avoided the question about using my current dry line, which is a Covad line. The most they will provision on their dryline is 3/768....that does not compute

QUOTE:
However, I don't feel comfortable doing so on another ISP's Forum. So I welcome anyone to feel free to PM me via this site, ask any questions over at our forum @ this site »Lightning Bolt DSL, contact me via phone, or email via our site.

I can understand that but a simple yes or no and a link to the requested info would be helpful.

PetDude
Premium,ExMod 2001-10
join:2001-02-20
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Please give LBDSL See Profile a break. He is trying to stay within the rules of this site and not get himself in trouble for spamming his services here. He has given everyone a very easy way to get their questions answered.
--
Free your mind and your ass will follow

russotto

West Orange, NJ

I've posted over on the LBDSL forum. Checking for myself, it looks like Cyberonic and LBDSL are the two main options I have if I stick with Covad.

For email, I'll probably just once and for all switch my mail to my own domain (I have russotto.net and russotto.org) and host that at 1&1. Then in case of ISP collapse in the future, no more painful e-mail address switching. In fact, I think I'll start that immediately.

houstontarge
Target

Houston, TX
reply to PetDude

said by PetDude:

Please give LBDSL See Profile a break. He is trying to stay within the rules of this site and not get himself in trouble for spamming his services here. He has given everyone a very easy way to get their questions answered.
No worries dude, I finally got the answers on their offerings,.....6/768 shared 79.99
6/768 dedicated 99.99 "or thereabouts"
"could have been .95"
I wanted the dedicated line I have with speakeasy used, but now I think about it, with shared I could run them side by side for the trial period. No rush on this anyway, at least I hope not

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One
kudos:1
reply to robscullion

Thanks for this thread.

LBDSL looks pretty good so far...3.0/384 for what I'm paying now for 1.5/384. Tempting since I'm already close to the CO.

Welcome to other options if anyone's got 'em.
--
I cannot stand demagoguery. If you disagree with my stance, you're a blithering twit. You're not a twit, are you?

houstontarge
Target

Houston, TX

1 recommendation

I think this is well worth mentioning: in my talks with LBDSL I found out their stated or quoted price IS the bottom line!!! Thats after all taxes & fees. For me, LBDSL is looking better & better

metrodust
Hey Thats Mine

join:1999-12-10
Seattle, WA

now does LBDSL have multiple PoPs? that would be a concern for me if my first hope was 1500 miles away.
--
When you are leaving.. heaven is a distance not a place. --Carissas Weird

houstontarge
Target

Houston, TX

1 edit

said by metrodust:

now does LBDSL have multiple PoPs? that would be a concern for me if my first hope was 1500 miles away.
Well, I don't know all their PoP locations, but I'm in Houston and he said they have one here
I suggest contacting Brent at the link he provided.

metrodust
Hey Thats Mine

join:1999-12-10
Seattle, WA

i just called, and they do have a PoP in Seattle.

robscullion
Premium
join:2001-12-07
Philadelphia, PA
reply to robscullion

I've been doing some research along the lines of hosting services and found some pleasant surprises out there. True dedicated hosting is still prohibitively expensive for a hobbiest ($80/month and up). There are, hoewever, a few hosts, such as linode.com and a ridiculous looking place named vpsvillage.com that offer VPS hosting for decent prices. linode uses UML to give users what is basically a virtual machine for ~$15/month. vpsvillage and a few others are actually offering Xen based hosting, which seems much more attractive for as little as $5/month. In both cases you get effectively full admin rights over a linux VM, which is what I think is required to truly replace my current home hosting setup.

So it looks like my bail-out plan might now be hosting+POTS+generic broadband, probably Comcast (shudder!). I'll stick with SE for a bit, but it seems prudent to have a decently researched "Plan B" in my back pocket. LBDSL is still a possibility, but the above is actually cheaper and, most likely, better all around. It might even be better than my current SE situation.

Just thought I'd post my findings. I figure I'm not the only one looking at moving away from home-hosting as part of an "escape" strategy.

oddhack

join:2004-11-28
Mountain View, CA
reply to robscullion

Today I switched over to Sonic.net, after 6 years with Speakeasy. Best Buy provided the final kick in the pants - better to jump before I was forced - but it had been coming for a while due to SE's cost structure and loss of focus on residential customers. Can't say there was anything specific they did wrong, but in the end it just wasn't enough - and I'm getting 3.0/512k from Sonic for less than I was paying SE for 1.5/384 (even after the teaser rate expires).

I wish the SE support people good luck under the new regime. They always treated me well and as an intelligent person.

Sonic appears to have the same virtues of small size, respect for customers, and savvy support crew that SE did when I started with them, so hopefully the new relationship will last another 6 years or more.

jofallon
Premium
join:2002-01-05
Oak Park, IL

If everything goes well, I'll go with Lightning Bolt myself in the next few weeks. Sonic.net doesn't do Illinois. DSL Extreme could not do an ISP switch at my address, which is odd, since they would use Covad also. But whatever; they should know. Speakeasy's service has been great (they faxed the consent to the switch to LB within a couple hours of me faxing LB my order). But I can get (in theory, I know) 6/768 service for $20-30 a month less than 3.0/768 from Speakeasy. Add the Best Buy purchase, and Speakeasy's deemphasis on residential customers in the last year or two, and I'd rather make a switch now than wait till things get bad ( and maybe Best Buy makes switching a lot harder).

houstontarge
Target

Houston, TX

I'm not leaving just yet, but when I do it will most likely be LB as well. I talked to them & visited their site, and other than the hassle of moving my E mail again, I think the connection & TOS might be about the same. Except I'll have to spend about the same to different accounts instead of the 1 bill I pay now, (server space & TS server)

oddhack

join:2004-11-28
Mountain View, CA
reply to jofallon

said by jofallon:

Add the Best Buy purchase, and Speakeasy's deemphasis on residential customers in the last year or two, and I'd rather make a switch now than wait till things get bad ( and maybe Best Buy makes switching a lot harder).
Ditto. And, judging by what Sonic's sales folks told me, there are a lot of other residential customers jumping for exactly the same reason. Which may be a plus from BB's perspective - gets rid of low-margin residential business without needing to do anything other than be who they are.

jofallon
Premium
join:2002-01-05
Oak Park, IL

I'm paying Speakeasy around $100 a month, not including fees for 3.0/768. LBDSL, DSL Extreme, Sonic, ATT(SBC) and others all charge significantly less for the same or equivalent service (judging by reviews, anyhow); generally higher speeds. I'm guessing SE has a decent enough margin on what I'm paying them, anyhow.

If BB wanted to be rid of the lower-margin residential customers, though, that would be in line with what I've seen from SE in the last year or two. Tacking VOIP onto the DSL might well do something special for the profits, though I never looked into that.