how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

magilladke

join:2005-12-07
Collegeville, PA

Verizon vs Comcast Pricing

Trying to compare apples to apples (but not quite available) between Verizon and Comcast pricing.

I know everyone's situation is a little different and somethings mean more to others, but here is the info I've gathered.

Say 3 TVs and 1 of those is HD TV.

FIOS
$43 - TV w/ HD and Digital
$10 - (2) STB Boxes
$12 - HD DVR
$65 - Total Price

Comcast
$67 - Digital Basic (needed if you want the DVR)
$5 - HD
$12 - HD DVR
$84 - Total Price

So I thought maybe the Tripple Play would work out different. Here is what I found (via Phone calls to Comcast).

FIOS
$99 - Phone,Internet, TV
$10 - (2) STBs (have seen references to 1 free, unsure)
$12 - HD DVR
$121 - Total Price

Comcast
$130 - Phone, Internet, TV
$5 - HD
$12 - HD DVR
$147 - Total Price

NOTE - This price includes 3 premium channels. I could not get a price from them for HD/Digital w/o it in a package.

Just trying to get some feedback if this sounds correct to other people or they have different pricing input.

Thanks.

scottbrown77

join:2007-02-15
Downingtown, PA

I think the triple plays are about the same but I don't think verizon is offering it in PA yet. Al al cart verizon is cheaper for TV and internet. Phone is VOIP for comca$t and Verizon is fiber. I just don't like the fact that Comca$t has been ripping us off for all that many years and now they are lowering their rates.

Verizon TV is better(picture and more HD channels) and cheaper than Comca$t. Verizon internet is cheap and signal strength is much better. Phone is even if you need it.

magilladke

Collegeville, PA

I think it would come out to $124 w/o the "package" so that's still good.

Thanks for the response.

synapse2

join:2006-01-30
Seattle, WA
reply to magilladke

Comcast 100% Digital Basic is $50.25 not $67, also the $5 HD fee you have listed is included in the HD DVR lease fee.

50 100% Digital Basic
12 HD DVR
5 Additional digital outlet
$67 total

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

3 edits

said by synapse2:

Comcast 100% Digital Basic is $50.25 not $67, also the $5 HD fee you have listed is included in the HD DVR lease fee.

50 100% Digital Basic
12 HD DVR
5 Additional digital outlet
$67 total
Maybe that is the pricing where you are, but it's not here. Remember, every Comcast system prices their packages differently, depending on the their cost structure, the competition, and what they think that market will bear.

Around here, Comcast Digital Classic is $69/mo and Digital Silver with HBO is $89/mo. A standard STB is included, but if you want the DVR, that costs an extra $12.95/mo (previously $9.95/mo). The charge is $10.70 for a second outlet with a STB.

scottbrown77

Downingtown, PA
reply to synapse2

I think that you are talking about digital starter. I have that and pay $53.20 (it includes one mini STB. You only get digital channels up to 99, weather and some other local channels. Full Digital is somewhere between $60 and $70 plus the HD STD box to get all digital and HD channels. Verizon does not make you pay extra for digital channels because it is a digital system and offer some analog channels because they have too.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to magilladke

the op is in the same area as me. the hd is included with the dvr for 11.95. he can get the triple play for 129 which includes all the premiums except cinamx. if he orders it he can also get cinemax thrown in free by asking the rep to put in comments that all the premiums will be included. the price would be good for 2 years. add the 11.95 on top of the 129 and thats what the triple play will cost you with all the premiums. so figure 140 a month for everything they have. if you want im me with a contact number and i can have a comcast sales rep call you. the other promo available is the 99 dollar promo. its not near as good when you consider you get all the premiums plus all the digital channels for the extra 30 dollars a month. the 99 which is what basically in your comparison is 33-33-33 a month. only if you order the phone thru comcast will you get that deal tho. the pricing you have listed for comcast isnt triple play pricing but video only pricing. just call and ask for triple play and you should get them answers.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to magilladke

opps just noticed you had 2 sets of comparisons. the second is pretty accurate. just drop the hd charge off comcast and im pretty sure the dvr is more then 12 dollars from verizon.the 20 dollars less for verizon comes from no premiums being offered on verizons pricing.

FXSTC

join:2007-03-02

Click for full size
Click for full size
Roddy,Roddy,Roddy. Comcast is a rip. Here's my bill, 2 of them.

When they reduced my DVR rate they increased my outlet rate. I cant get stand alone HBO it's included in some croc of shit digital package. Their billing structure is just simply erroneous.

Furthermore Verizon is cheaper right out of the gate. Comcast may reduce pricing in Vz video infiltrated towns but that to me just suggests they've been over charging for years. Vz picture quality is unmatched and bandwidth up and down streams make the VOD work like a charm. Comcast VOD takes forever to browse through menu, never mind load a movie. You'd have to be brainwashed or near dead to think that Comcast compares to FiOs. Let us know when Comcast upgrades to PON technology.

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to synapse2

The $67 is accurate for our area. I know they have a Digital Starter package that is less, but you don't get digital channels (funny eh) above 100 (or 101)? It basically gives you "On Demand".

The rep told me I couldn't have the DRV with the Digital Starter package since it wasn't digital ... weird? The reason being since it wasn't digital, the Digital Video Recorder (DVR) wasn't available.

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to rody_44

So you're saying the $5 for HD is not accurate? I called 1.800.COMCAST yesterday and asked the specific question. I'm really not intersted in premium channels. I have 100 channels and I watch 10 of them anyhow.

I am intersted in HD and the DVR though. I also didn't include the setup fees $30 and $20 for phone? Not sure if that is 100% accurate. Something about porting your exisiting # for $$.

Thanks for the response!!!!!

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to FXSTC

Looks like you have a DVR w/the Digital Basic pacage which is different than what they told me yesterday (wtf).

Execellent post, thanks!

rosh400

join:2004-01-14
Potomac, MD

I'm switched to FIOS on Tuesday. I have no premiums, two SD STBs and two HD DVRs. I am paying $6 less per month than Comcast and that was for Comcast's expanded analog service and only 1 DVR. I did manage to sneak one DVR through the gate with only analog service. The VZ price included a $5 per month discount because i have the internet service, and a $9.99 per month discount because I signed up for one year.

So after a year I will pay $4 more per month but get twice as many channels (including more HD channels - two PBS instead of one, HDnet and HDnet movies instead of on INHD channel, and UHD), one more DVR, far better SD picture quality, and somewhat better HD picture quality. In another year in Montgomery County MD, Comcast is going to look at their bottom line and WHOA, WHAT HAPPENED. It will be interesting to see how a company that is not used to competing will compete.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to magilladke

like i said if you want all the premiums and digital channels with the triple play. IM me, forget what other people are trying to bullshit you with. if you want it i can have a comcast rep call you. and no the hd is not included if you dont have the dvr service but it is included with the dvr service which is 11.95 a month over the 33.oo a month promo. like i said i recommend the 129 a month promo with the extra 11.95 dvr service. that can get you every single channel comcast has but not the sports package. thats 141 a month for basic- standard- digital plus- hbo-starz-encore-showtime-cinemax-with dvr service. comcast phone service- comcast internet service. and yes its cheaper then verizon. its a triple play price only which comcast has only offered for around 3 months. as far as only being available in towns where fios is available. check and you will see verizon isnt available here. but yes i have it. i will also be happy to pass any persons number over to the comcast rep that signed me up. now listen or dont doesnt matter to me but i can say she would be happy to sign anyone up in either bucks or montgomery county, pa. and no verizon cant touch that price when you consider the extra premium channels you get. but im pretty sure the verizon dvr alone is going to have you up in that same range without the premium channels. you could probably talk her into the dvr service with the 99 dollar plan with digital but she would have to push that thru.

FXSTC

1 recommendation

said by rody_44:

IM me, forget what other people are trying to bullshit you with. and yes its cheaper ,thenTHAN verizon.
Yeah but Comcast has a lot of upgrading to do to even come close to Vz QoS. What's bullshit,besides my bills. The same exact service I have w/Comcast plus Cinemax would cost me $98.84 w/Vz. Vz gives you more HBO's and Cinemax. Comcast doesn't compare when you get down to the wire.

Rody youre not a sales rep, though Comcast does need help selling their Legacy service (FiOS sells itself)and if you need some job security when Vz comes through your town I can call the regional hiring office and help get you set up with a fios job. She/he wouldnt mind helping you out and if you want I can give them your #.(sound familiar)

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to rody_44

first, thanks for the posts! i do appreciate it.

one thing you said:
"but im pretty sure the verizon dvr alone is going to have you up in that same range without the premium channels" - the prices are in my initial email. there is almost a $20 difference (big).

i'll call again and see what they can do for the $99 + dvr. i know some people are intersted in the preimium channels (which is cool), but like i said, i am not.

once again thanks!

rosh400

Potomac, MD

1 recommendation

reply to rody_44

Yo Roddy, is comcast paying you a finder's fee for each customer you refer. Quit the hard sell man.

scottbrown77

Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

All that said, why would we stay with a company that has been ripping us off for many years? Even if Comca$tlowers their prices to compete with VZ, they have been too high for many YEARS.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by scottbrown77:

All that said, why would we stay with a company that has been ripping us off for many years? Even if Comca$tlowers their prices to compete with VZ, they have been too high for many YEARS.
Exactly!

BTW, I just got my first bill with FIOS TV on it. My TV monthly is $116.91 which is for 2 HD STB's and 4 SD STB's, FIOS Premier, Movie Package, and the HBO/Cinemax Combo. There really is no comparison, but the old Comcast bill with 1 HD STB w/ Comcast Digital was $90/month. Comcast Digital Platinum w/ 1 HD STB would be $119.05/month, which is more than my FIOS TV bill for 6 TV's. Plus, I've got more channels.
--
So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to magilladke

again john, no it wouldnt. you are stating prices that are not triple play prices. apple and oranges. i will have to go see exactly what verizon would charge me for what i have. lets say they give me the triple play for say 95.00, how much extra would they charge for hbo,starz, cinemax,encore,showtime and TMC. i believe more then the 20.00 comcast charges me for it. thats the triple play price and good for 2 years instead of the 1 for verizon. internets slower but 6-750 is plenty for my needs. all pemiums with a hd dvr from comcast costs with phone and internet costs 141 aomonth with triple play good for 2 years. so someone tell me what verizon costs with one hd dvr and all premiums? not counting the extra stb i need with verizon.

rosh400

Potomac, MD

Even if that was true, I would spend the extra $20 per month to get PQ that is heaven and earth better than Comcast. SD quality on comcast was always fuzzy. FIOS is crystal clear. Like pristine OTA digital signal on every channel. HD is slightly better and as I said for me it's $6 less per month than my expanded basic analog service from Comcast, plus the additional DVR. There's no contest, none whatsoever.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

i think i also would be willing to spend 20 dollars extra if i was in a bad area of comcast, but the fact is we are talking about bucks and montgomery county PA. its not even fair to compare a analog signal to a digital picture and the fact is around here comcast is pretty dam good. although john would be in the weakest areas of the two counties. upper bucks is great, get down to doylestown and down it gets average at best. hd with comcast in either area you couldnt tell which provider you were on. MD, its a known fact comcast has issues down there.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to magilladke

also i checked and it looks like those premiums would cost me in the area of 36.00 a month. now with simple math someone explain how verizon is cheaper? its real simple 129 with all premiums and triple play. what is verizons price with all premiums and triple play? then after considering that consider that the OP is in a area that doesnt offer triple play which means he is paying a pretty hefty price for his verizon phone service.

rosh400

Potomac, MD

1 recommendation

you should change your screen name to shill for comcast.

magilladke

Collegeville, PA
reply to magilladke

Heh, I didn't mean for this thread to be a "comcast stinks" or "verizon stinks" thread.

Without the premiums (trying to do apples to apples) it seems like Verizon has a better deal for 3 TVs with 1 HD.

If you want all the premiums (and about $20 more / month) it seems like Comcast has the better deal.

Strictly speaking by looking at the numbers. I know the debate about picture, all digital, etc is in there.

Thanks again (and again) for the responses!

Any more input on pricing I'm open to more input!

FXSTC

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to rody_44

First off, they can afford to offer you a triple play @ $99 because they're over-charging me and millions of others. Essentially I am paying for your Triple play, and I want my money back BTW w/interest. On a national level Verizon is cheaper, same price for everyone.(video)

Comcast adjusts their price based on the service area. Which in some areas they cant get digital or OD. Vz has a triple play in NJ and where ever else to stay competitive and to satisfy ignorant people(not all) who chose not to understand and appreciate the technology right under their feet at an all ready reasonable/cheaper price.

The Vz architecture/backbone for FiOS is unlike anything Comcast has or will have for at least the next 5yrs. Instead of buying up every mom and pop catv co.,to be the biggest provider, they should of been investing in significant upgrades and reduced pricing. That's what would've made people reluctant to leave them. (P.S. Rody stop slinging youre B.S.) Youre driving down sales!

EDIT> And another thing, Comcast TP is a temporary solution to retain customers because they didnt upgrade their networks. Comcast=Slackers/Robbers. Im sorry but I cant help it!

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 edit
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

again john, no it wouldnt. you are stating prices that are not triple play prices. apple and oranges. i will have to go see exactly what verizon would charge me for what i have. lets say they give me the triple play for say 95.00, how much extra would they charge for hbo,starz, cinemax,encore,showtime and TMC. i believe more then the 20.00 comcast charges me for it. thats the triple play price and good for 2 years instead of the 1 for verizon. internets slower but 6-750 is plenty for my needs. all pemiums with a hd dvr from comcast costs with phone and internet costs 141 aomonth with triple play good for 2 years. so someone tell me what verizon costs with one hd dvr and all premiums? not counting the extra stb i need with verizon.
A few things:

1) I called Comca$t before FIOS TV was available here and they quoted prices and they didn't care about being competetive. Once I had my FIOS TV installed, now they call me offering me better pricing. The prices I quoted are based on what I paid for the service I had from them, and what I was quoted when I called them about upgrading.

2) I don't want VOIP phone service.

3) Comca$t doesn't offer cell phones. We're getting an additional discount because of One-Bill.

4) I've got more Starz, more Encore, more Cinemax, more HBO, more Showtime and more TMC channels than Comca$t offers. But, I've also got a ton of other channels they don't offer.

5) My FIOS TV pricing isn't a teaser triple-play price that has an expiration date.

6) Most importantly, I'm happier with my service than I ever was with Comcast. They will never see me again as a customer.

--
So put me on a highway
And show me a sign

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to rosh400

said by rosh400:

QFT
--
So put me on a highway
And show me a sign

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to rosh400

said by rosh400:

Why? There are some customers (primarily those with more than four TVs) for whom Comcast (not VZ FIOS TV) is the better deal. Even though Comcast now requires CableCARD or an STB to view premium channels, so does VZ's FIOS (draw). VZ charges more on a per-STB basis than Comcast (advantage: Comcast), though VZ has more channels and lower rates (advantage: VZ). At some point (and it's different in the case of individual customers) the lower rates are offset by the increased STB leasing fees that VZ charges vs. Comcast (I'm in an area where the two companies compete head-to-head, and because of the number of TVs we have (six), and the *lack* of premium channels subscribed to (none), Comcast is considerably cheaper than FIOS TV, head to head, *entirely* because of STB requirements and lease fees for them, even without DVRs in the mix; adding DVR capability, whether MR or otherwise, only exacerbates the situation).
I have nothing against FIOS (or VZ, for that matter), and I'm actually a pretty happy Comcast cable TV (and CHSI) customer. However, I'm no more willing to overpay for service than anyone else, and I *have* been investigating FIOS (both Internet and TV) in terms of value for the money. While FIOS *Internet* is actually still a relative bargain (FIOS 15/2 is a scant $2/month more than CHSI's base rate, and has over twice as much downstream and six times as much upstream bandwidth), FIOS TV isn't, in my own situation, there yet.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to magilladke

reply to larryd517
Re: Comcast Triple Play

Just placed the order for the triple play. didn't get any special deal other than the 3 services for $99 ($109 for digital plus). Still a good deal for a year. I was glad that she allowed me to sign up for this being a current customer (i know there are ways around it like threatening to cancel, but i hate going through those routes). Install in about 2 weeks. it seems this post would be the cheapest comcast plan that you could recieve the dvr with, (if your local system requires a digital tier for dvr) there is ways around it but that would require some bartering, so in your case with dvr would be 121.a month . im not being a comcast shill. im just giving him the facts. this thread would probably answer any of your questions regarding comcast and triple play »Comcast Triple Play it appears to differ in chicago tho.