Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to magilladke

Premium Member

to magilladke
said by magilladke:

Tell them to come to my house with those prices
Just call them. Tell them the prices you want to pay and that you are a FIOS customer. They will give you just about anything. HSI 16/1 for $19.99 for 1 year... not a problem. Cable with all the premiums, plus DVR, and another HD box for $81/mo/1yr bring it on.

The only product they won't heavily discount is CDV. $29.99 is the floor on that one plus $3 for modem rental.

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13

How's VoicePulse over your FIOS connection, Hooper? I've been tremendously successfuly with ViaTalk over FIOS, and I feel like had I stayed with Comcast HSI that it might not have been so good.
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper

Premium Member

said by kyler13:

How's VoicePulse over your FIOS connection, Hooper? I've been tremendously successfuly with ViaTalk over FIOS, and I feel like had I stayed with Comcast HSI that it might not have been so good.
Funny you mention that. I dropped Voicepulse because I really needed/wanted outgoing caller-id with name service. They never could provide this for me. 3 years with them, and I left over that if you can believe it. My fiance's family uses it on their FIOS line now without issue. Before when they had Comcast HSI is was unusable in the afternoon and evenings because of the cable connection. They switched to FIOS and it worked beautifully from the get go.

Believe it or not I now use CDV for phone. I really miss the call filters and web based widgets , but it has been extremely reliable and behaves exactly like a POTS line. I really like it. The price isn't cheapest, but since I rack up around 500+ minutes a month to Canada it is cheaper than Verizon.
magilladke
join:2005-12-07
Collegeville, PA

magilladke to Hooper

to Hooper
Everytime I've called it's only been the best availalbe deal at the time. I haven't found anything close to the deal quoted.

I'll probably still give it a try

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to JohnA4

to JohnA4
said by JohnA4:

Are you rody's "straight man" or what?
That, sir, is not only uncalled-for, but rude. He stated, quite plainly, that Comcast made him an offer he couldn't, in all fairness, pass up. You can hate Comcast (even though I'm a former Comcaster, I, personally, have no animus against the company or how they treated me as a *customer*), but when you start making personal attacks like that, you *will* catch heat. You make another comment like that, I *will* report it to the moderator.
rosh400
join:2004-01-14
Potomac, MD

rosh400 to kyler13

to kyler13
I switched to Voicepulse in October and have no issues with running on FIOS. It ran fine with the Dlink router. It runs fine with the Actiontec. The only problem I have is when I use my lotus notes client to connect remotely to work email. Notes must be a bandwidth hog because I do get some break up. Regular surfing and email does not cause a problem. I am trying to get some assistance on using the Quality of Service settings in the Actiontec to reserve sufficient bandwidth for Voicepulse.
FXSTC
join:2007-03-02

FXSTC to PGHammer

to PGHammer
Im sure your bark is worse than your bite and I also think you need to check the meaning of the words before you go barking. Here's a little help »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St ··· ight_man. So now, what's there to get all worked up about. Tone it down!Fella.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

When you all but accuse someone of being a Comcast (or other cable company) shill, simply for not passing up a great offer, I tend to wonder about how *unbiased* your opinion of the companies concerned is. And when you let such a bias get in the way of your objectivity, expect to get barked at.
rosh400
Potomac, MD

1 recommendation

rosh400

My beef with Roddy was not his opinion of the offer but rather pushing people to PM him to get the Comcast Reps phone number. IMO, I don't think that kind of commercial activity is appropriate on these forums. Others are free to disagree.

BBR_InsUW
WT or CoH thats my Game

join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA

BBR_InsUW to PGHammer

to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:
said by JohnA4:

That, sir, is not only uncalled-for, but rude. He stated, quite plainly, that Comcast made him an offer he couldn't, in all fairness, pass up. You can hate Comcast (even though I'm a former Comcaster, I, personally, have no animus against the company or how they treated me as a *customer*), but when you start making personal attacks like that, you *will* catch heat. You make another comment like that, I *will* report it to the moderator.
Someone call a MOD, well here I am and before anyone gets into an uproar, I will end this part right now
said by JohnA4:

That is a Question and not an attack, now if you dont like the question well that is a personal issue.

So I suggest a few just take a Deep breath and ..... exhale, now repeat till we are all calm.
FXSTC

FXSTC

lol. I dont want to make this a personal attack and mention any names but can you Ban (starts with R and ends in Y) from this thread? lol.
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by FXSTC:

lol. I dont want to make this a personal attack and mention any names but can you Ban (starts with R and ends in Y) from this thread? lol.
Rather than that, just add him to your ignore list. I did that some time back, and life is sooooo much more pleasant now.

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to PGHammer

to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:

He stated, quite plainly, that Comcast made him an offer he couldn't, in all fairness, pass up.
Was that dip talking about me? Didn't even pay him any attention.

I'm not partial to either service. It just needs to a) work, and b) not cost me an arm and a leg. Er, I'll just settle for being cheaper on b). Anyway, my hesitation on Verizon was mainly due to the fact that it still seems to be maturing, and I wasn't interested in going through the switch for a marginal cost savings. Plus, with analog TVs in the house, extra digital boxes seem like a hassle, especially when the box will dwarf the TV (13" TV in the kitchen). Comcast has been good to me for 7 years with HSI and TV. Unfortunately, their HSI recently has become oversubscribed so FIOS internet was a wise switch. I'm satisfied with Comcast TV, and while PQ may not be as good, I haven't anything to compare it with. My main goal here was to reduce my cost appreciably. What I got was significant, and it fell into my lap. Mission accomplished. I'll be shopping again if/when this expires in a year.
magilladke
Collegeville, PA

magilladke

I agree with you. The main reason I am considering FIOS is the price. kyler13 has a great deal, that may change my mind if I can get it. I realize everyone's situation is a little bit different, I have a 13" TV in my office, but probably wouldn't get a box for it. I'd deal with a few basic channels.

Once again, thanks for the good posts!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to kyler13

Premium Member

to kyler13
I would have taken a deal like that as well. Problem was, Comcast didn't give a flying F when I called them BEFORE I could order FIOS TV. Then when we called to cancel, they didn't care either. Once we actually turned in the Comcast STB, the phone started ringing. All of the sudden they wanted to give me a sweetheart deal. Well, FIOS TV was already installed and we were and are quite happy with it.

My beef with them is that they've constantly raised rates, yet post record profits year after year, and although they compete with VZ they aren't held to the same scrutiny by the PUC. On top of all of it, our fat cheesesteak-eating governor is in their back pocket and gives them anything and everything they want.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

You stated that your beef is because they have consistently raised rates, and are not held to the proper scrutiny by the local PUC (which regulates Comcast). Then, by rights, your beef is with the PUC (and your local elected officials, who appointed them) for their NOT doing their duties, which is regulating Comcast, as opposed to Comcast itself (which can only do as much as the local PUC lets them do).
PGHammer

PGHammer to rosh400

to rosh400
He got a great deal, and wants to pass it on. How is that being a Company Shill? In fact, here in this very forum, we trade info on various deals on VZ FIOS; does that make us VZ Shills? Also, there are those in here that would (understandably) have doubts whether the deal he got was genuine; and here he goes with the name, and phone extension, of the CSR In Question that gave him the deal. He basically put up the evidence, so I can't fault him for it. (Further, he did it via PM, so he's not even *close* to violating the rules of DSLR.)
PGHammer

PGHammer to John97

to John97
said by John97:

I would have taken a deal like that as well. Problem was, Comcast didn't give a flying F when I called them BEFORE I could order FIOS TV. Then when we called to cancel, they didn't care either. Once we actually turned in the Comcast STB, the phone started ringing. All of the sudden they wanted to give me a sweetheart deal. Well, FIOS TV was already installed and we were and are quite happy with it.

My beef with them is that they've constantly raised rates, yet post record profits year after year, and although they compete with VZ they aren't held to the same scrutiny by the PUC. On top of all of it, our fat cheesesteak-eating governor is in their back pocket and gives them anything and everything they want.
So you are blaming Comcast for not caring *before* VZ held their feet to the competitive fires. Excuse me, sir; a monopoly business (which Comcast was before VZ's entry) tends to be like that; in fact, VZ was under just as much criticism before competition entered the local phone business (and in the same state). Now the two companies are in each other's businesses, and now we, as consumers, have the advantage.
As to the governor being in Comcast's pocket, in what way is that Comcast's fault? (Also, back before Comcast started providing VoIP, the Commonwealth PUC was accused of being in VZ's pocket for failing to rein in VZ's rate increases for local residential phone service.) In short, our elected officials, that *we* voted into office, fail to do what we elected them to do, and instead of holding them accountable (which they certainly are, if they fail to do what they were elected to do), we instead blame the very companies that benefitted from the elected officials' malfeasance, misfeasance, and general *non-feasance* in public office. No wonder those very same Incumbent Idiots feel safe; we are apparently willing to forgive them darn near anything!
rosh400
Potomac, MD

rosh400 to PGHammer

to PGHammer
I really like FIOS so far but I'm not using this board to make matches. Folks can read my review and call FIOS if they want. Roddy was making the hard sell. That's the difference.
magilladke
Collegeville, PA

magilladke to PGHammer

to PGHammer
what?
FXSTC

1 edit

1 recommendation

FXSTC to PGHammer

to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:

In short, our elected officials, that *we* voted into office, fail to do what we elected them to do, and instead of holding them accountable (which they certainly are, if they fail to do what they were elected to do
I *elect* you to join Rody in another forum on another planet. All those in favor say, "I".

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to rosh400

to rosh400
rosh, he is not the only person that has gotten *overenthusiastic* over a good deal from a provider, whether it's a cable company or a telco, so I can't fault him for it. My complaint was over the *personal* nature of the attack on him. Disagreement and debate is fine; name-calling and baiting is below the belt.
PGHammer

PGHammer to FXSTC

to FXSTC
FXSTC, you complained about Comcast for not giving you a good deal to keep you, and immediately afterward, you complained that Comcast had *bought* the governor of your state. However, you blamed Comcast, not the elected officials that appointed the members of the PUC (for failing to bring Comcast to heel) or the governor (who followed the money, as pols tend to do, unless called on it by those that elected them to office; namely us). All I pointed out is that unless we, as the voters, stay informed and actually do our jobs (including holding the politicians we vote into office accountable for their actions, including voting them out when they don't do what they were elected to do), we have nobody to blame for a shoddy government but ourselves.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to PGHammer

Premium Member

to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:
said by John97:

So you are blaming Comcast for not caring *before* VZ held their feet to the competitive fires. Excuse me, sir; a monopoly business (which Comcast was before VZ's entry) tends to be like that; in fact, VZ was under just as much criticism before competition entered the local phone business (and in the same state). Now the two companies are in each other's businesses, and now we, as consumers, have the advantage.
As to the governor being in Comcast's pocket, in what way is that Comcast's fault? (Also, back before Comcast started providing VoIP, the Commonwealth PUC was accused of being in VZ's pocket for failing to rein in VZ's rate increases for local residential phone service.) In short, our elected officials, that *we* voted into office, fail to do what we elected them to do, and instead of holding them accountable (which they certainly are, if they fail to do what they were elected to do), we instead blame the very companies that benefitted from the elected officials' malfeasance, misfeasance, and general *non-feasance* in public office. No wonder those very same Incumbent Idiots feel safe; we are apparently willing to forgive them darn near anything!
Boy, you sure must be hot under the collar to have replied twice to the same post. I feel special.

Thanks for the education about a monopoly. I never understood the concept before.

I called Comcast THE WEEK BEFORE I ordered my FIOS TV and asked if they had any kind of new pricing or packages in response to FIOS TV coming into the area, the rep told me they weren't concerned about Verizon. Had they thrown me a bone, I would have waited a little and seen how others did with FIOS TV first. But, that didn't happen. They chose to wait until AFTER I had FIOS TV installed AND had returned their STB before they decided to start making offers.

Comcast has been ass raping us for years because they had no competition, so I am glad to be away from them.

Being that you are in MD, I'm inclined to think that you have no idea what's going on up here in PA in regards to Comcast and their relationship with the state government. For starters, they let Rendell (our illustrious governor) play football analyst on CSN every week. Rendell's former chief-of-staff (from his Philly mayoral days) is now a Comcast executive VP. The topper is that Comcast is building their headquarters in Philly and were given a 7-year tax abatement to do so.
magilladke
Collegeville, PA

magilladke

I actually like Rendell! Maybe because I'm an Eagles season ticket holder The fact that he does CSN is better than him doing something illegal (or golfing) on his off time ... get Mayor Street out!

But back to the thread. If anyone knows of any other "special" pricing for Verizon or Comcast feel free to share (please).

Thanks for all the responses!

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to John97

to John97
Comcast was already based in Philadelphia; Pennsylvania made the deal to keep them in the state. (As much as you may hate this, such *sweetheart deals* tend to be all too typical to either entice or keep a major employer in a state; Maryland, my home state, did a similar deal to keep Lockheed Martin (after the merger) in Bethesda, while Texas put together a like package to entice ExxonMobil from Fairfax, Virginia.)
As far as the former Philadelphia, PA mayor's COS now being a Comcast executive VP, that is all too typical of the *revolving door* between political office and corporate boardrooms, and Comcast is far from the only company that does this. (It tends to work the other way as well, with utility-company executives and staff exiting for brief terms on the PUCs that regulate them, then going back to the very utility they came from.) Again, responsibility for *that* drops on us as voters, since obviously it's not important enough for us to let the candidates for public office know we won't put up with such shenanigans by holding their feet to the Fires Of Public Opinion until they tighten conflict-of-interest legislation to prohibit such revolving-door moves. Corporations will do all that they can get away with; however, they will do no more than we LET them get away with. In that, they are no different than flesh-and-blood persons.

As far as the conduct of Comcast and the Pennsylvania PUC, I can indeed identify with it, as here in Maryland, the Public Service Commission (the equivalent to Pennsylvania's PUC) came under tremendous heat with regards to power-company deregulation (specifically that of Baltimore Gas and Electric) from the General Assembly, who attempted to fire the entire PSC and massively alter the deal worked out between the PSC and BG&E which would allow VERY gradual rate increases over the phase-in deregulation period (fortunately, a quick-thinking Maryland Court of Appeals stepped in, holding that the General Assembly's action violated the state Constitution; even more embarrassing to the General Assembly, the PSC staff sent the General Assembly's altered deal to an outside firm for analysis, and the deal which the legislature had attempted to impose by fiat would have made the meltdown in California look like a brushfire by comparison). In addition, if you look in the Verizon Direct forums here, especially pre-FIOS, you will see that VZ came in for its own share of castigation (as did the Commonwealth PUC) for failure to modernize the telephone network in the Keystone State fast enough (and for regular rate increases signed off on by the same PUC).
I'm not holding Comcast blameless (any more than I am holding VZ blameless); however, the fact that the cops (the PUC) aren't doing their jobs falls on the elected officials (who are, in turn, responsible to us, the voters). Until (and unless) it becomes a hot enough issue where we are actually going to get involved at the ballot box and hold our elected officials truly accountable (who will in turn hold the PUC accountable), it will remain *business as usual*.
magilladke
Collegeville, PA

magilladke

Maybe we should get back to the intention of this thread. Comcast vs Verizon pricing

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to PGHammer

to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:

As far as the conduct of Comcast and the Pennsylvania PUC, I can indeed identify with it, as here in Maryland, the Public Service Commission (the equivalent to Pennsylvania's PUC) came under tremendous heat with regards to power-company deregulation (specifically that of Baltimore Gas and Electric) from the General Assembly, who attempted to fire the entire PSC and massively alter the deal worked out between the PSC and BG&E which would allow VERY gradual rate increases over the phase-in deregulation period (fortunately, a quick-thinking Maryland Court of Appeals stepped in, holding that the General Assembly's action violated the state Constitution; even more embarrassing to the General Assembly, the PSC staff sent the General Assembly's altered deal to an outside firm for analysis, and the deal which the legislature had attempted to impose by fiat would have made the meltdown in California look like a brushfire by comparison).
This is a gross misrepresentation of the situation in Maryland.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

2 edits

John97 to PGHammer

Premium Member

to PGHammer
Ugh. I give up. This thread has become a magnet for trolls and fanboys. All I know is that practically everyone I know thinks Comcast as well as their connected politicians are a bunch of f'ing thieves. I'm glad to be done with them, and I know many people who are chomping at the bit waiting for FIOS availability for themselves.