spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

System

Re: DSL installation explained from start to finish

While I can apreciate the detailed explanation, I feel one thing is very wrong here. In several instances you make mention that "Thats the way it is" and "Cant do anything about it". This unfortunatly is unwillingness from a company to get itself involved. If you have a service agreement with a telco for reselling DSL lines and such, I cannot beleive that in all that there is a clause that says "The Telco will do what it wants, and the ISP has no say over it". I would never involve myself in a business like that, and my experince with DSL so far (2 years, 1 month and 23 days TRYING to get it so far) has shown me that people just dont care anymore. I decided to see what the alternatives mkight be, and in less than 15 days I had a T1 setup, installed and configured from a company that does indeed care about getting things done.

nice tech details though.

System
You have to understand that the telco is an unwilling third party here. Sure they are mandated to provide access to their lines but that doesn't mean they have to do it well. They would rather sell you their own internet service so selling you a line instead can be viewed as being against their best interests.

Just realize that the main reason that people go elsewhere for DSL is that they don't want to deal with a telco as an ISP.

You also neglect to mention how much the T1 costs, the additional hourly fees, the line conditioning charges, the contract duration and the ISP fees. Even if these are rolled into one monthly fee they will add up to some pretty huge numbers that makes the service out of reach for the standard consumer and very profitable for the telco.

A full T1 is essentially 24 phone lines, only good for 12K feet, and requires extensive line conditioning. The telcos, in servicing a T1, not only return your calls, but they probably say thank you and hold the door open for you. DSL is much simpler, easier and cheaper to implement. A dry copper line is probably the cheapest service you can buy from a telco and probably has the lowest priority of all whereas a T1 will use the same line, conditioned, to a phone switch where it counts as 24 lines (+1 for signaling data). Even if it goes to a different service provider for internet services only the telco will still be collecting fees in installing and maintaining the line.

In a free market economy things would be different, you could punish a poorly performing company by not buying their services, but how are you supposed to punish a telco? You have to use their lines and there is no way around it.

Allow me also to restate that these are not typical cases. They happen to many people, but many telcos and technicians are reliable and responsible about their work and they do their work as well as possible.

System
you are full of it, and I dought you are even associated with anyone, that article IS the biggest bunch of crap I ever seen in my life, as one person already said, you are just trying to make excuses for the delays and make people feel like there is nothing they can do, get a grip zorch and quit making up bull***t, this forum has had way better intelligent articles than this one and better written. WE DO have choices and there ARE things we can do to change the methods, so get off your little bitty soapbox and acting you are an authority on the subject, you are really spitting it out your ass fruit. usukok

Neosum
Premium
join:2000-06-03
Oakland, CA
Many businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Whether the telcos reserve that right or even have it is a mystery to me.

In true honesty, what can you possibly do? The telco can simply tell you that after careful testing, you don't qualify and terminate your order. What can you do now?

I'm sorry, but the telco owns the lines. If you want to use it, then you'll have to go by their rules, settle for what they gave you, or be stuck with nothing at all.

I found the DSL installation explanation to be very useful and informative. I now understand the possiblities of why my DSL may be delayed. I'd rather have it later than never at all. Thanks for the info.

System
reply to Anon

Re: DSL installation explained from start to finis

A couple things to note about the ISP in this situation:

-they make the least money of the three
-they spend the most money on support/CS
-they handle the billing
-they reimburse for outages out of pocket

It's not really the best position to be in, but it's the only direction to go in for now. In some regions, partnering with a reseller is your only choice unless you have enough VC to go and colo at the COs. And if you do that, you also need a VERY good legal team to sue your ILEC occasionally for not giving you what you pay for.

It's all pretty glum, but that's how it is at this point. Line sharing should help things somewhat, in that if the ILEC tries to yank your DSL line for other purposes, they kill their own dialtone as well

It will be interesting when cable plants are opened to competing ISPs...

System
reply to Anon

Re: DSL installation explained from start to finish

Unfortunately Zorch is not full of it. I work in the customer service dept of an ISP and see exactly what Zorch describes everyday. You don't know how much I wish the article was an exaggeration!

elbm

join:2000-08-03
Reisterstown, MD
reply to Anon
The big difference between ordering a T1 vs. an ADSL is the T1 is handled by the "old phone company." A T1 order goes thru the Telco's Bussiness Office, Assignment, Engineering, I&R, Special Services, Cable Maintenance and sometimes Construction. All of which are parts of the regulated "old phone companies." These departments will get involed, in limited capacities, with an ADSL-- but are not ultimately responsible for the ADSL. Most of the ADSL work is handled buy subsidiaries and contractors. The difference being the employees of the "old phone company" have been around 20-30 years, plan on staying and know who to call when things break-down. For the subsidiaries and contractors the work is just a job, it is not a career, they have little time, little training and few contacts outside their building. DSL is just the tip of the iceberg, wait for full blown unbundling.