uniqs
share rss forum feed

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

SMTP servers

Is anyone else experiencing an SMTP outage? I can't connect to SE's SMTP server when I (try to) send email.

I've been experiencing this for the last 2 days.
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.
»www.ind-music.com

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

said by King P:

Is anyone else experiencing an SMTP outage? I can't connect to SE's SMTP server when I (try to) send email.

I got SE's service so that I could run my own mail service. So, the only time I've ever had an email outage was if my line was down - typically due to the PoP being down.
--
Everyday, thousands of new cars are delivered to their new owners with poorly-selected radio station presets.

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN

said by nixen:

said by King P:

I got SE's service so that I could run my own mail service. So, the only time I've ever had an email outage was if my line was down - typically due to the PoP being down.
I also run my own mail server, but I'm not currently at home to use it. When I'm away I rely on SE's SMTP server, but it hasn't been working for the last 3-4 days.
--
»www.ind-music.com

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA

??? Not sure I understand.

Have you opened a support case, yet?

Given the whole Best Buy thing, I'd not be surprised if more of the residential tier servers get neglected.
--
Everyday, thousands of new cars are delivered to their new owners with poorly-selected radio station presets.

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN

said by nixen:

??? Not sure I understand.

Have you opened a support case, yet?

Given the whole Best Buy thing, I'd not be surprised if more of the residential tier servers get neglected.
My mail server only allows outgoing connections from my LAN, as such when I travel I am not on my LAN to use it, hence the use of SE's SMTP server for sending outgoing mail.
--
»www.ind-music.com

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA

said by King P:

My mail server only allows outgoing connections from my LAN,
Euw, why would you limit your SMTP server that way?? Just use SSL-encrypted SMTP client authentication. That way, you can relay from anywhere (you'll want to do it on a port other than 25 - 587 and 465 are typical - so that, if you're staying at a location that redirects port 25 to their own servers you don't get boned). It's pretty trivial to set up and will avoid the reliance on SE's servers.
--

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

Does 'SSL-encrypted' SMTP authentication require an SSL certificate? If so, those can be pretty expensive. I use 'TLS if available' and my home-run SMTP server without any problem...
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

said by KoolMoe:

Does 'SSL-encrypted' SMTP authentication require an SSL certificate? If so, those can be pretty expensive. I use 'TLS if available' and my home-run SMTP server without any problem...
KM
If all you're looking to do is encrypt your session, you can use self-signed certificates. Those are free. All you gotta do is generate one. There are dozens of tutorials on how to do so.

If, however, you want MTA-to-MTA traffic to be verifiable, then each MTA has to either have a verified copy of every certificate presented or the sending and receiving MTAs need to have their certificates from a common authority that both recognize as being valid. The "common authority" certificates are the one that are expensive.

You don't, however, need verification to perform encryption. So, use self-signed certificates and save yourself a non-trivial chunk of change.
--

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

reply to KoolMoe

said by KoolMoe:

KM
As a "p.s.": TLS uses SSL certificates. If you've not installed an SSL certificate - commercial or self-signed - into your home-run SMTP server, you aren't encrypting your sessions. In other words, every time you send an email through your MTA, you're sending your login ID and password over the wire in the clear.

Try changing from "TLS if available" to "TLS". If that fails, your MTA doesn't offer TLS and your chattering in the clear.
--